Page 53 of 111 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast

Thread: Folding knives (or anything sharp) pic thread

Help...This may be easy for most of you but I am having a rough time getting an acceptable sharp edge on my Benchmade Mini-Grip.

You would think this would not be rocket science but for whatever reason I seem to have a devil of a time holding the blade angle at the right distance to get anything other than a semi-round profile. At least it seems to me.

Are these guided sharpeners you see worth anything, or should I persevere in trying to learn to hand sharpen? Specifically this one? "Work Sharp Guided Field Sharpener":

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009YKHZ96...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    Last edited by RJ; 11-25-2018 at 07:25 AM.

I use a wicked edge. It’s certainly not the answer for all knives. I also use a loaded strop and sandpaper for zero edge knives and some convex.
    The wicked edge can get the job done on a lot of knives if you put some time in. It’s not cheap but it’s precise.

I suck freehand. Horribly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rich

Director of R&D and product acquisitions at Empire Outfitters

I recently bought a Wicked Edge Go, with a couple of additional stones and strops, and couldn’t be happier. I tried learning freehand sharpening, and over time became decent, but my ocd was never satisfied. the wicked edge produces extremely sharp knives with perfectly uniform, flawless edges.
    Last edited by Maca; 11-25-2018 at 07:47 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Help...This may be easy for most of you but I am having a rough time getting an acceptable sharp edge on my Benchmade Mini-Grip.

You would think this would not be rocket science but for whatever reason I seem to have a devil of a time holding the blade angle at the right distance to get anything other than a semi-round profile. At least it seems to me.
    While I've been a knife knut most of my life, I've never developed the skill to manually sharpen knives either. I can do reasonably well with something like a Spyderco Sharpmaker, but if the knife is very dull, that is not the right tool for the job. Eventually I came to terms with my inability and bought the Worksharp Ken Onion Edition sharpener. It's not as "pure" as doing it manually, but it'll take a dull blade to razor sharp in just a few minutes with minimal effort. It was well worth the purchase price for me.

https://www.worksharptools.com/ken-o...sharpener.html

Chris

Rich, I mostly freehand sharpen but I do have an EdgePro Apex that I use very occasionally, and a Sharpmaker which is great for touch-ups and maintenance.

On bladeforums.com the rig you are asking about seems to have a pretty decent following of satisfied users. I have no experience with it myself, nor any "motorized" method.

I find doing it by hand to be the most satisfying.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Rich, reckon you are aware of this and (commendably!) prefer to go the self reliance route, but rather than botch the job I have made use of Benchmade's free Lifesharp Service for my own Mini-Grip. It came back with a fantastic edge--and it is free (you just have to get the knife to them...they used to charge $5 for return shipping, but I believe they take care of that now, too). They don't sharpen serrations, however. (Spyderco has a similar service)

https://www.benchmade.com/lifesharp-service

Quote Originally Posted by Gater View Post
    Rich, reckon you are aware of this and (commendably!) prefer to go the self reliance route, but rather than botch the job I have made use of Benchmade's free Lifesharp Service for my own Mini-Grip. It came back with a fantastic edge--and it is free (you just have to get the knife to them...they used to charge $5 for return shipping, but I believe they take care of that now, too). They don't sharpen serrations, however. (Spyderco has a similar service)

https://www.benchmade.com/lifesharp-service
    Yes, for sure, and the knife has made one trip so far to Oregon.

I am just trying to develop my skills for, you know, the zombie apocalypse and all.

But thanks for the tip, some may not know that.

Are these guided sharpeners you see worth anything, or should I persevere in trying to learn to hand sharpen? Specifically this one? "Work Sharp Guided Field Sharpener":

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009YKHZ96...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    This will be a little long.

YMMV all of this is within my limited knowledge and experience.

The skill in sharpening is to remove metal at the desired angle consistently.

Using a black felt tip marker, mark both edge bevels, this lets you see where you are actually removing metal with the sharpener. (Mechanic's Illustrated circa 1960) Also know as redneck machinists dye.

I really like the Edge Pro Apex and Professional, I find an angle guide to be helpful if I am not having my best sharpening day. I have sharpened freehand for years but some days are more accurate than others. I often touch up with a crock stick. I some times strop using, leather, cardboard, hand etc...
    I usually do not go much finer than 320-400 grit on working knives.
    On woodworking tools a more polished edge is better I think.

I have used many sharpening methods.
    Stones: Arkansas, Norton, water, DMT Diamond.
    Rods: Spyderco Sharpmaker, Round ceramic sticks (crock sticks)
    Edge Pro Apex and Professional. This is like a Lansky on steroids.

Bader 2hp, 2" x 72" variable speed grinder. Power tools can let you make POWER MISTAKES but do work fast.
    Tormek on woodworking chisels and gouges. The leather stropping wheel is nice.
    Bader buffers, be very careful with these as they will throw things into/though you if you make a mistake.

I mainly like hand sharpening on expensive knives to avoid damaging them.

A final thought.
    In the early 1990s I was in Hope AR at the ABS (American Bladesmith Society) school taking a course.
    Master Smith James Crowel was making a camp knife with about a 9” blade. He had just done the 320grit grind using a Bader 2hp 2" x 72" grinder. He stropped it on his hand and handed it to me and asked me to cut hanging rope with it. The knife cut the about 1 1/2” rope easily on a downward diagonal cut and then on an upward diagonal backhand cut.
    This showed me that with proper edge geometry a 320 grit edge was probably good enough for a lot of cutting tasks.

Site Supporter
    I use a set of stones I got from Amazon to touch up kitchen knives. While I definitely don't get them razor sharp, they'll pop hairs off my arm.

It takes a lot of practice, but gradually you get an idea of your blade's angle. It's different between kitchen knives and pocket knives and a higher quality blade, while harder to sharpen, will hold an edge for a while.

YouTube is your friend here. Lots of videos on how to use a stone to sharpen a kitchen knife. The same principles apply, but you use a steeper angle because it the heavier duty edge of a field use blade.

I'd be surprised if Benchmade didn't offer free sharpening services though.

I'd just send the griptilian to Benchmade and have them touch it up.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rich

Director of R&D and product acquisitions at Empire Outfitters

User Tag List