Before:

Name:  20200824_075432.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  83.8 KB

After:

Name:  20200824_075359.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  92.5 KB

Used spicy brown mustard for a basic line pattern then sheathed it in an onion overnight for overall patina.

Not quite the results I was hoping for. Lessons learned - I used the brown mustard because I figured it wasn't as runny as yellow. The brown though was hard to toothpick a pattern in because of the thicknesses. I used the onion for overall patina since it seemed to make sense from online reading but it made a messy blotchy pattern on the blade. If I try this again think I'll go yellow followed by a vinegar bath.

ZT 0620 Emerson, scale from https://g10.lt/

"You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    ZT 0620 Emerson, scale from https://g10.lt/

Stop. You're killing me with the knife and the watch.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Opinel No. 8 Carbone a la mode Demi Lune

Continuing evolution of the experimental Opinel. Last pics in this thread were an attempt at forced patina. Next steps -

Dremel sanded a finger groove, on both sides, to expose the blade enough for one handed opening:

Name:  20200920_184445.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  80.9 KB

Disassembled (the pivot pin was a pain to punch out. My understanding is this is normal). Sanded the pivot contact area of the handle to let the blade open and close easier. Sanded the handle body to remove the orangish stain from the factory. Stained the handle in Black Cherry:

Name:  20200920_184520.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  78.5 KB

Reassembled and re-oiled:

Name:  20200920_184550.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  78.3 KB

Name:  20200920_184646.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  93.3 KB

Learning as I go. Apparently not too horrible results. Wife is thinking we make more, maybe with carved initials, as Christmas gifts...

Buck 110 Auto Elite.
    S30V steel, black G10 scales, brushed nickel silver bolsters.
    Snaps open pretty hard, locks tight, razor sharp out of the box (there's a Band-Aid on my finger that proves it).
    I have a custom leather pocket clip slip coming for it.
    Old school cool.

Looks like shit in this picture due to the lighting, but in person it's sweet.

Name:  20200929_100756.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  89.0 KB
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Buck 110 Auto Elite.
    S30V steel, black G10 scales, brushed nickel silver bolsters.
    Snaps open pretty hard, locks tight, razor sharp out of the box (there's a Band-Aid on my finger that proves it).
    I have a custom leather pocket clip slip coming for it.
    Old school cool.

Looks like shit in this picture due to the lighting, but in person it's sweet.

Name:  20200929_100756.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  89.0 KB
    Hmmm, the pocket clip slip is an interesting idea I've never heard before. My first and favorite "lock back" knife was a buck 110 and an auto version looks cool as hell...

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Better pic of the Buck 110 Auto Elite

Name:  buck110auto.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  103.4 KB
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

New knife. Really digging this one.

Name:  IMG_5664.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  39.3 KB

Even though the bugout can realistically handle any task I need I've had the itch for that big beefy tactical folder. While the market is saturated with them I wanted one that would also cut. This thing is awesome. It's a super thick slab of m390 ground very thin. I measured it at .020" behind the edge. I ordered this through the service personnel program which I would highly recommend to any Leo/mil/first responders. It's a substantial discount.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Name:  6E42BB73-BF65-4195-AE43-ABC9A1F12224.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  37.9 KB

I may well have a Delica problem. From the top:

Plain old VG-10 Delica 4. This is the knife I use at work and it’s probably cut more stuff than any other knife I own
    Next is one of the half serrated versions
    Third is a ZDP-189. This was my first “high end” steel knife. Really like it a lot.
    Bottom one just came today. It’s a Knifeworks Exclusive is CTS-204P. I got it because I really wanted something in M390, but just couldn’t find exactly what I wanted. My reading indicated that 204P is damn near identical, and as you can see, I love me some Delica so it seemed like a perfect match. Bonus points that it was only like $5 more than a regular VG-10 model.

User Tag List