Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Hippie diet?

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    “Most important meal” is a load of crap, IMO.
    It's a quote from Checkov's Metamorphosis, which, while I know pretty much jack/shit about Russian literature, is the one about the dude that turns into a cockroach...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Kafka. If Chekhov had written Metamorphosis Uncle Vanya would have tuned into a potato.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Hippie diet?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I’ve been very consistent last 11 days. Getting about 1,600 calories, and been focusing on eliminating sugar/carbs, and increasing protein and fats. The scale is heading in the right direction, and I am down a notch on my EDC belt.

I have a question though. I want to refactor breakfast when I start in cooking again (our kitchen is going through a reno) next week. I’d like to list what is a typical breakfast for me, and ask for advice on takeaways/adds y’all would suggest:

- 2 mugs strong coffee
    - Packet Truvia per mug
    - 1 T half and half per mug

- 2 fried eggs
    - Olive oil
    - 3 pcs Canadian Bacon *or*
    - 2 pcs Bacon

Thoughts?

I’m wondering if I should:

- Ditch the creamer for a T of Kerrygold butter? (I can’t stomach Coconut oil)

- On the Truvia, I have a wicked sweet tooth, but I noticed the Truvia has carbs. Is there a sweetener that doesn’t have carbs and doesn’t cause cancer in lab rats?

- Add 1/2 Avocado?

- Is there a better breakfast protein? I normally hate turkey, but what about these turkey patties?

Any other suggestions I might be missing would be appreciated. I’m very much a creature of habit so I don’t mind having exactly the same thing day after day.

Thanks!
    So, the last three days I’ve:

- Removed the usual two packets of Truvia (6 g carbs) and two T of half and half (2 g carbs) from my coffee

- Added a t of Kerrygold Irish butter (good oil, no carbs)

I think long term this is a significant change, not that those net 8 carbs were killing me, so much as they were hidden. I’m now trying to get below net carbs of 30, 20 being a target, and that wasn’t helping.

Definitely seeing an effect, I’m down a solid 4 lbs, shirts are looser and the gun belt down a notch, is looser also. Looking for a good loss for Feb from my logged weight of 198 to at least 194 and hopefully lower on 3/1. Being as I’ve really been only focusing on diet the last 14 or so days, I’m optimistic for March.

I also discovered a motivational app called 8fit with some manageable exercise programs and reminders, kind of like an electronic coach. Tried it out this morning and I liked it.

It says my 25% fat weight is 174, which is probably much closer to where I should be. So, I have about 20 lbs to go.

Last edited by RJ; 02-27-2018 at 10:07 AM.

Rich have you ever tried cinnamon in your coffee? I like to add some occasionally as a change of pace.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    Rich have you ever tried cinnamon in your coffee? I like to add some occasionally as a change of pace.
    Huh.

No but that sounds interesting. The coffee with butter is not bad, just kinda.. buttery. I’ll try the cinnamon though.

Thanks!

Vaguely related. Joe Rogan had an fascinating conversation with Matthew Walker, professor of Neuroscience and Psychology, on sleep.

Sleep deprivation significantly reduces your ability lose weight.
    8 hours of quality sleep is hugely important.
    You are probably not one of the few people that can thrive on reduced sleep.

David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Vaguely related. Joe Rogan had an fascinating conversation with Matthew Walker, professor of Neuroscience and Psychology, on sleep.

Sleep deprivation significantly reduces your ability lose weight.
    8 hours of quality sleep is hugely important.
    You are probably not one of the few people that can thrive on reduced sleep.

This is my biggest problem and has been my whole life. If I can get 5-6 a night I am doing good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I eat a lot of eggs, probably 4-6 boiled eggs a day.
    I eat a lot of avocados, usually 1 or 2 a day.
    I use a lot of salted ghee (clarified butter) as a condiment and to "fry" things in.
    I eat a lot of tuna packaged in water, and a lot of chicken and beef.
    I have a lot of green leafy salad (with an egg, meat and avocado in it). For dressing I use avocado oils.
    I do not go zero carbs because I work out hard 4 days a week and a few carbs help with recovery and sleep.
    I go as close to zero on sugar as I can.

What I don't do is have a restrictive diet that's doomed to fail.
    If I want a steak, baked potato, beer and a small dessert... I eat it with no regrets.
    I just don't deliberately eat carbs/sugar more than once or twice a week.
    This is basically my diet. I try to get as much plant based as I can stand and mix it up with lean meats.

I still enjoy ice cream but try to limit it to once a week.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List