Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Federal action pistol load

New Federal action pistol load

Just saw this in a review in the latest USPA magazine:

"...Federal Premium sent 10k rounds of the soon-to-be-released 150gr 9mm Action Pistol ammunition for the side match. The ammo is designed specifically for meeting USPA minor power factor; they havecdeveloped a round with a heavy bullet and elongated the felt recoil to make it a very flat shooting round. There were many competitors asking when they could get their hands on it. The official release will be Jan 2018."

The ad across the page reads:

"Elevate your game and improve your score with new Syntech Action Pistol competition ammo from Federal. The polymer-encapsulated syntech bullet eliminates copper and lead fouling. When combined with the Catalyst lead-free primer for a cleaner burn, you'll experience less recoil, less residue, reduced report, allowing you to shoot quicker, and enjoy a better shooting experience."

From the photo, the bullets are bright red. The box is labeled "Syntech Total Syntheic Jacket Technology"
    Last edited by peterb; 11-26-2017 at 06:38 AM.

It's like some old dude at Federal kept plugging away at his unwinnable battle of getting them to produce Nyclad again, and they finally gave him this as a compromise and consolation prize on his way out the door.

I've never felt that copper fouling was a problem in any pistol I've owned, or been loaned at work.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Lead projectile but a lead free primer?
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Lead projectile but a lead free primer?
    Primer-based lead is the greater source of lead contamination in ranges and in humans.

Chris

Coated is probably more accurate than plated.

I wonder when a factory will offer 9mm Major so shooters with more spare money than time can be competitive in Open.
    It ought to be easy, the Internet experts are always telling us about the secret sauce factory load powders. Surely they can whip up something with a high velocity vs pressure output.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    It's like some old dude at Federal kept plugging away at his unwinnable battle of getting them to produce Nyclad again, and they finally gave him this as a compromise and consolation prize on his way out the door.

I've never felt that copper fouling was a problem in any pistol I've owned, or been loaned at work.
    Nyclad, exactly.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

If it is kinder and gentler to my aging wrists, hands, and thumbs, I am interested. I cannot do all of my training with .22 LR; some numbers of rounds need to be fired with centerfire ammo, for a greater degree of realism.

There was a lot of the 115 grain Syntech given away as door prizes at the MN USPSA section match this summer. (Federal sponsored the match.) As a result, I shot 200 rounds of it this fall. Even the 115 grain stuff knocked down steel just fine for me, and accuracy seemed to be on par with other ammo I've shot through the same gun. I imagine that a 150 grain version will do what they claim and be quite popular with those who shoot USPSA and IDPA but don't hand load.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Coated is probably more accurate than plated.

I wonder when a factory will offer 9mm Major so shooters with more spare money than time can be competitive in Open.
    It ought to be easy, the Internet experts are always telling us about the secret sauce factory load powders. Surely they can whip up something with a high velocity vs pressure output.
    I am sure that the major ammo manufacturers are concerned that someone will use the "major" power factor ammo in a substandard gun then sue them.

If this round is priced anything like the 115gr version, it's going to be a lot more expensive than old fashioned 115/124/147gr ball, which kills it for me. If it was priced similar to the AE line, I'd consider buying some to try.

User Tag List