Page 27 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast

Thread: Folding knives (or anything sharp) pic thread

Calypso is a great pattern. The only one I have left is the ZDP version with FRN. The others, (micarta handled and others), got given away to family members and admirers who liked the knives when I pulled them out of my pocket some years ago. Oh well...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

^^^ what is that model?
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    ^^^ what is that model?
    It's a CQC-7a, specifically a "Beat to Hell" model they offered randomly last year. I missed out on the drop, but caught this one second hand. I've not seen another one since, so it may be the only 7a they made like that.

Here's a better pic that shows the acid washed finish, along with the recently discontinued Baer TRS (likely posted this pic already).

^^^^Stop. You'll make me want to get back into Emersons.
    ― Ennius

^^^^Stop. You'll make me want to get back into Emersons.
    Haha! Oddly, they leave much to be desired compared to more modern designs, but I've been drawn to them for as long as I can remember. Kind of like the 1911.

I prefer the classics (7, 8, Commander) and their pointy/pokey/stabby ones (Persian, Kwaiken, Hattin).

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Haha! Oddly, they leave much to be desired compared to more modern designs
    Like what, for example?
    ― Ennius

Like what, for example?
    1- Liner lock vs things like Frame lock, Compression lock, and Axis lock. Liner isn't terrible, but they all come sticky, must be broken in, and wear out quicker than others. This is exponentially true if you Wave the knife a lot.
    2- 154CM Steel - Ernie is starting to offer more knives in S30V and more recently S35VN. There is a story behind his loyalty to Crucible and 154CM, which I find admirable, but the knife world has moved well past 154CM, especially in the EKI price range.
    3- Chisel bevel on everything - this is a preference thing, but is noticeable when cutting things like cardboard or fruit.
    4- Thick and heavy for size - Due to non-milled (lightened) stainless steel liners (non-lock side), thick G10 on both sides, and a beefy steel pivot.
    5- Blade to handle length ratio - Much more handle than blade, which attributes to the increased weight.
    6- Price - compared to similar offerings with same or better materials.

Keep in mind, some of these "con's" actually contribute to "pro's" like toughness and ease of maintenance. That list reads like, "then why the hell would you want one", but I quite enjoy them for what they are. I own and like Emerson's for the same reasons I own and like Glocks*, because they're tough, easy to maintain, and they flat out work.

Did I just compare Emerson's to 1911's in one post, and then Glocks in the next? Somewhere, someone is kicking a puppy.
    Last edited by StraitR; 07-21-2018 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    2- 154CM Steel - Ernie is starting to offer more knives in S30V and more recently S35VN. There is a story behind his loyalty to Crucible and 154CM, which I find admirable, but the knife world has moved well past 154CM, especially in the EKI price range.
    I have one Emerson. Wasn’t as sharp as my Benchmades, and didn’t hold its edge long either. Wonder if this is the reason.

User Tag List