Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: HR 38

I don’t think general distrust of government intervention is a fear without warrant.

I’ll admit that I haven’t followed any links or read anything that isn’t in this thread. Maybe you guys are right: out of the blue, for no political reason that I can see, Congress agrees to massively improve individual rights.

Or it’s a trick.

I really don’t know, but based on their track record, I’m extremely skeptical that the long term goal of this is more freedom. I’m willing to have my mind changed over this.
    David S.

Site Supporter
    Jeeze, this went south quickly. I tell you what TGS, assuming this law is passed, let’s wait 5 years and see where we are. Then we can have a seminar on the issue somewhere convenient to discuss how it evolved. Probably won’t be as much fun as SeanM’s proposed weekend, but with some imagination we can probably figure something out.

If the bill passes, I bet both the SSA and VA will be excluding gun owners unless Congress steps in again.

The lawyer thing: Just wanted you to know that I too know 2A and RTBA law, particularly after being corrected by a real 2A lawyer. I didn’t want you to think I worked in the property room with Dagga Boy.

My position on this is take it if we can.

Yeah, I know it would be better to get rid of the laws on a state level...but does anyone think NJ is ever going to bend or California is going to change?

Liberals have spent decades arguing the interstate commerce clause gives big fed the authority to do damn near anything - so use it against them.

Either I'm going to be sitting in Wolf & Lamb in Manhattan with a handgun under my shirt legally...or they will find a way to undercut the interstate commerce clause hard...

So anyway you slice it, we win.

Personally - I'm looking forward to my venison steak...

I smell a p-f group eating if that's the case ��
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

'FIX THE FIX NICS' BILL WOULD MAKE LEGISLATION STRONGER, SAYS CCRKBA | Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
    ‘FIX THE FIX NICS’ BILL WOULD MAKE LEGISLATION STRONGER, SAYS CCRKBA
    Monday, December 4th, 2017

BELLEVUE, WA – When Congress considers legislation, possibly this week, to “fix” the National Instant Check System (NICS), it should also adopt amendments that will cut down on false positives and make other changes to prevent unwarranted denials, the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms said today.

“We’re calling it the ‘Fix the Fix NICS’ bill,” said CCRKBA Chairman Alan Gottlieb, “because these amendments will make this legislation better.”

There are four suggested amendments that Gottlieb favors. One would require that NICS use all descriptors provided in conducting background checks because “too many people get denied who shouldn’t,” he said. Another amendment would add language requiring the Attorney General to take such actions as may be necessary, including withholding funds, to prevent a State imposing regulations that result in a Federal Firearms Licensee charging for a background check pursuant to section 922(t) of title 18, United States Code, and to penalize a State that does so.’’

An important third tenet would require the Attorney General to annually submit a written report to Congress that contains a detailed review of all background checks conducted by the NICS system “where people were initially denied from acquiring a firearm and then also those whose cases were deemed not eligible for prosecution, including a review of the process for making the determinations, each step included in that process, and a statistical analysis of the age, race, gender, and national origin of, or any other identifying information provided on a Firearm Transfer Record form (ATF Form 4473) about, the persons about whom the erroneous determinations were made.

A fourth amendment requires that all the numbers be disaggregated by age, race and gender. Gottlieb believes people are presently more likely to be denied if they are a minority.

“As it is now,” Gottlieb explained, “this ‘Fix the Fix NICS’ language will cut down on false positives. It also reduces the likelihood of imbalance.”

“It’s important for gun owners to contact their congressional representatives and encourage them to consider the ‘Fix the Fix NICS’ bill when it comes up for consideration,” he concluded.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I'd rather the Feds lead the way by REMOVING federal laws that infringe on the 2nd amendment instead of making yet another law...
    That's what progress looks like.

Sorry.

Progress is when she answers the phone. Removing all infringing federal laws is penetration. Without the former, there is no latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    Sorry.

Progress is when she answers the phone. Removing all infringing federal laws is penetration. Without the former, there is no latter.
    Good ANALogy.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    God help the person that shoots an illegal alien, defending himself, while visiting San Franciso.
    No prob. Don’t visit SF... or, conversely, plan your infil and exfil with dilligence. You’re welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I was trying to use a "head explode" gif to share my feelings of "whoa, mind blowing!" but I'm digitally impaired.
    No. No, you’re not. "Ack ack ack Ack" is perfectly acceptable response.

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    It seems we are ready to throw out the baby simply because in the future it could dirty up some bath water.
    Nope. Diaper that bitch up, and take “yes" for an answer.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 12-04-2017 at 09:38 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell, Esq. View Post
    Either I'm going to be sitting in Wolf & Lamb in Manhattan with a handgun under my shirt legally...or they will find a way to undercut the interstate commerce clause hard...

So anyway you slice it, we win.

Personally - I'm looking forward to my venison steak...
    Absolutely IN.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Absolutely IN.
    You realize this place is Kosher so...no bacon...

User Tag List