Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AR15 pistol with arm brace for dealing with an active shooter inside a church

AR15 pistol with arm brace for dealing with an active shooter inside a church

Our church safety committee meeting happened to fall on the same day as the Texas church shooting. We talked about what we would be able to do in that scenario against a bad guy in body armor with a long gun. A few 9mm pistols scattered throughout the crowd wasn't very reassuring against such a threat.

We talked about how we could somehow incorporate a shoulder fired weapon into the mix. Storing long guns in the church is not something we want to do. Bringing one to and from every service isn't the best option either. I brought up the AR15 pistol with an arm brace and Law Tactical adapter, carried inside a backpack and after looking at other options we feel that's probably the best route for what we're wanting to accomplish. 95% of the church will never know they're in the mix. Only myself and one other guy were willing to commit to purchasing one, training with it, and carrying it. A backpack is not out of place these days in churches, lots of people bring laptops and use them for hauling kid stuff around. We both understand the grave consequences of not keeping the backpack with us at all times, and it should be noted that this is 100% legal for us to do.

Has anyone else used an AR pistol in a similar role? Maybe as a travel gun? Recommendations on equipment and training are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

My 11.5" SBR w/ LAW folding stock fits in this bag:
    http://www.vertx.com/edc-gamut-plus-bag

I carry it back and forth to work in this bag. Will also fit a plate carrier in there as well. I stopped carrying the plate carrier when I started wearing a rifle plate with my soft armor at work.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I would look hard at the Maxim Defense Brace for this application. I really like mine. This is an 8.1” 5.56 Spike’s with it, and it measures 22.5” collapsed. Blast and flash are comparable to a 10.5”or 11.5” with Hornady TAP SBR. Optic is an older Aimpoint T1, magnifier is a Sig Juliet4 (probably a bit ambitious on this setup, but a buddy wanted to know if it would work on a similar setup before ordering one, so I did and reported back)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AR15 pistol with arm brace for dealing with an active shooter inside a church

My 8” 300blk SBR, with LAW folder and Ace entry length stock fits inside of my regular sized, extremely untactical Swiss gear computer backpack. And that’s with a 30-rounder still inserted, barrel facing up. Doesn’t take very long to pull it out and fold the stock out. I can very easily tote mine in and out of places if I’m traveling and don’t feel comfortable leaving it in the truck. Doesn’t raise any eyebrows.

Last edited by Crews; 11-27-2017 at 05:06 PM.

I'm using a Sneaky Bags TOT with a 8.5" 300 BLK and Law Tactical folder. I carry this pretty much everywhere now. The gun is an SBR though, not a AR pistol.

Name:  IMG_0110.jpg
Views: 1884
Size:  80.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0109.jpg
Views: 1946
Size:  77.7 KB

Name:  fullsizeoutput_1804.jpg
Views: 2032
Size:  103.0 KB

You guys have any LAW's with high round counts? I've read some reports of them loosening over time with just enough play to get some friction/rubbing problems that were affecting reliability.

So far I'm very pleased with the SB PDW Brace which is like the Maxim.

That's some fancy guns and totes so far. I've never shoot an SBR, AR or AK pistol with an arm brace, so I obviously have no experience. But from what I understand, AK/AR pistols are incredibly difficult to shoot accurately.

A mass-murdering intruder is likely looking for maximum casualties and less likely to be concerned with specific targets. The armed responder, on the other hand, has only one specific target among dozens of Innocents.

Pack your Rambo guns if you wish, but if you're not proficient others may pay the price.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SkippySanchez; 11-27-2017 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SkippySanchez View Post
    That's some fancy guns and totes so far. I've never shoot an SBR, AR or AK pistol with an arm brace, so I obviously have no experience. But from what I understand, AK/AR pistols are incredibly difficult to shoot accurately.
    Duly noted.

A mass-murdering intruder is likely looking for maximum casualties and less likely to be concerned with specific targets. The armed responder, on the other hand, has only one specific target among dozens of Innocents.

Pack your Rambo guns if you wish, but if you're not proficient others may pay the price.

You can take your Rambo comment and shove it.

But from what I understand, AK/AR pistols are incredibly difficult to shoot
    They aren’t if they’re set up correctly. The Maxim brace in my above picture is no more difficult to shoot than their “Stock” version.

So you have no experience but are posting what you "understand"?

Why not let people who have the relevant experience lend the advice (especially since yours is incorrect)?

User Tag List