Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Holster Your Handgun Slowly, Not Quickly

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    As POCONNOR noted, there are some circumstances where LEOs need to re-holster as quickly as possible in order to go hands on with a suspect. Like when your partner is rolling around on the ground fighting with a suspect who is elbowing him....

We don’t teach quick reholstering (just the opposite, in fact) but when the need arises it tends to be self evident.
    Roger that. I should have stated my comment was for the typical civilian whether on the range or street. I have witnessed quite a few individuals in classes reholstering at dangerously unnecessary speeds. I have seen a few folks who blew a shot on a drill then reholstered violently in anger. Also have seen guys who think it is cool to put the gun away fast.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Roger that. I should have stated my comment was for the typical civilian whether on the range or street. I have witnessed quite a few individuals in classes reholstering at dangerously unnecessary speeds. I have seen a few folks who blew a shot on a drill then reholstered violently in anger. Also have seen guys who think it is cool to put the gun away fast.
    Even for LEO's the need for quick re-holster is the exception, not the rule.

During our qualifications we practically chant "there is no race to the holster".....

Some retention holsters require more force to engage, and that seems to encourage speed holstering.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

When ya do gotta go hands-on!
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Mr. Furr instructed me to holster “reluctantly.” That stuck.
    Ignore Alien Orders

My pet peeve isnt so much the speed as the simply not sparing a split second to look for obstructions. Really it takes a second or less to glance and check and your still able to see peripherally during that time. Its not like your fully turning your back on anything and taking some prolonged break

Quote Originally Posted by PhillySoldier View Post
    My pet peeve isnt so much the speed as the simply not sparing a split second to look for obstructions. Really it takes a second or less to glance and check and your still able to see peripherally during that time. Its not like your fully turning your back on anything and taking some prolonged break

While I hear the sentiment that you say this with, and I agree there is a problem for some people. Very rarely is there anything in the holster that requires you to stop. I've seen people look at the holster and then holster with a clothing obstruction. There is also a thing where people start to do things automatically and then what they see can't translate into stopping the holstering process.
    Last edited by JustOneGun; 12-05-2017 at 09:31 AM.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

Quote Originally Posted by JustOneGun View Post
    While I hear the sentiment that you say this with, and I agree there is a problem for some people. Very rarely is there anything in the holster that requires you to stop. I've seen people look at the holster and then holster with a clothing obstruction. There is also a thing where people start to do things automatically and then what they see can't translate into stopping the holstering process.
    I fully agree. Just so used to debating with people that think they dont need to look in the first place

Yep. This actually came up as a question from someone when i did my latest post on my page regarding coldweather carry. Ive always been a proponent of a reholster thats at a speed quick (see efficient) enough to get the handgun secured and out of play when necessary, but slow enough to ensure your looking it into the holster and avoiding a ND. This came up in the topic specifically because of the extra layers of clothing being present around the holster (open front jackets).
    Last edited by Ballistic_RT; 12-08-2017 at 09:16 PM.
    Just a father trying to protect his family.

I can remember when all the cool dudes reholstered without looking. We were stupid back then. Now I take it slow and watch where I am going.

User Tag List