Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger FINALLY offers 7-shot .357 GP100

So if one wanted their first real revolver in .357, would they be better off with the GP100 or a 4” Redhawk?

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    So if one wanted their first real revolver in .357, would they be better off with the GP100 or a 4” Redhawk?

Either, though the GP100 will be a bit more carry-friendly. The Redhawk will stand up to ANYTHING you can put through it. The original 357mag Redhawks are reputed to be nearly indistructable. The additional weight also dampens recoil.

Now, in terms of trigger quality, the 6-shot GP I had was better than my 44mag Redhawk, but lots of shooting, some clean-up, and lubrication has made the Redhawk's DA trigger smooth enough. Neither will be a finely tuned S&W trigger.

If *I* were buying one, I'd get the Redhawk and start playing with hot & heavy 357mag loads. The GP100 doesn't do anything for me (scratched that itch already).

Chris

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

Personally, the GP100 Match Champion is the .357 to beat. I prefer the GP100 trigger to the Redhawk in terms of both weight and progression. The grips work better for me, and there are a ton of aftermarket offerings if the ones that come on it don't.

I'd sell my Redhawk long before my GP100 MC or Wiley Clapp.

Some blatherings about said GP100 here: https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/r...atch-champion/

Disclaimer: i have never owned or fired a Redhawk

IMO the GP100 for the following reasons:
    1. Match Champion MSRP is $100 less vs the Redhawk, new 7 shot model is $150 less
    2. Match Champion weighs 6oz less, 7 shot is 4oz less, a pretty good tradeoff for one less round it seems to me
    3. GP100 is really easy to work on especially for stuff like lowering the DA weight
    4. GP100 is already tough enough to handle any reasonable .357 loads, don't see what you would gain with the bigger Redhawk frame unless you want to handload to .357 Maximum type loads
    5. GP100 already very controllable with typical .357s, unless you really dislike recoil I don't imagine the benefit of the Redhawk's extra weight will be noticed

The Redhawk does look really classy though, if you are just getting it to plink with at the range perhaps that factor outweighs all the practical stuff

The 2.5” version looks so very, well, business-like. Not quite as business-like as my .454/.45 Super Redhawk Alaskan, but business-like enough. (One must watch his choice of words, when describing what may be used defensively, someday.)

A seven-shot GP100 would tend to complicate the speed loader logisitics, so I am not sure I am in a hurry to add a seven-gun, but I may decide it is worth the bother.

I will say that, personally, it is SO GOOD to see the original-pattern OEM grips!
    Last edited by Rex G; 12-09-2017 at 10:54 AM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    If you planned to shoot a lot of .357, I think the 5-inch GP100 with full lug would probably be a sweet spot. A little more length and weight to soak up recoil, but not so front-heavy like the 6-inch. Of course, I keep bidding on 6-inch half-lugs, so...
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I agree with Rex, I really like the looks of the 2 1/2" but I already have six-shot GPs in 4" and 5" so I'd like to keep them the same

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    If you planned to shoot a lot of .357, I think the 5-inch GP100 with full lug would probably be a sweet spot. A little more length and weight to soak up recoil, but not so front-heavy like the 6-inch. Of course, I keep bidding on 6-inch half-lugs, so...
    The six-inch “half-lug” GP100, or what I would call non-lugged, with what I consider a mere ejector-rod shroud, is GP100 Nirvana. I have one, and want another. Don’t we all own “braces” of our favored handguns?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I reckon Nirvana would be sending one of the new six-inch seven-shooters to Mr. Bowen and having him de-lugify it along with everything else he does. There'd be a little purgatory to pay for it, of course.

Hmmm. Wondering if Ruger could be talked into swapping the guts to make a six gun into a seven gun.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 12-09-2017 at 04:45 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I reckon Nirvana would be sending one of the new six-inch seven-shooters to Mr. Bowen and having him de-lugify it along with everything else he does. There'd be a little purgatory to pay for it, of course.

Hmmm. Wondering if Ruger could be talked into swapping the guts to make a six gun into a seven gun.
    Since I'm one of those types who can only dream of serious custom work...
    I like the second bit. After your post I just had to speculate on the idea of a Match Champion with the 7-shot cylinder.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
    Was once told "your goals should always just exceed your grasp."
    Which hits different when the goal is to get back up to "mediocre"...

User Tag List