Page 109 of 111 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,090 of 1102

Thread: Folding knives (or anything sharp) pic thread

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Speaking of Emerson, I am completely smitten by the “Super Elvia.”
    There is something brutally utilitarian about Emersons. Here’s the Mini Roadhouse I gave Girl #2 for graduation. The other side is etched with her name. She carries it a lot.

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    I got rid of all my Emersons. I didn’t love the chisel grind but absolutely couldn’t stand the grind being on the wrong side of the blade for a Right Hand use. As a defensive weapon it may not have mattered, but for any outdoor use…I just couldn’t stand it. And I use my knives. But man, I vibe with some of his designs like the Roadhouse above!

I have one Emerson, and at the time was the most expensive folder I owned. It lost its edge in no time. Sample of one, for sure, but fool me once and all. I have probably a dozen or so Benchmades, and have been happy with each. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have one Emerson, and at the time was the most expensive folder I owned. It lost its edge in no time. Sample of one, for sure, but fool me once and all. I have probably a dozen or so Benchmades, and have been happy with each. YMMV.
    They do lose an edge quickly. The flip side is being able to touch it back up using a coffee mug.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    They do lose an edge quickly. The flip side is being able to touch it back up using a coffee mug.
    My CQC-7F has S35V, and holds an edge very nicely. I do agree that the chisel grind making slicing apples a challenge…

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    My CQC-7F has S35V, and holds an edge very nicely. I do agree that the chisel grind making slicing apples a challenge…

There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    There is something brutally utilitarian about Emersons. Here’s the Mini Roadhouse I gave Girl #2 for graduation. The other side is etched with her name. She carries it a lot
    My one daughter carries a La Griffe. I tell her, “Without it, you’re a 120lb weakling. With it, you’re a velociraptor.”

I once asked my (then) self-defense teacher for instruction in knife fighting. He said, "It's just like what your are learning presently, but with a knife." I knew, even as he spoke, that he was telling me what he was told when he was younger and asked his teacher, but what he was told was wrong. Knife fighting, in any of it's varieties, is unique.

Please, if it is possible your daughters might elect to use a knife defensively, make sure they receive the best available instruction before the fight. It will make a difference.

A peaceful man is capable of great violence, but he keeps it under control. If a man is not capable of violence, he is not peaceful. He is just harmless. (Jordan Peterson)

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    I once asked my (then) self-defense teacher for instruction in knife fighting. He said, "It's just like what your are learning presently, but with a knife." I knew, even as he spoke, that he was telling me what he was told when he was younger and asked his teacher, but what he was told was wrong. Knife fighting, in any of it's varieties, is unique.

Please, if it is possible your daughters might elect to use a knife defensively, make sure they receive the best available instruction before the fight. It will make a difference.

Yes. Great point (pun intended).

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    My one daughter carries a La Griffe. I tell her, “Without it, you’re a 120lb weakling. With it, you’re a velociraptor.”
    Suggestion: Father/daughter EWO class with @SouthNarc
    https://shivworks.com/course-schedule/
    Would be money & time well spent.

Had two of those burgeoning 100lb velociraptors in our class in NH. I gifted a Fred Perrin Chestnut to one of them.

Since this is a pic thread:
    Name:  71362893972__8244394A-FEFA-4135-A416-51C0163A190A.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  72.5 KB
    We all learned a lot & left better armed.
    Last edited by jandbj; 02-29-2024 at 11:22 PM.

User Tag List