Page 28 of 110 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast

Thread: Folding knives (or anything sharp) pic thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have one Emerson. Wasn’t as sharp as my Benchmades, and didn’t hold its edge long either. Wonder if this is the reason.
    The only Emerson I ever owned was a "Commander". I preferred a v-grind and wasn't particularly wild about the recurve so ended up selling it to someone who desperately wanted it. Fit and finish on mine was quite good.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have one Emerson. Wasn’t as sharp as my Benchmades, and didn’t hold its edge long either. Wonder if this is the reason.
    The baseline steel for Benchmade is CPM154 if I'm not mistaken, and as a powdered metallurgy version of 154, is a step above 154CM. Edge retention would be better in the CPM version.

As for sharpness, that's likely a matter of who put the better edge on from the factory. Every Emerson I've ever purchased new has come hair popping sharp (albeit a bit toothy), and as much as I dislike the chisel bevel at times, they are extremely easy to maintain and/or resharpen, IME.

One of my favorites...

Folding knives (or anything sharp) pic thread

I love the Emerson Wave. I just got back from a two day Systema camp focused on handheld weapons. There was a lot of knifework, and I was one of only two using a folding trainer. I held my own with the fixed blade folks, but the other dude with a conventional folder got tired of losing and switched to a fixed.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....2L._SX466_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00URWYM00..._wovvBbGC87NX8
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 07-22-2018 at 11:04 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Trainers are a must (for me) when it comes to learning and utilizing the wave feature reliably. Each model wave's differently (Commanders are easy, CQC-8 is hard, for example) and each pair of pants/shorts require little tweaks of the technique. I'd much rather do that with a trainer.

Those little Emerson/Kershaw trainers are built pretty well, and they also make great learning tools for kids. Bought my daughter one for her 5th birthday last year. The penny is her challenge coin. haha

My Emerson Trainers

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    The baseline steel for Benchmade is CPM154 if I'm not mistaken, and as a powdered metallurgy version of 154, is a step above 154CM. Edge retention would be better in the CPM version.

As for sharpness, that's likely a matter of who put the better edge on from the factory. Every Emerson I've ever purchased new has come hair popping sharp (albeit a bit toothy), and as much as I dislike the chisel bevel at times, they are extremely easy to maintain and/or resharpen, IME.
    I should see if I could send it back and have it properly sharpened. For $200, it was pretty disappointing.

Busse AK47 (American Kensei 47"), Busse Battle Mistress (with sharpened clip point), Busse Fighter, Busse Skelly Worden (paracord wrap) and the OSK (Oh Shit Knife) from Okuden.

Name:  Blades.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  41.2 KB

@newyork Epic little BT sticker there.

My latest pokey/stabby thing, an Emerson Kwaiken in Grey G10. I love the scimitar design, but the Emerson P-Tac is little more than a defensive knife. The Kwaiken, with it's more robust tip and slimmer handle, keeps the scimitar characteristics but lends itself to more utilitarian use as well as easy carry.

I love that Kwaiken.

Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    I love that Kwaiken.
    I agree!

I've got a Kwaiback on backorder. Picture courtesy of Brous Blades.

User Tag List