Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Difficulty in gripping gun with appendix draw

I suck my gut in, keep the thumb flagged, and get my middle finger up against the trigger guard. Trying to get something like a full one handed firing grip in any type of holster has never worked for me even OWB.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanM View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

To clarify, what does everyone mean when the say "my thumb is flagged"?
    Roughly perpendicular to the bore axis, maybe closer to 45 degrees. Depends on gun and hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
    Roughly perpendicular to the bore axis, maybe closer to 45 degrees. Depends on gun and hands.
    As mentioned by Leroy, it would generally mean somewhat "up and out of the way" depending on what was being attempted...

The following image displays a strong hand thumb that is flagged...provided simply for the purpose of illustration. (Not my image.)

Last edited by blues; 11-29-2017 at 11:30 AM.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Ride height makes a difference too. I usually use a Minuteman Defense Gatcaddy with a built-in wedge, it's adjustable for height and cant. I carry at a medium height (with a slight cant back towards my hip, that's just preference). This keeps almost the entire grip out of the waistband.

As others have said, I "snatch" the pistol out. The web of my hand hits high in the beavertail and I wrap my fingers and pull, and the thumb wraps as I'm coming out. Of course this is all very quick, and my thumb's in place before I've cleared my waist. But I don't plow down and yank up.

It also helps that I'm a fairly thin guy with no gut.

Some good food for thought here, especially for a beginner like me. I'm going to experiment with this idea of "snatching" the pistol out of the holster, wrap fingers around first, and then wrap my thumb last in establishing the grip with my right hand.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanM View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

To clarify, what does everyone mean when the say "my thumb is flagged"?
    Attachment 22011
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I was having the same problem.. but I got a great tip that really changed a lot for me!!.. When drawing grip the gun normally, three fingers on grip, index finger indexing away from the trigger, but position your thumb's knuckle over the rear plate of the guns slide. In other words "flag" your thumb straight up behind the gun. The three fingers do all the work in the draw and when you snap your thumb off the rear plate of the gun into a normal "master" grip (after the gun leaves the holster) it falls perfectly in place high under the bore. This allows for a quick draw and alleviates the need to struggle to get your thumb in "perfect" placement at the beginning of the draw. There is no loss in time or safety, and you gain consistency.

hope that helps in a small way.
    Last edited by Krad813; 11-30-2017 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krad813 View Post
    but position your thumb's knuckle over the rear plate of the guns slide.
    I do, or did, similar when I was building the mechanics for drawing from AIWB. Kind of like putting your thumb on the back of the slide like you would holstering with a SCD, only going in reverse. I would actually put the pad of my thumb a little higher, kind of starting to wrap over the top of the slide onto the rear sight, which helped to pull the web of my hand higher onto the grip.

At speed, I don't know that I am still touching the rear of the slide like that, but my thumb is definitely flagged up and out of the way, so there is no need to try to get it between the gun and my body.

I don't really finish bringing my thumb down into a full firing grip until l establish my support hand grip and am starting to extend toward the target. (count 4 of a 4 count draw) At that point my strong hand thumb comes down, takes off the thumb safety, and rides the safety for firing.
    Last edited by archangel; 11-30-2017 at 10:16 AM.
    Anti-astroturfing disclaimer: I am the owner of Bagman Tactical (custom tactical nylon).

Quote Originally Posted by archangel View Post
    I do, or did, similar when I was building the mechanics for drawing from AIWB. Kind of like putting your thumb on the back of the slide like you would holstering with a SCD, only going in reverse. I would actually put the pad of my thumb a little higher, kind of starting to wrap over the top of the slide onto the rear sight, which helped to pull the web of my hand higher onto the grip.

At speed, I don't know that I am still touching the rear of the slide like that, but my thumb is definitely flagged up and out of the way, so there is no need to try to get it between the gun and my body.

I don't really finish bringing my thumb down into a full firing grip until l establish my support hand grip and am starting to extend toward the target. (count 4 of a 4 count draw) At that point my strong hand thumb comes down, takes off the thumb safety, and rides the safety for firing.
    You two beat me to it but that's the same idea I discovered after some dry fire practice last night. What is starting to work for me is to put my "flagged" thumb on the back of the beaver tail / slide / rear sight area as I reach down to start my draw. From there, I able to "fish" the pistol out of the holster with my fingers on the grip and then build the rest of my grip. I feel like this is more efficient, faster, and the pistol is in a good position in my right hand from the start.

User Tag List