Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gabe Suarez articles on low-light conditions

Gabe Suarez articles on low-light conditions

I've been reading his articles - I appreciate the pushback of the necessity of an WML on your EDC (military and LEO excepted) - and one has to recognize the experience and wisdom of Tom Givens. On a home defense weapon, Mr. Suarez seems to argue against needing a WML as well. His argument is that you should know who is in your house, and if you have everybody, you do not need positive identification, just common sense identification.

What are people's thoughts? http://blog.suarezinternational.com/...ification.html

There are some other articles, too. I may not be picking up the nuances of his argument.

Site Supporter
    So by his advice, anyone in your house you don’t think is a family member needs to be shot? Without ever bothering to ID who/ what it is? That makes about as much sense as shooting through the door because you heard a noise. Trying to equate shooting at active muzzle flashes with shooting at a “shadow” because you assume anyone you can’t identify is a deadly threat? Doesn’t make sense to me. However I’m fine with not EDCing a weapon light on your pistol as long as you also carry a quality flashlight.

To back up msstate56, Suarez, who's said a lot of controversial things in the past, is not acknowledging the fact that your freedom and fortune ride on every bullet. Are you going to bet your kid's life on whether you received their phone call or text? What if they're trying to sneak in from doing something you don't approve of and purposely didn't text or call? You want to shoot them? Also, what if this is a straight up burglary? If your family is safe upstairs, why would you cap someone who's just burgling your liquor cabinet or TV? You might have the right to shoot them (depending on the state....not in mine), but do you want to go through the wringer for $500? Is it worth it? Obviously, if there's a threat of death or serious bodily injury, that changes everything.

Quote Originally Posted by chingy98 View Post
    His argument is that you should know who is in your house, and if you have everybody, you do not need positive identification, just common sense identification.

What are people's thoughts? .
    He's full of $hit. What if a LEO or firefighter has entered your home for a legit reason the homeowner may not have realized yet? When you're talking about deadly force, not getting PID of who you're shooting is reckless and beyond stupid.

Tom's point on WML's is that most robberies occur where there is sufficient light to ID and shoot. He has stated in HD articles that he has a lot of lights on the exterior of his house and leaves some interior lights on.

I don't think you necessarily need a WML, but I do believe you need a light and you need positive ID before you fire.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    That sociopathic thieving assclown wrote a similar article a few weeks ago where he stated that target identification wasn't needed because anyone in your house is bought, paid for, and gift wrapped. He blamed the light industry and liability-centric instructors for the perceived need to illuminate potential threats. When someone mentioned the possibility of shooting your own kids or their friends he beat his chest about how the man rules the household and his family obeys, and if you raise your kids correctly they'd never doing anything they shouldn't.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I get what he says. If I see a 6' tall silhouette, that person's not supposed to be there. I don't need much target ID. Pretty slim odds that that the PD or FD is there without me knowing about it.

So....in a somewhat but not entire defense of the article (yes I get the emails) I don't think he's wrong.

Well, I'm glad some people don't agree with him. He sort of has a point, but crazy things happen, so how can you pull the trigger when you don't know for sure? You're assuming. Not having a WML for your EDC when you're out and about, I get, and I have a nice Fenix. I think Tom Givens' rationale makes sense, about the bad guys also needing light to see you. But I don't know about shooting a shadow. I don't see how a verbal warning would be bad - you don't necessarily give away your position, and it allows for the shadow to identify himself/herself. I'm thinking along the lines of a Southnarc MUC scenario: "STOP WHERE YOU ARE! WHO ARE YOU?!" and then based on their response, you should know.

Still formulating an opinion on the article, but...

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    He's full of $hit. What if a LEO or firefighter has entered your home for a legit reason the homeowner may not have realized yet?
    Hmmm... What legit reason would put that LEO/FF/EMT in my home without clear indication of who they were and why they were there?
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Still formulating an opinion on the article, but...

Hmmm... What legit reason would put that LEO/FF/EMT in my home without clear indication of who they were and why they were there?
    My brother stepped out of the bathroom to find two officers walking through the house, guns drawn. Either dispatch gave them the wrong address or they weren't on the block they thought they were. Either way it's a good example of "shit happens."

User Tag List