Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Federal action pistol load

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    If this round is priced anything like the 115gr version, it's going to be a lot more expensive than old fashioned 115/124/147gr ball, which kills it for me. If it was priced similar to the AE line, I'd consider buying some to try.
    This.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I tried the Federal Syntech Action Pistol 150 grain 9mm ammunition this morning in my G34. I thought it compared very favorably to the Atlanta Arms Select 147 grain FMJ I also brought along. Very soft shooting and accurate. It's a little pricier than standard range ammunition (I purchased a 500 round case from Brownells at $130 shipped), but that's still slightly cheaper than the Atlanta Arms ammunition, and is new factory ammo vice reloads. I'll be buying more for match use.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I am sure that the major ammo manufacturers are concerned that someone will use the "major" power factor ammo in a substandard gun then sue them.
    This, very much so.

I picked up 500 rounds on sale from Brownell’s and finally tried it yesterday.

Less recoil than the AE 147 which is my usual USPSA load. The 147 is typically 142-145 PF out of my G34s, so this is probably in the 130-135 range as claimed. POI was identical to the 147. The brass essentially dribbled out, landing maybe a foot to my right. I am running a 13 lb spring, it may be time for the Vogel endorsed 11 lb if I adopt this for regular use.

The only problem is have probably 7k rounds of the AE on hand. Good thing it keeps.
    Last edited by Norville; 03-25-2018 at 10:00 AM.

After my positive experience with the 9mm Syntech, I had my eye out for the .45 Syntech 220 grain Action Pistol load. I finally managed to order a case from MidwayUSA and fired two boxes today at the close of my practice through my Wilson Combat 1911.

While hardly exhaustive, I was able to draw some initial impressions. It was reliable - everything went bang. I started with 'The Test' (10 rounds, 10 yards, 10 seconds) and I managed two of three clean runs. Recoil was noticeably softer than my usual 185 grain Winchester FMJ practice load. Accuracy seemed on par with other practice ammunition (I've yet to find a load that the Wilson doesn't shoot well); at the next session I'll try to dig a bit deeper on POA/POI.

If I decide to shoot Single Stack I'd make this my competition ammunition, but at $22/box it's simply too pricey for general practice. I hope these Syntech Action Pistol loads catch on and prices drop.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Any updates — anyone run a quantity of the 150 grain 9mm load and have impressions?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Any updates — anyone run a quantity of the 150 grain 9mm load and have impressions?
    Ask Tim Herron or Casey Reed - I think Casey runs this stuff in matches now. Tim may have run a few boxes of this stuff.

150 feels a lot like 147. Loaded with a good powder, they all feel soft...

Site Supporter
    I ordered a case 6 weeks or so ago. I’ve fired about 500 rounds for local IDPA matches, and some limited use in practice sessions.
    I find it very consistent and soft-shooting. And VERY clean. Spent brass looks barely used, inside and out. The cleanest I’ve seen for fired brass. Leaves the gun pretty clean, too.

I liked it well enough that I have 2000 more rounds on hand now. I think it will be my competition round until I develop a similarly soft-shooting 147 grain reload (and use up the 2k 115 gr bullets I’ve been loading & shooting for practice).

I’d recommend it if you don’t feel like loading your own.

I picked up two boxes at the Area 5 Steel Challenge Championships this past weekend. I took it out tonight and shot it through my Gen4 G17 with DPP. Started with a 10 shot Unsupported FS group at 25 yards. With my gun zeroed for 124 Blazer Brass the 150's shot 2 inches low. Of the 10 shots 8 were in a 2.5 inch group with 2 called flyers opening it up to 4 inches. At 50 yards off my range bag it was a 3 inch tall 5 inch wide group 5 inches low.

Next up was the Vickers 300. 5 yard WHO 100 10 X, yanked 1 SHO shot almost off the target with all of the rest low right in the 9/10 ring. At 20 yards I shot a 93 with 3X. These results lead me to believe that accuracy is good and would be very good in the hands of a better shooter.

To test cycling I then shot the other box in a combination of Bill drills, Blake Drills, and 2 to the head at 10 drills. It was easy to control though not as light recoiling as the 147 grain Freedom match ammo that i gave up on due to light primer strikes and a squib. All in all it seems like good ammo. If I want to use it for the Indiana USPSA Section they will deliver it there at match day for $12/50. Not sure if that is what I am going to do or not.

New Federal action pistol load

https://www.wholesalehunter.com/Prod...?source=A10003

Federal Syntech Action Pistol 9MM 150Gr Total Synthetic Jacket 50 Round Box AE9SJAP1

Just followed a link on book face; I am looking into this ammo for Production and this was a pretty good price ($11.41/50) from what I’ve seen recently.
    Last edited by RJ; 08-02-2018 at 08:45 PM.

User Tag List