Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Hippie diet?

Don't go shopping when you're hungry. That's the easiest way to derail any diet.

Don't wait until you run out of food to go shopping.

You're better off getting a burger, and eating a little bit of crap before you go shopping, than shopping hungry and leaving with a cart full of crap.

IMO that's 90% of succeeding right there.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    Okay thank you. Maybe if there is to much pushback on the hippie term. I do not want to tick anyone off over a stupid title thats all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Or double down and replace "hippie" with "hipster"?

OOOOHHHH Hey I'm happy to be hipster about paleo, craft beers, craft bourbons, good coffee, my beard.

Naw it's all good.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    In all seriousness, a program is out there that will be easy to follow and stick with your requirements. It's called Whole 30, eliminates the stuff that adds a disportionate amount of carbs/starches by weight/volume, and there ya go. The book should be rentable at your local library, comes with recepies, but that's easy to google if you want. You will have to do meal planning and take a day to prep things out unless you want to loose a fair amount of time each day (trade 1 day for several hours vs. 7 days for 1+ hour).

Cooking in an electric pressure cooker was a god send during this process, and really sped up cooking every meal. We bought a second one after going through this, and use them both routinely now for the same meal.

I did it last month (hardest thing was no alcohol). I maintained 13% body fat before/during/after, but lost inches everywhere. Needed to drop a few belt notches, wrist watch needed a link taken out, etc. I'd imagine if I was higher in the body fat to start with I would be a lot lower.

I LOVE my electric pressure cooker.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    In all seriousness, a program is out there that will be easy to follow and stick with your requirements. It's called Whole 30, eliminates the stuff that adds a disportionate amount of carbs/starches by weight/volume, and there ya go. The book should be rentable at your local library, comes with recepies, but that's easy to google if you want. You will have to do meal planning and take a day to prep things out unless you want to loose a fair amount of time each day (trade 1 day for several hours vs. 7 days for 1+ hour).

Cooking in an electric pressure cooker was a god send during this process, and really sped up cooking every meal. We bought a second one after going through this, and use them both routinely now for the same meal.

I did it last month (hardest thing was no alcohol). I maintained 13% body fat before/during/after, but lost inches everywhere. Needed to drop a few belt notches, wrist watch needed a link taken out, etc. I'd imagine if I was higher in the body fat to start with I would be a lot lower.
    Whole 30 is pretty strict but I've seen two people have quite dramatic results from it. And eating healthy the whole time of course.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Ordered, thank you. Ill use any tool I can get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    You want hippie?
    If you haven't already check out the documentary Food, Inc. on NetFlix or Amazon Prime. Check out a Joel Salatin on YouTube. Joe Rogan did a good podcast a couple weeks ago with Chris Kresser.

I started down this rabbit hole a couple years ago. I find it pretty fascinating how much of our food absolute garbage, even the stuff on the edges of the grocery store. The vast majority of meat, egg and dairy animals are raised and slaughtered in inhumane ways. They are fed food they are not designed to eat and pumped full of hormones and antibiotics (despite what the packaging says) to keep their miserable selves alive just long enough. Organic, free range and cage free don't mean what you think it means.

Modern agriculture is destroying the environment. Top soil and biomass are being eroded destroyed. Fertile soil is being turned to dust and blown away. Never mind that well managed grasslands and forests make great carbon sinks for all those terrible CO2 emissions. Our agriculture policy in this country (all over the world, really) is absolutely destructive. It incentivizes big destructive corporations (Tyson, Smithfield, ConAgra, Monsanto, etc) and makes it very difficult and expensive for small regenerative farmers to do business.

I'm not proposing new policy here. I'm not saying "something should be done." We shouldn't put the people who $*%*ed the system up in charge of fixing it. I am suggesting that you, as an individual, voluntarily choose to learn about this and then individually and voluntarily act. [/rant]

Look at ingredients in your packaged foods. Educate yourself. Everything the government told you (food pyramid, etc.) is a lie. So is a lot of the AMA advice. Eat a lot of veggies, meat and eggs. Don't be afraid of real fats. It's pretty difficult to overeat that stuff. Dairy is not a perfect food and fruit isn't free (Weight Watchers).

Ideally we would be growing our own food, or at least buying it locally from known farmers. Do the best you can. Buy cookbooks and learn to cook from scratch. A lot. It really is the best way to control what you're eating. I like resources like Alton Brown (Good Eats) and 4-Hour Chef by Tim Ferriss that actually teach technique over recipe. Even if you make your own food with evil pasta and bread, it's still going to be better than the crap you get at Olive Garden or from a can. It's cheaper too.

Remember that processed food and fast food is specifically designed to be hyper-rewarding to your pallet. Moving towards a hippie diet is difficult because real food isn't.
    Imagine being married to a dietitian- the huge side benefit of her food obsession is the ease of which recepie books get filled with vetted good recepies. But seriously - I’m with you on it. My current favorite is the book 1/10th acre farm.

Site Supporter
    Right on. My wife and I love our hippie food.

We get our meat from farmers and try to hit the organic when we can - more for environmental issues then health but that is a rabbit hole.

Breakfast is eggs fried in lard, lunch is a salad with protein, dinner is protein with vegetable. Snacks are Clifbars (not really non-processed), nuts, popcorn, and homemade fruit leather. I often with hit a high sugar treat, it is what my body craves at times.

Shop the outer ring of the grocery store, don't bring the juke food home. Eat junk food once and a while, you won't feel good, and it will encourage you to keep on the path. Make small changes and keep them going.

One blessing of having MSG triggered IBSD is that I can't eat most junk food.
    I've also lost my taste for sweet sodas
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    One blessing of having MSG triggered IBSD is that I can't eat most junk food.
    I've also lost my taste for sweet sodas
    I've never been a soda drinker, but the first thing I noticed when I had my first cheat meal after eating clean for 2 months was how much salt and how much sugar things have that I used to eat all the time. I used to be able to kill a whole Costco cinnamon roll, now I can't even eat half of one.

User Tag List