Page 44 of 111 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494 ... LastLast

Thread: Folding knives (or anything sharp) pic thread

Name:  IMG_20180929_102639.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  101.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Manix 2?

Manix 2 with 52100 (carbon) steel. One of my old favorite steels for traditional and outdoor knives.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

The Clinch Pick is much more utilitarian than assumed.

CP and almond cake:

Name:  IMG_2839.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  51.3 KB

Yes I did cut plenty of slices with ease using the 'inner edge'.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    The Clinch Pick is much more utilitarian than assumed.

CP and almond cake:

Name:  IMG_2839.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  51.3 KB

Yes I did cut plenty of slices with ease using the 'inner edge'.
    Any more comments on this? It does irk me to spend so much on a special purpose knife.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Site Supporter
    FWIW, The one time in the 1.4 quintillion that you need your special purpose knife, you want it to be a sharp as humanly possible. Ergo the common rec. to having another knife i.e. a small folder for all other cutting tasks.

My pair tends to be either a Clinch Pick with the grey handled Boker that CountyComm was selling some time back or that same Boker with a Soc-P (Spartan or Benchmade)

david of vcdgrips
    www.vcdgrips.com

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    Any more comments on this? It does irk me to spend so much on a special purpose knife.
    I've been meaning to write a full post on this for about a month but family health problems (requiring long flights) have made it so I don't even know when I could take the time to write fully what I want to convey; and I'm like you, I don't have any interest in carrying a knife that doesn't have any everyday utility.

Short version: the CP (especially the Ban Tang CP because it's much sharper than the China Pick), is a very practical small utility knife.

Think of it like a small, and small handled, reverse hawkbill knife. Any light utility work that you would do with such a blade, a CP can do. Mind you, I'm basically an urban/suburban dweller, so the CP doesn't get any heavy use that one might need in a more rural environment. But home work such as packages, stripping rubber from electrical wires, removing loose threads from clothing and a little mending, cutting small foods (slicing tomatoes is not easy), filleting a sole (once) and other sundry minor house work, even whittling a piece of wood (or sharpening a pencil) can be comfortably done with a CP (at least for me). In the car, because of its centerline carry, it's so much easier to access to work on cutting a seatbelt off in an emergency, or just cutting the plastic wrapper off snacks, than any folder while seated. Basically, except for slicing some foods, the CP does just about all the work that my old Spyderco Delica did. I'm carrying a Ban Tang CP, I don't carry my Delica anymore.

I hope that helps.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    I can tell you that the Clinch Pick does a a great job cleaning squirrels and trout. The blade is a good size and the egg shaped handle is very comfortable to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    I've been meaning to write a full post on this for about a month but family health problems (requiring long flights) have made it so I don't even know when I could take the time to write fully what I want to convey; and I'm like you, I don't have any interest in carrying a knife that doesn't have any everyday utility.

Short version: the CP (especially the Ban Tang CP because it's much sharper than the China Pick), is a very practical small utility knife.

Think of it like a small, and small handled, reverse hawkbill knife. Any light utility work that you would do with such a blade, a CP can do. Mind you, I'm basically an urban/suburban dweller, so the CP doesn't get any heavy use that one might need in a more rural environment. But home work such as packages, stripping rubber from electrical wires, removing loose threads from clothing and a little mending, cutting small foods (slicing tomatoes is not easy), filleting a sole (once) and other sundry minor house work, even whittling a piece of wood (or sharpening a pencil) can be comfortably done with a CP (at least for me). In the car, because of its centerline carry, it's so much easier to access to work on cutting a seatbelt off in an emergency, or just cutting the plastic wrapper off snacks, than any folder while seated. Basically, except for slicing some foods, the CP does just about all the work that my old Spyderco Delica did. I'm carrying a Ban Tang CP, I don't carry my Delica anymore.

I hope that helps.
    This.

I filleted a good-sized salmon with a Benchmade 940 a couple of months ago. I had it at the moment, it was the sharpest knife in the house, and it worked just fine.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Name:  BD678707-58EF-4865-A172-AFE36F598654.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  74.6 KB

Not a knife but it’s sharp

User Tag List