Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Difficulty in gripping gun with appendix draw

Question Difficulty in gripping gun with appendix draw

Pistol is a Glock 19 gen 4 with the large beavertail backstrap. Holster is "Appendix Carry System" from Black Rhino Concealment. I'm a 6'3", 200lbs guy with normal(?) size hands. I've been shooting / training / dry firing for about a year.

When I draw from appendix, I cannot seem to get the "full firing grip" on the pistol that every instructor preaches. I can sort of do it but it involves gripping the gun while pushing the grip away from body while my thumb is parallel to the ground and between the holster and my body. Even when I do this, my grip is still not optimal because the gun is not completely in line with my wrist / forearm if that makes sense. I have to sort of adjust it when my left hand joins the grip in mid draw. I might try to post pictures later because I'm sure I'm not describing it as well as I can. This doesn't feel like an efficient movement and I'm definitely giving away tenths of a second because of it. How do you wrap your fingers high around the pistol in one smooth, fluid motion?

I think the issue is because the grip of the gun is so closely rotated into my body. Good for concealment but bad for drawing. I feel like if I had an OWB holster with the grip just hanging out a few inches from my body, I could grab the gun and draw it no problem.

How the heck are some of you guys able to grip and draw it so effortlessly? I realize this is the product of thousands of repetitions but I'm not even sure of the best technique to begin with. Any advice? How do you draw from appendix when the pistol is so tight against your body like that? Aren't all appendix holsters basically putting the gun in the same position?

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Watch the fifth video posted here and tell me if that looks like what you're doing.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Post a video.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Yes, you are correct. You have to wedge your thumb between your body and your gun, it does take away some time, it does have to be done, it gets better with training and repetition, the more tucked in your is the more it is a factor. Some people use less tuck, it makes it easier. Then again, Gabe and I use muzzle level wedges in excess on one inch thick and we do OK with the draw. Just practice. Establish your initial contact points, drive your hand there, try not to push gun away from the body more than you need. Some pistol / hand size combinations alleviate it to a some degree.
    The only thing about your technique I am not sure about is thumb being parallel to the ground. My thumb is reasonably neutral, it just goes to where it belongs on a frame, the act of wedging it between holster and body is sufficient to give enough clearance to obtain my firing grip.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I personally don't drive my thumb deep between the pistol and my gut, maybe I got too much gut. I somewhat keep my thumb in what I would call a "flagged" position and the thumb starts to move lower as the pistol starts coming out of the holster. I kinda "snatch" the pistol from the holster as opposed to driving the pistol down into the holster, setting my grip, and then drawing it.

There is sound advice for methodology but everyone develops their own nuanced technique. Reaction and hand speeds matter, but for the life of me I cannot pull off the technique as quick or effortlessly as some here make it look. Despite my body structure and 3 shoulder surgeries on 2 shoulders not helping out, I still prefer this mode of carry and I am pretty reliable on my technique. This is what works for me.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    I personally don't drive my thumb deep between the pistol and my gut, maybe I got too much gut. I somewhat keep my thumb in what I would call a "flagged" position and the thumb starts to move lower as the pistol starts coming out of the holster. I kinda "snatch" the pistol from the holster as opposed to driving the pistol down into the holster, setting my grip, and then drawing it.

There is sound advice for methodology but everyone develops their own nuanced technique. Reaction and hand speeds matter, but for the life of me I cannot pull off the technique as quick or effortlessly as some here make it look. Despite my body structure and 3 shoulder surgeries on 2 shoulders not helping out, I still prefer this mode of carry and I am pretty reliable on my technique. This is what works for me.

That is also how I do it. I don't advocate it over other methods but it does work for me.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by RyanM View Post

I feel like if I had an OWB holster with the grip just hanging out a few inches from my body, I could grab the gun and draw it no problem.

I hesitate to offer any advice after some very respected members, but I’m about to order a Mitch Rosen Upper Limit OWB holster for my G5 Glock 19. I’ll post the assessment in my training journal next month.

I currently use one AOWB for my P30SK (I’m switching to the Glock for EDC). I tried AIWB with a JM CK for the P30SK, but the geometry of my body type (old, fat) did not really end up being comfortable at all.

The UL is excellent. I get the fast draws of Appendix, and the OWB fit wears well. I can drive the truck, sit to eat a meal, or work around the house easily. Only drawback is I normally have to use a pattern untucked shirt for concealment. But that fits in with my retired geezer disguise, so it works for me. I bought their “Express” model and I really like it.

I contacted MR to ask if the longer grip of a G19 would make it unstable in a UL, and they indicated they made UL for G19’s frequently. I’ve also seen at least one member here say they carry a similar G19 size Sig in an UL. So it seems a reasonable bet to me, given the advantages of that holster.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    That's pretty much how I do it as well, Surf, which is just the way my hand naturally interacts with the gun / holster and how my rotator cuff feels most comfortable in doing so. It seems more instinctive than anything else.

The thumb is more alongside the frame and very slightly elevated than actually gripping it, (though the web is mashed in),... in a position awaiting closure over the base of the support hand thumb.

(Kinda cool given that your advice helped focus my efforts quite a bit several months ago when I was working on transitioning my grip.)
    Last edited by blues; 11-29-2017 at 09:12 AM.

I flag my thumb and "snatch" the pistol into my hand with my fingers.

I drive towards the gun with my hand open (like it would be if it was flat on a desk).
    If I'm doing a two handed draw my off hand grabs the bottom of my shirt and lifts it, I use my primary hand flagged thumb to help lift them shirt hem.
    Single hand draw my primary fingers lift the shirt and again the flagged thumb slips between the shirt and my chest to keep it out of the way.
    I drive down until the base of my thumb hits the backstrap.
    My middle/ring/pinky finger curl onto the frontstrap.
    I then use my fingers to snatch the pistol out of the holster and into my palm.
    As the pistol comes out of the holster there's more and more room for my thumb to slip between the grip and my abs.
    By the time the muzzle clears leather I have a full firing grip.

If my goal is to just get a solid firing grip on the pistol but not immediately draw then my open hand goes down until the base of my thumb hits the backstrap and my flagged thumb wedges its way in by curling in between the slide and my body.
    I never wedge my thumb in by going straight down behind the slide/grip from the top.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Thanks for the replies.

To clarify, what does everyone mean when the say "my thumb is flagged"?

User Tag List