Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Hippie diet?

Site Supporter
    Yup - I'm a cheapskate, and if someone has the foundation to setup our little garden up for success and feed us more, and cost us less money, then I'm all for using it for my food stuffs.

Perhaps you're thinking of a 1/4 acre? There are numerous books out there describing how much food can be grown on the typical 1/4 acre suburban lot. For example:

https://www.amazon.com/Maximizing-Your-Mini-Farm-Self-Sufficiency/dp/B015X4O5SU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1511990011&sr=8-4&keywords=1%2F4+acre+farm

I've read most of these books. They are inspiring AND there is a certain amount of flim flam going on. It's mathematically feasible in many climates to grow enough food to support, say, a family of four on a 1/4 acre but it depends on a large number of things, and everything needs to go just right.

There is a HUGE market for books, seminars, videos on workshops that purport to teach people how to be "self sufficient" on small parcels of land. Vastly more people are supporting themselves writing these books and conducting these classes than are actually living off their land. I've often joked that permaculture is a multi level marketing scheme with vegetables.

My wife and I bought six acres four years ago, and it's been an adventure. First, it's extremely difficult to work a full time job, and do all this stuff, but you have to have a full time job to pay for the land. Second, there's a huge learning curve to this, and you'll see crops fail, fruit trees die, and etc.

That doesn't mean it isn't worth doing. Every calorie we provide for ourselves is a win. It's just that it isn't as easy as many of these books and etc make it out to be. Also, working on our land is much healthier than sitting on our asses watching TV.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    I meant 1/10th - the less acrage, the less overall work to tend to, and since I'm the 'planner' for house things (sans decoration), less headaches. Stuff every inch with co-habitual supporting plants, and give me food with the minimal amount of weeding, and little to no watering.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    I meant 1/10th - the less acrage, the less overall work to tend to, and since I'm the 'planner' for house things (sans decoration), less headaches. Stuff every inch with co-habitual supporting plants, and give me food with the minimal amount of weeding, and little to no watering.
    Sounds nice, but

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    Sounds nice, but

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Which is the time for reading, seed catalogue perusal, and beer - not for planting. Look at it as a supporting block for clean eating. That said, we're not going to do any gardening next year - we'll be road mobile next summer, ala Rich.

For all the no sugar comments:

I eat pretty clean but could always do better, I have a sweet tooth for things like dates, figs, grapes, pineapple. I eat some almost every day.

Are those sorts a thing no-go because of the sugar?

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post

I eat pretty clean but could always do better, I have a sweet tooth for things like dates, figs, grapes, pineapple. I eat some almost every day.

Smarter people than me say that sugar is sugar, but it is not as bad when it comes from fruit.

People who are sugar nazis will tell you that you shouldn’t eat fruit. Fruit is not only sweet, because it has a little sugar in it, which is natural sugar btw, but it’s also packed with vitamins, minerals, and fiber.

So if you want to eat fruit, go for it. Just don’t turn into Steve Jobs and make it the ONLY thing you eat. Everything in moderation and all that. But I will say that, in general, your average piece of fruit has less sugar than your average candy bar.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

The glycemic index of 250ml of Coca-Cola is 63 the load is 16.
    The glycemic index of grapes is 59 the load is 11.
    Snickers bar index is 51 the load is 18.
    The higher the index (glucose=100) the quicker the spike in blood sugar levels.
    The load is how big of a spike it'll be.
    A load of below 10 is considered low (good) a load of above 20 is high.

Basically Coca-Cola and grapes both give you a spike about the same time, but the soda will raise it slightly higher.
    A Snickers bar takes longer to spike your blood sugar but the spike is greater.

Boiled white rice.... index 72... load 29... !!!
    Last edited by JodyH; 11-29-2017 at 07:52 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Wow! I've never paid attention to glycemic index.

I like fruit, but I guess I should cut back a little.

User Tag List