Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Federal action pistol load

Shot a little of the 150 in a G19 today. Felt distinctly softer than the Lawman 147 I was alternating with. Probably a good choice for a new shooter’s first time with a 9mm.

No good time or accuracy data. Was having trouble with consistency with both loads — software, not hardware.

Had a FTF with the Syntech 150 gr today at a USPSA Match.

Come to think of it now I had one in a weekend class two weeks ago.

Gun is a November purchase Glock 19.5 with approximately 3,000 rounds through it. These are the only two times it’s failed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Had a FTF with the Syntech 150 gr today at a USPSA Match.

Come to think of it now I had one in a weekend class two weeks ago.

Gun is a November purchase Glock 19.5 with approximately 3,000 rounds through it. These are the only two times it’s failed to go bang.
    Did you save the two rounds and try to fire them again?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

New Federal action pistol load

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Did you save the two rounds and try to fire them again?
    No they were just ejected in the heat of the drill/stage, and I moved on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RJ; 10-14-2018 at 04:27 PM.

No they were just ejected in the heat of the drill/stage, and I moved on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    To be clear: Failure to FIRE... or failure to FEED?

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    To be clear: Failure to FIRE... or failure to FEED?
    Fire.

Press trigger = no loud noise.

Fire.

Press trigger = no loud noise.
    https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/2...0-gr-tumbling/

Rambling around the internet and saw this thread... with some folks having tumbling issues (might be gun related in his case), but also FTF issues. Maybe they had a bad batch of primers or improper primer seating in the case. Uncommon with modern factory ammo, but not unheard of.

Pull out a box or two and eyeball the primer seating depths, or run a finger over the primers, feeling for high ones vs properly seated. They should be flush, or just a smidge below the case head. Anything sitting proud means the primer anvil might not be in position to make for a good ignition, and the primer may move forward when impacted by the striker/firing pin, absorbing some of the impact.

Site Supporter

Rambling around the internet and saw this thread... with some folks having tumbling issues (might be gun related in his case), but also FTF issues. Maybe they had a bad batch of primers or improper primer seating in the case. Uncommon with modern factory ammo, but not unheard of.

Pull out a box or two and eyeball the primer seating depths, or run a finger over the primers, feeling for high ones vs properly seated. They should be flush, or just a smidge below the case head. Anything sitting proud means the primer anvil might not be in position to make for a good ignition, and the primer may move forward when impacted by the striker/firing pin, absorbing some of the impact.
    No tumbling or FTF for me. I was surprised to find 2 split casings in the last 500 rds, though. I’ve got 9mm WIN brass that’s been fired 8 times, and no splits in that lot, but having it happen with factory ammo is odd.

Anyone else seeing that?

I picked out a box at random just now out of my remaining stash. I was unable to feel or see anything unusual in any of the 50 primers. So I dunno.

So I was having excellent, consistent experience with the 150 grain Syntech Action Pistol...right until this weekend. Multiple light strikes over two range sessions. Pistol was a Glock 34 with OEM trigger components; to be sure it was the ammo, I detail stripped the slide, gave it a thorough cleaning, and swapped striker springs. Still had the occasional light strike today. Everything lit on a second strike. Improper primer seating seems a likely culprit.

Unfortunately, this is my match ammo. I decided to regulate the current batch to practice only, and opened a different case for this week's match. I inspected the primers as I loaded my magazines, so hopefully there will be no surprises. Federal needs to up their QC game.

This is very disappointing though, considering my previous positive observations with this ammunition to date.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List