Thread: Pistol Suppressor Reliability Issue

Pistol Suppressor Reliability Issue

I just acquired an AAC Illusion 9mm, and today I went to test it on a Gen4 G17 with a Silencerco threaded barrel. First, I tested the gun without the can to ensure the barrel is reliable, and it is with several different types of ammo I tested. Then, I attached the can, and immediately had failure to feed malfunctions with almost every one of the first 10-15 rounds, with two different ammo types, and two different magazines. Then, it seemed to settle in and ran flawlesly. I removed the can, let it cool all the way down, reattached and then loaded up the same mags with the same ammo that caused the initial problems, and it ran 100% reliable.

So any ideas why it was so problematic at first? Could it be that the piston spring needed a little breaking in? This is my first pistol can so I have lite experience with them. Thanks for the help.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor & RSO, IDPA Expert, Project Appleseed Rifleman
    Member NRA, GOA, SAF, VCDL

Site Supporter
    I’m no expert, but here’s my opinion.

You tried different ammo with the combo of barrel pistol before silencer did you try different ammo after?

Re-reading the OP if it’s working currently I can guess, but that’s unverifiable so it doesn’t seem fruitful.

It could have been the spring; you could always ask AAC. I was going to go down the road of a lighter recoil spring but once you said it’s working I’d leave it in as close to OEM as possible.

God Bless,

Brandon

Another 60 rounds today of 147gr Speer Gold Dots and Federal HST, no problem at all. I was a little surprised at how loud they are though, considering they’re sub sonic.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor & RSO, IDPA Expert, Project Appleseed Rifleman
    Member NRA, GOA, SAF, VCDL

User Tag List