Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Hippie diet?

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    It's controversial, probably because "it depends." Some argue that whole grains offer little to no benefit over more processed grains. Most argue whole grains are much healthier.

YMMV, so choose your experts, I guess.
    And due to differences in genetics, gut bacteria, and a bunch of other factors, we all process foods differently.

During the great gluten panic a couple of years ago there were some studies that indicated simple whole-grain breads caused far fewer problems than commercial baked goods that often had added gluten for easier processing.

Try different things and give the changes time. Take notes. Become an expert on yourself.
    Last edited by peterb; 12-05-2017 at 05:55 AM.

Thanks in part to this thread, I’m down 2.6 lbs over the last three weeks. I’m noticing belt and pants are slightly looser.

Generally logging all food into MyFitnessPal and walking longer in the day. I increased flax intake and that’s really moving things along.

I also pretty much eliminated nuts (I was plowing through handfuls of Costco Premium Cashews daily) as well as ODing on Cheddar.

We bought a bag of apples so I have one for a snack now.

Appreciate all the good advice in the thread. I think I’m headed in a better direction now.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Thanks in part to this thread, I’m down 2.6 lbs over the last three weeks. I’m noticing belt and pants are slightly looser.

Generally logging all food into MyFitnessPal and walking longer in the day. I increased flax intake and that’s really moving things along.

I also pretty much eliminated nuts (I was plowing through handfuls of Costco Premium Cashews daily) as well as ODing on Cheddar.

Appreciate all the good advice in the thread. I think I’m headed in a better direction now.
    Sounds like it!

My dietitian wife’s favorite phrase is ‘progress, not perfection’

Just keep that in mind and you’ll keep making progress and the tough times won’t impede overall progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post

1-2# a week is steady "real" progress, not just a water weight cut.
    Good job.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    1-2# a week is steady "real" progress, not just a water weight cut.
    Good job.
    Agree. It's also sustainable.

Don't get too hung up on that one number either. I've been at 170 +/- 3 lbs for a year now, but my composition has changed dramatically.

5# a month doesn't make for good ad copy when you're selling a diet.
    But 5# a month is 60# a year.
    That's going from 250 to 190... that's a life changer.
    Last edited by JodyH; 12-05-2017 at 08:08 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

@Rich_Jenkins good job dude!

Nuts are great, but cashews are pretty rough as they have a high fat and carb content.

As to the frother, I am a fan of one or a bullet style blender. It definitely improves the consistency of the buttered coffee. A vigorous hand and a shaker bottle will do just as well in a pinch.

Get yourself a few kettle bells and start squatting, bud. That's the next major step you can take to improving your progress. More for the hormone production than the actual exercise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post
    Get yourself a few kettle bells and start squatting, bud. That's the next major step you can take to improving your progress. More for the hormone production than the actual exercise.
    ^^^ THIS ^^^
    Kettlebells are the single best piece of exercise equipment you can own IMO.
    Buy yourself a 20Kg and do Goblet squats and Russian swings.
    That single kettlebell will travel well in your trailer and you can do squats and swings just about anywhere.
    A 20Kg is pretty light but good to learn proper swing technique (just heavy enough to encourage proper form, light enough that you won't get hurt with poor form).
    20Kg squats and swings at a good pace is great cardio.
    With a 20Kg you can also work into one arm swings, cleans, presses, snatches and rows as your fitness level increases.
    When you've mastered the single 20Kg buy a second one and start all over with doubles.

Two 20Kg kettlebells also make awesome trailer awning guyline weights for when the wind gets up and your awning starts bouncing.
    Multi-purpose!
    Last edited by JodyH; 12-05-2017 at 08:47 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    ^^^ THIS ^^^
    Kettlebells are the single best piece of exercise equipment you can own IMO.
    Buy yourself a 20Kg and do Goblet squats and Russian swings.
    That single kettlebell will travel well in your trailer and you can do squats and swings just about anywhere.
    A 20Kg is pretty light but good to learn proper swing technique (just heavy enough to encourage proper form, light enough that you won't get hurt with poor form).
    20Kg squats and swings at a good pace is great cardio.
    With a 20Kg you can also work into one arm swings, cleans, presses, snatches and rows as your fitness level increases.
    When you've mastered the single 20Kg buy a second one and start all over with doubles.
    Over the past 26 years or so I've kept up a pretty good workout habit including martial arts, lifting, and some cardio. I just recently added a kettlebell to my workouts and I agree. I started with a 35lb bell and multiple sets of four exercises: squats, swings, lat pulls, and overhead presses. It's important to use good technique so watch some good videos or get a book. There are lots of videos that show the wrong swing technique -- they should not look like squats with a swing at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    There are lots of videos that show the wrong swing technique -- they should not look like squats with a swing at the end.
    Onnit Academy YouTube channel is a great resource.

The core KB exercises IMO, Russian swing and the Goblet squat:

Last edited by JodyH; 12-05-2017 at 08:59 AM.

User Tag List