Page 87 of 111 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast

Thread: Folding knives (or anything sharp) pic thread

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    Awesome story; awesome knife. I very much wanted to create a custom bugout as I have and love the original. By the time I spec’d out the G10 and M4, it was the same price as the 560-1 Freek so I went that direction.

Attachment 64072
    I decided to get her the S20 steel instead of M4. While most of the surface is cerakoted, how is the M4 edge holding up in terms of corrosion? Do you need to oil it routinely or is the corrosion susceptibility overblown on the interwebs?

ETA: You might appreciate this. I ordered it from Benchmade due to an emotional attachment I have for them. A buddy of mine from the Corps had a friend KIA while he was with 2nd MSOB, and the only thing he could recover from his body was his charred Kabar. The company that makes Kabars never responded to emails inquiring about getting it refurbished. Spyderco answered back with a "sorry, just not in our wheelhouse but here is a refinishing kit and leather for free, godspeed".

Benchmade? Not even their knife. Benchmade took it, completely refurbed it, and mounted it on a plaque....all at no cost...and gave it back to be presented to the son of the Marine who was KIA.

Don't know about you, but shit like that makes a mark and counts with me, hence why my most recent purchases were with Benchmade and Pro-Tech.
    Last edited by TGS; 12-04-2020 at 09:59 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I decided to get her the S20 steel instead of M4. While most of the surface is cerakoted, how is the M4 edge holding up in terms of corrosion? Do you need to oil it routinely or is the corrosion susceptibility overblown on the interwebs?

ETA: You might appreciate this. I ordered it from Benchmade due to an emotional attachment I have for them. A buddy of mine from the Corps had a friend KIA while he was with 2nd MSOB, and the only thing he could recover from his body was his charred Kabar. The company that makes Kabars never responded to emails inquiring about getting it refurbished. Spyderco answered back with a "sorry, just not in our wheelhouse but here is a refinishing kit and leather for free, godspeed".

Benchmade? Not even their knife. Benchmade took it, completely refurbed it, and mounted it on a plaque....all at no cost...and gave it back to be presented to the son of the Marine who was KIA.

Don't know about you, but shit like that makes a mark and counts with me, hence why my most recent purchases were with Benchmade and Pro-Tech.
    Makes me feel better about realizing the bulk of my collection is Benchmade. Amazing that they did that for him. What year was the MSOB friend? The wife is super plugged into the Raider wife community so I end up knowing ALOT of Raiders from mainly 2nd but some 3rd dudes as well. I’ll run the name past her if you don’t mind sharing; if so, no worries. She’s helping two widows right now as she’s pretty grief-informed and our CACO system blows.

Oh yeah, we’re talking knives. The M4 has been way better than the internet would have you believe re corrosion and the sharpening has been way easier than the internet would have you believe. I think I rubbed a bit of CLP on the bevel and “butterfly “ when I first got it a month ago and it’s still good.

Makes me feel better about realizing the bulk of my collection is Benchmade. Amazing that they did that for him. What year was the MSOB friend? The wife is super plugged into the Raider wife community so I end up knowing ALOT of Raiders from mainly 2nd but some 3rd dudes as well. I’ll run the name past her if you don’t mind sharing; if so, no worries. She’s helping two widows right now as she’s pretty grief-informed and our CACO system blows.

Oh yeah, we’re talking knives. The M4 has been way better than the internet would have you believe re corrosion and the sharpening has been way easier than the internet would have you believe. I think I rubbed a bit of CLP on the bevel and “butterfly “ when I first got it a month ago and it’s still good.
    Nice, that's great to hear about the M4 steel. Definitely assuages any concerns about it...be sure to post a "then and now" in a year or so.

I'll send you a PM in a second about the other topic.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

That’s awesome on Benchmade’s part. I never served, but that story still makes me want to buy from them.

Name:  AB1CC6D2-9643-4D63-A396-F4D737D8E996.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  100.1 KB
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Site Supporter
    Carrying the ZT0350 today
    Name:  54275A33-597E-4229-B6DA-13F23144AF46.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  63.0 KB

Folding knives (or anything sharp) pic thread

Carrying the ZT0350 today
    It is totally a ZT day.

(and yes, the blade is notched, holy shit. Does ZT do sharpening?)
    Ignore Alien Orders

A few of my Striders...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    It is totally a ZT day.

Man, I tried to buy that knife the other day after seeing @Clusterfrack (I think) post pics of his. Can’t find it in stock anywhere. I bought the above Benchmade Freek instead. I guess I need to join a knife forum and start shopping the classifieds. My knife passion has recently been reignited.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    It is totally a ZT day.

Yes! Great knife. I think ZT has a sharpening service.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List