Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Hippie diet?

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    This topic is one reason I am getting back into hunting, really hard to go more organic then harvesting your own animal
    Cannibalism is way better bro, it's recycling.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    A hippie diet would be vegetarian to vegan in nature and would be striving to “juice” that in every conceivable way.

What you’re trying to do is eat as many whole and I processed foods as possible which really is the way all of us should be doing it. As has been mentioned before spend your time in the meat and produce sections. Eat grains, sugars, and dairy sparingly. Want salad dressing? Use olive or grape seed oil.

The fewer “ingredients” in your food the better. Natural complex carbs are good like rice and potatoes. If you want bread, eat it sparingly and/or make it yourself. As a general rule you should probably eat more vegetables than anything else. Fruits aren’t the devil, they make great snacks and desserts. And by desserts I mean “have an apple or some raspberries” not “eat half a cherry pie”.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy
    I agree on the veggie thing. The “hippie” thing was more the all natural deal. A poor taste at humor you could say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also if a mod wants to change the title, I understand.

We try to eat that way as much as possible. With some folks, diet approaches an almost religious fervor. We aren't quite that serious about it, but we try to opt for better options when we can. It helps that we have land, can grow produce, have a neighbor that keeps chickens, are friends with organic farmers, etc. I'm super bummed the freezer is empty this year. Wild meat leaves us feeling satiated earlier than other meat and we feel good when we eat it.

One thing we've noticed is that when we are travelling, and eat crappier, processed foods, we often have a feeling sort of like being mildly hung over after a couple of days. I don't think it's just the stress of travelling, I think it really is something about the food. Part of it is that we dont' add much salt to our food, and it abounds in the outside world. I think there's some other stuff at play too.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I also eat a lot of eggs. We have chickens so they're never in short supply. I also start off the day most days with Kale and spinach shakes. You can get a whole lot of greens into your system this way, way more than if you tried to sit down and eat them. I mix in berries and protein powder. First time you drink one though you better be near a bathroom. Those greens hit the intestines and it's mass exodus.

You want hippie?
    If you haven't already check out the documentary Food, Inc. on NetFlix or Amazon Prime. Check out a Joel Salatin on YouTube. Joe Rogan did a good podcast a couple weeks ago with Chris Kresser.

I started down this rabbit hole a couple years ago. I find it pretty fascinating how much of our food absolute garbage, even the stuff on the edges of the grocery store. The vast majority of meat, egg and dairy animals are raised and slaughtered in inhumane ways. They are fed food they are not designed to eat and pumped full of hormones and antibiotics (despite what the packaging says) to keep their miserable selves alive just long enough. Organic, free range and cage free don't mean what you think it means.

Modern agriculture is destroying the environment. Top soil and biomass are being eroded destroyed. Fertile soil is being turned to dust and blown away. Never mind that well managed grasslands and forests make great carbon sinks for all those terrible CO2 emissions. Our agriculture policy in this country (all over the world, really) is absolutely destructive. It incentivizes big destructive corporations (Tyson, Smithfield, ConAgra, Monsanto, etc) and makes it very difficult and expensive for small regenerative farmers to do business.

I'm not proposing new policy here. I'm not saying "something should be done." We shouldn't put the people who $*%*ed the system up in charge of fixing it. I am suggesting that you, as an individual, voluntarily choose to learn about this and then individually and voluntarily act. [/rant]

Look at ingredients in your packaged foods. Educate yourself. Everything the government told you (food pyramid, etc.) is a lie. So is a lot of the AMA advice. Eat a lot of veggies, meat and eggs. Don't be afraid of real fats. It's pretty difficult to overeat that stuff. Dairy is not a perfect food and fruit isn't free (Weight Watchers).

Ideally we would be growing our own food, or at least buying it locally from known farmers. Do the best you can. Buy cookbooks and learn to cook from scratch. A lot. It really is the best way to control what you're eating. I like resources like Alton Brown (Good Eats) and 4-Hour Chef by Tim Ferriss that actually teach technique over recipe. Even if you make your own food with evil pasta and bread, it's still going to be better than the crap you get at Olive Garden or from a can. It's cheaper too.

