Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: AR15 pistol with arm brace for dealing with an active shooter inside a church

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ldunnmobile View Post
    Ugh, I really did not want to get sucked into this one but c'est la vie...

An argument could be made that a civilian church security member who engages in formal training and repetitive practice could actually be more proficient in deploying a concealed pistol AR than the established professional LEO... since that is the only method they have to carry/use said firearm and their energy is focused on honing that particular skill set.

After attaining profiency, why would someone not supplement their carry pistol with the numerous advantages offered from a precisely placed 5.56 round?

Probably a bad example but I can accomplish many tasks with a screwdriver but I still have an impact drill handy for when the job REQUIRES it.
    Deploying an AR pistol from a bag is a matter of training, whether that involves opening a LAW folder, working a charging handle etc.

There is al least one federal agency I’m aware of which starts their carbine qual condition 3 since that is how the guns are carried in vehicles.

If someone had to deploy an AR pistol against an active shooter in a church, I would hope they would use the steadiest position possible. It is hard to imagine the current federal administration would find fault with such use, regardless of how the pistol was held.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Deploying an AR pistol from a bag is a matter of training, whether that involves opening a LAW folder, working a charging handle etc.

There is al least one federal agency I’m aware of which starts their carbine qual condition 3 since that is how the guns are carried in vehicles.
    And another (us) that shoots one of the stages of fire on a long gun qual starting from a bag, including a reload from the bag.

Condition 1, though.

Nothing crazy that only 007 has business doing, nothing unattainable for a motivated church security team to accomplish.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    And another (us) that shoots one of the stages of fire on a long gun qual starting from a bag, including a reload from the bag.

Condition 1, though.

Nothing crazy that only 007 has business doing, nothing unattainable for a motivated church security team to accomplish.
    Care to share time standards?

Quote Originally Posted by ldunnmobile View Post
    Care to share time standards?
    Extremely generous. I think it's 65 seconds allotted for 30 rounds (including a mag change) at 25 yards. Target is roughly equivalent to a Q bottle.

I usually finish in 40 some seconds without breaking a sweat, and I don't think I've ever gotten less than a perfect score on that qual. Quite underwhelming from a standards perspective.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

Condition 1, though.

Exactly, it's not rocket science to remove something from a pack/case. If they need to respond pulling the AR pistol out of whatever carrier will be the least of their concerns.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Just to chime in on LE quals: they aren't designed for proficiency, rather liability mitigation, like most LE standards/quals.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Site Supporter
    Thanks - I've said my piece. Readers can take or leave my suggestions. Just to be clear, my suggestions weren't based on a match. I was just commenting on seeing one of the guns the other day. I made my analysis based on my FOG training over the years and my view of the utility of the gun in the situation and how to train up.

I can easily be wrong on my views. Thus, I would suggest trying it out in a FOF. I've been in a few sitting a room when the rampage killer comes in kind of show. Quite exciting.

But I'm leaving it now!

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    It depends on your state laws. I can't speak to Washington state. In Texas you can keep a loaded handgun in your car and a sig brace pistol is legally classified as a "handgun" but if I recall correctly loaded long guns, including SBR's in a vehicle are prohibited in TX under state game laws.
    Carrying of long guns in Texas, loaded or otherwise, is perfectly legal.

I carry a loaded Colt 6720 when my job takes me outside the immediate DFW area.

Carry an SA Saint for the same reasons...

I carry a SA Saint Pistol on my HD Electra Glide for the very same reasons you mentioned. I carry it in my right side saddle bag. I installed 2 Kolpin mounts in the saddle bag to secure it. My motorcycle is my primary means of transport including daily commuting. The church shooting here inspired me to make this adjustment.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

User Tag List