Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bullseye Shooting?

Bullseye Shooting?

Does anyone here participate in formal "bullseye" competition?

I'm considering doing so, mainly because, well, I'm an "accuracy" guy and I think it would be fun.

Any thoughts on how training for bullseye competition would impact "speed" shooting?

In December I shot 1500 rounds. 1000+ was SHO on a B8 target. My shooting improved dramatically. Particularly shooting "rapid fire" 5rds in 10 sec was a big help, you still need to be quick from the holster for this.

We are diminished
    When I first started shooting, bullseye was about the only thing allowed at the range and I got involved in a league. It was tremendously helpful. There's a league that shoots at the NRA Range now and if my scheduled allowed for it, I'd join. You can never be too accurate.

My introduction to formal pistol shooting was through NRA Collegiate Pistol, which is all bullseye shooting. Shooting free pistol, 10m air pistol, and standard pistol all created a superb foundation of accuracy for me as a shooter. No sport has taught me as much about the importance of sight alignment and trigger control as trying to press an 8 ounce trigger on my free pistol without messing up my sights.

Wow, pretty hard to argue with the comments/experiences so far.

Looks like I'll be adding "bullseye" into the mix.

And here I have an S&W Model 41 doing nothing......
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    And here I have an S&W Model 41 doing nothing......
    I picked one up after putting some rounds through The Chad's; I'd LOVE a Hammerli or Pardini but the S&W 41 should do me for awhile.

I shot 3 position rifle in college and ISU rifle after that. Did one year of small bore pistol in college just because they needed to fill out the team. Great experience and tough to beat for getting your sight alignment and trigger control burned into your brain.

My son just started shooting with a local club in their junior rifle program. He is 11 so he is doing 3 position rifle and loves it. If he is interested he will be able to start doing pistol in another year.

I'll answer from a different point of view.

Never shot any bullseye competition, pistol or otherwise (GSSF is closest but is not bullseye.)

Other people here seem to routinely kick my ass badly at, you guessed it, bullseye shooting - like on the 300.

So maybe it's a good idea!

Reading Brian Enos' book has imparted me with the doctrine that accuracy is the ultimate fundamental. Everything else builds off of your ability to hit stuff.

I don't think it would help pure speed shooting, like at say 8" targets at 7 yards or closer, but I think it would help just about everything else, especially speed at distant or small targets.

I would kill to be on a collegiate pistol team. I'll try to find a university with one once I'm out of community college.
    All I know is that I know nothing. - Socrates

User Tag List