Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bullseye Shooting?

Bullseye is wonderful practice for my rifle shooting (HP and smallbore), I can't imagine it wouldn't be even more helpful to the much more closely-related-to-bullseye skill "speed" pistol shooting. If you can shoot well one handed at 50 yards at a 3" 10 ring, or 5 shots in 10 seconds at 25 yards at a 3" 10 ring, I would expect you could pretty easily adapt to just about any rifle/pistol skill.

The bullseye shooters that I've seen give High Power (position rifle shooting) pick it up much faster than most of the rifle guys like me pick up bullseye.

Quote Originally Posted by DonovanM View Post
    Reading Brian Enos' book has imparted me with the doctrine that accuracy is the ultimate fundamental. Everything else builds off of your ability to hit stuff.

I don't think it would help pure speed shooting, like at say 8" targets at 7 yards or closer, but I think it would help just about everything else, especially speed at distant or small targets.

I would kill to be on a collegiate pistol team. I'll try to find a university with one once I'm out of community college.
    Looks like Seattle University might have a pistol team. http://www.nrahq.org/compete/college...State=WA&Disc=

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Looks like Seattle University might have a pistol team. http://www.nrahq.org/compete/college...State=WA&Disc=
    http://sumarksmanship.org/

Awesome.
    All I know is that I know nothing. - Socrates

Up until recently, all my shooting had been bullseye. Two years ago, I started some self defense shooting with a group. Sadly, we don't do it anymore, but that got me interested in this aspect of shooting. I still believe that accuracy is important.

Yesterday, for the first time, I was in a USPSA shoot. My scores were good, but my times were long. As I started shooting, and began to put them all in the 'A' area, I heard a few comments about "bullseye shooter".

It was interesting. I hadn't shot at steel before, and one was quite tricky. It pivoted back and forth at different speeds when you knocked plates off. I got them all, but took 20 shots for 10 plates.

When I do it again, accuracy will still be more important to me than speed. At the new shooter class for the match, the presenter said this: "You can't miss fast enough".
    Owner, Bear River Holsters

Public schools: putting the "K" in Quality.

Site Supporter

bulleye shooting

The local sportsman's club used to have a bulleye league every Monday night. I competed regularly in the winter months and irregularly the rest of the time.

We shot the National Gallery Course at 50 feet with .22 target pistols. The first season I competed (1984 I think) I shot my Ruger Standard Auto. Then I bought a used High Standard Citation target pistol (with the fluted 7-1/4 inch barrel) and I used that until the club closed in 2006.

If I was shooting on a regular basis, which meant competing on Monday and shooting through the course 3 or 4 times in practice on Thursday evening, my average was 255 to 263 (I keep a log on EVERYTHING)

I enjoyed the precision of shooting bullseye and I wouldn't mind getting back to it again sometime.

The Army Marksmanship Unit Manual on bullseye shooting is really good.

The Pistol Shooter's Treasury by Gil Hebard also has LOTS of good information for formal target shooting (and also PPC) and you should be able to find a used copy from Amazon.com for pretty cheap.

www.bulleyepistol.com is THE internet resource on formal target shooting

User Tag List