Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Ruger FINALLY offers 7-shot .357 GP100

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Seven-shot MC is not likely to happen. It was created to compete in IDPA SSR against S&W's 686 SSR. There's a six-round limit in that class.
    Quote Originally Posted by vaglocker View Post
    A 3 inch Wiley Clapp version would have me seriously thinking about getting back into revolvers
    The big thing for me is just the Novak-style fixed sights. They're rugged, replaceable, I can see them, and by-far the most important thing is that they look cool. I'm not actually concerned what they call it or what other features it has, I just want those sights on 3" and 4" guns. But the closer to a Wiley Clapp and Match Champion the better.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by vaglocker View Post
    A 3 inch Wiley Clapp version would have me seriously thinking about getting back into revolvers
    If they do that, then I'm just going to have a couple or four checks just direct deposited to the Ruger sales office with the SP101s I'm already looking to pick up in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    The 2.5” version looks so very, well, business-like. Not quite as business-like as my .454/.45 Super Redhawk Alaskan, but business-like enough. (One must watch his choice of words, when describing what may be used defensively, someday.)

A seven-shot GP100 would tend to complicate the speed loader logisitics, so I am not sure I am in a hurry to add a seven-gun, but I may decide it is worth the bother.

I will say that, personally, it is SO GOOD to see the original-pattern OEM grips!

Today, in two different stores in central Ohio, I saw six shot GP100s with the 2 1/2" barrels. I hadn't noticed those on Ruger's website last time I checked.
    Last edited by BobM; 04-08-2018 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Today, in two different stores in central Ohio, I saw six shot GP100s with the 2 1/2" barrels. I hadn't noticed those on Ruger's website last time I checked.
    https://ruger.com/products/gp100/specSheets/1763.html

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I was looking into one of these, and it looks like there was a design flaw in this 7-shot model. There's rumor on one of the following links that the design had enough tolerance for the flaw to be engineered-out in subsequent batches, but that's just a rumor. No confirmation from Ruger.. It looks like Ruger is willing to give full refunds to anyone unhappy with their 7-shot model.

The flaw, specifically, is that seven cartridges with rim diameters greater than .435 will not be able to fit into the seven-shot cylinder at the same time. The SAAMI spec for max rim diameter in .38 Special and .357 Mag is .440. This means that certain brands or batches of SAAMI spec ammo might not fit inside the cylinder. There are some reports that ammo will fit going in, but thermal expansion will push the rims together after firing, making it difficult to eject casings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETlvR8zezgo

https://rugerforum.net/ruger-double-...0-problem.html
    https://rugerforum.net/ruger-double-...ds-merged.html
    https://nygunforum.com/threads/just-...-shot-4.20648/

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    That ended up being discussed elsewhere. Once I got my head around it, I forgot about 7 shots and bought a Lipsey's half-lug.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    So if one wanted their first real revolver in .357, would they be better off with the GP100 or a 4” Redhawk?
    As much as I am a dyed-in-the-wool pre-lock S&W guy, it's hard to argue with a nice GP for less than what a S&W brings.

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    As much as I am a dyed-in-the-wool pre-lock S&W guy, it's hard to argue with a nice GP for less than what a S&W brings.

When I finally get around to getting a real wheelgun, it’ll most likely be a GP100 with Altamont grips.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Sorry if this was covered and I missed it while reading through...…

...but why this instead of an 8-shot Redhawk?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Sorry if this was covered and I missed it while reading through...…

...but why this instead of an 8-shot Redhawk?
    New or used, the GP is less expensive than the Redhawk and will still hold up to a lifetime of sane (and some not so sane) loads. The GP is built like a tank but the RH is just a horse of a revolver. If you're plan was for nuclear loads or attempting to get .357 Max performance without buying a Max the RH would serve you well IMO.

The GP is easier to get a nice trigger on than the Redhawk because of the difference in spring and trigger geometry. I do not recall the specifics, but it's something about the RH using 1 spring for the hammer and trigger instead of 2 separate springs IIRC. A nice trigger can be had on a RH but it's more difficult with less room for error and correspondingly more expensive.

On a personal level, I prefer the GP grip to the RH. I also think centerfire revolvers with more than 6 rounds are borderline heresy but that's not important right now...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List