Remember that processed food and fast food is specifically designed to be hyper-rewarding to your pallet. Moving towards a hippie diet is difficult because real food isn't.
    David S.

I'm not a calorie counter.
    What I do is moderate my calories by how I eat.
    I start my meals with a leafy green salad and a large glass of water.
    Then I put a serving of vegetables on my plate and eat them.
    Then I put my protein on the plate and eat that.
    Finally I get around to the carbs if I have any.
    They key for me is eating my food in that order and getting my portions in that order.
    I get mostly filled up on water, greens and protein that way and the carbs kind of self limit because I'm full by the time I get to them.
    I try not to fill the plate and then start going through down the list... it's too easy to "clean your plate" whether you're actually still hungry or not.
    Works for me anyway.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    I agree on the veggie thing. The “hippie” thing was more the all natural deal. A poor taste at humor you could say.

It got the ball rolling just fine.

But you are now eating like a primitive. A paleo primitive.

But yeah, we've been eating pretty close to paleo for some years too. My wife is also pretty "organic", grassfed etc etc focused too.

I cheat like a boss with the alchohol but what the hell.
    Last edited by JHC; 11-29-2017 at 12:35 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    If you wish to change the title of your thread, just ask. We don’t generally make editorial changes unless they are requested.
    Okay thank you. Maybe if there is to much pushback on the hippie term. I do not want to tick anyone off over a stupid title thats all.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    You want hippie?
    If you haven't already check out the documentary Food, Inc. on NetFlix or Amazon Prime. Check out a Joel Salatin on YouTube. Joe Rogan did a good podcast a couple weeks ago with Chris Kresser.

I started down this rabbit hole a couple years ago. I find it pretty fascinating how much of our food absolute garbage, even the stuff on the edges of the grocery store. The vast majority of meat, egg and dairy animals are raised and slaughtered in inhumane ways. They are fed food they are not designed to eat and pumped full of hormones and antibiotics (despite what the packaging says) to keep their miserable selves alive just long enough. Organic, free range and cage free don't mean what you think it means.

Modern agriculture is destroying the environment. Top soil and biomass are being eroded destroyed. Fertile soil is being turned to dust and blown away. Never mind that well managed grasslands and forests make great carbon sinks for all those terrible CO2 emissions. Our agriculture policy in this country (all over the world, really) is absolutely destructive. It incentivizes big destructive corporations (Tyson, Smithfield, ConAgra, Monsanto, etc) and makes it very difficult and expensive for small regenerative farmers to do business.

I'm not proposing new policy here. I'm not saying "something should be done." We shouldn't put the people who $*%*ed the system up in charge of fixing it. I am suggesting that you, as an individual, voluntarily choose to learn about this and then individually and voluntarily act. [/rant]

Look at ingredients in your packaged foods. Educate yourself. Everything the government told you (food pyramid, etc.) is a lie. So is a lot of the AMA advice. Eat a lot of veggies, meat and eggs. Don't be afraid of real fats. It's pretty difficult to overeat that stuff. Dairy is not a perfect food and fruit isn't free (Weight Watchers).

Ideally we would be growing our own food, or at least buying it locally from known farmers. Do the best you can. Buy cookbooks and learn to cook from scratch. A lot. It really is the best way to control what you're eating. I like resources like Alton Brown (Good Eats) and 4-Hour Chef by Tim Ferriss that actually teach technique over recipe. Even if you make your own food with evil pasta and bread, it's still going to be better than the crap you get at Olive Garden or from a can. It's cheaper too.

Remember that processed food and fast food is specifically designed to be hyper-rewarding to your pallet. Moving towards a hippie diet is difficult because real food isn't.
    Preach it!

I think many people reject what you just side, because they reflexively associate it with a kind of "tree hugger" liberal agenda. This is one case where the folks that get labeled "liberal" are absolutely right. Our food industry is insidiously poisoning us. Big Macs kill way more people every year than bump stocks.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List