Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Hippie diet?

Take it one step up, do "an advanced planning". Get the raw lab data, you'll also need your blood pressure, then calculate your projected CV risk. This is the current basic predictive tool we use http://tools.acc.org/LDL/ascvd_risk_...ate/estimator/. You can also download a free app for your phone. I teach my patients about it, most find it very helpful.

Calculate your current 10 year predicted risk, see if you like it. This is a long term game and age weighs in very heavily; if you're younger, your risk gets negated quite a bit. So change your age to +10 years and see what it will be then assuming other parameters stayed unchanged. Play with other parameters if you'd like. It is a very thought provoking exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    The foods I ate growing up in the '70's may externally resemble the food that is in the stores today... but it's not the same thing.
    Hormones, genetic modification, corn syrup, aliens, Soylent, something has changed in the US food supply for the worse over just the past 40 years much less over the past 80 years.

or Soylent Meal Replacement Products?
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Take it one step up, do "an advanced planning". Get the raw lab data, you'll also need your blood pressure, then calculate your projected CV risk. This is the current basic predictive tool we use http://tools.acc.org/LDL/ascvd_risk_...ate/estimator/. You can also download a free app for your phone. I teach my patients about it, most find it very helpful.

Calculate your current 10 year predicted risk, see if you like it. This is a long term game and age weighs in very heavily; if you're younger, your risk gets negated quite a bit. So change your age to +10 years and see what it will be then assuming other parameters stayed unchanged. Play with other parameters if you'd like. It is a very thought provoking exercise.
    That's awesome! Thanks for the info, YVK. I will definitely request the raw lab data when I go in for the next one in 3 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diet is going strong. Biggest problem is eating organic/grass fed all the time. But no dairy/cheese. Been going almond/coconut milk. Just started the smoothie game last week. Wish I did it earlier.

Dropping the processed shit is exactly how I have gotten here. I feel better and have more energy. I have never starved myself or just eaten a bunch of fat.

Meat
    Potatoes
    Fruit
    Vegetables

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hippie diet?

I’ve been very consistent last 11 days. Getting about 1,600 calories, and been focusing on eliminating sugar/carbs, and increasing protein and fats. The scale is heading in the right direction, and I am down a notch on my EDC belt.

I have a question though. I want to refactor breakfast when I start in cooking again (our kitchen is going through a reno) next week. I’d like to list what is a typical breakfast for me, and ask for advice on takeaways/adds y’all would suggest:

- 2 mugs strong coffee
    - Packet Truvia per mug
    - 1 T half and half per mug

- 2 fried eggs
    - Olive oil
    - 3 pcs Canadian Bacon *or*
    - 2 pcs Bacon

Thoughts?

I’m wondering if I should:

- Ditch the creamer for a T of Kerrygold butter? (I can’t stomach Coconut oil)

- On the Truvia, I have a wicked sweet tooth, but I noticed the Truvia has carbs. Is there a sweetener that doesn’t have carbs and doesn’t cause cancer in lab rats?

- Add 1/2 Avocado?

- Is there a better breakfast protein? I normally hate turkey, but what about these turkey patties?

Any other suggestions I might be missing would be appreciated. I’m very much a creature of habit so I don’t mind having exactly the same thing day after day.

Thanks!
    Last edited by RJ; 02-23-2018 at 06:24 PM.

Site Supporter
    I've started eating less and less for breakfast and I don't miss the calories. Just 1-2 cups of good black coffee and maybe two eggs fried in olive oil. Once in a while a bowl of steel cut oats (sweetened with Truvia) for variety. Then on Sundays my wife and I eat a bigger breakfast with either sausage or bacon and eggs or maybe some waffles for a treat.

One of the challenges for me is just facing the fact that I need less calories as I get older, even though I still work out regularly.

Site Supporter
    @Rich_Jenkins - The last few weeks I have beeen add about a 1/2 cup to 1cup of cooked vegetables to my 2 eggs. I’ve noticed A longer time before I am hungry again and the added fiber beneficial. I will fry up a quart of vegetables on Sunday for the week ahead.

It took me a long time to move to black coffee but I found it superior in the long run. I have since moved to black tea to green tea to this week no caffeine which is going to suck. I would keep rocking the green tea but Doctor order elimination diet.
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 02-24-2018 at 09:45 AM.

I typically skip breakfast. “Most important meal” is a load of crap, IMO. Skipping breakfast is the easiest way to extend your fast and apparently a lot of positive things happen metabolically when you continue to fast after waking up.

I don’t think fat consumption is bad for you like sugar/carb consumption, but I don’t go out of my way to add fat to my diet either. I eat whatever fat just happens as part of what I eat. I prefer normal/whole fat to low or non fat products. Fatty cuts of meat? Oil based salad dressing? Avacados? No problem. My goal is to improve the quality of fat intake (grass fed > CAFO, butter > margarine, olive/coconut oil > grain/soy based oil) rather than increase/decrease quantity. I’m not sure we should be consuming fat for its own sake, particularly if your goal is weight loss.
    David S.

User Tag List