Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shield for a Snubby

Shield for a Snubby

So I’m thinking about trading my M&P Shield 9 for a snub nose revolver of some kind. Why? Well, I haven’t even shot my Shield in the past year and a half, let alone carry the bloody thing. I find carrying the Shield really isn’t all that much easier than carrying my G19 IWB strong side. Maybe it would carry better AIWB, but I haven’t got a good holster for it and I’m still rocking a bit of a gut that makes that uncomfortable.

So I’m thinking a snub nose, like an airweight J-frame or LCR. I don’t have a proper revolver in a real revolver caliber and I’d like something that gives me the option for pocket carry. The Shield doesn’t give me the pocket carry option due to size and shape. If it were a larger pistol, I’d probably hang on to it and save up for a snub, but it’s not even really something that’s all that particularly fun to screw around with. I bought it as purely a tool to conceal and I never conceal it.

Should I do it? What are the best options for that?

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

I’m partial to the M&P 340, or the 642/442.

You can get them both without the lock.

Should you trade a gun you don't use for one you would? I think the answer is yes. Are there times you go unarmed because your 19 does work? If so then yes.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    Should you trade a gun you don't use for one you would? I think the answer is yes. Are there times you go unarmed because your 19 does work? If so then yes.
    I recently took a new job that’s more anti-gun than my previous job. So yes, there are times that I’m unarmed when I can’t carry my 19. I need something more covert. Covert enough to conceal well in a pocket.

I would make the trade, simply because everyone needs a J-frame. My wife has a Shield, and I'm just not fond of it. I typically carry my J in a DSG quick clip or PTD holster. Mainly due to the weight, it just carries so well around the house, and conceals well if need be. One thing to consider is the maintenance of it. I went shooting with a buddy today, who was in town with us for Thanksgiving. He is from Florida and carries a J-frame daily. The hammer displayed signs of rust, and the trigger pull was roughly 15 pounds, most likely due to internal rust issues. Not sure of his maintenance schedule, but the sideplate had never been removed, and there was a build up of lint around the hammer. I offered to take it apart and go over it, but he assured me he would get it taken care of.. It was a 637, so not sure how much better a 642 would fair under similar conditions. I can just imagine sweet rolling into the lock work. One reason I prefer the internal hammer of the 442 / 642.
    Taking a break from social media.

My default is 442/642 but a lot depends on two factors 1) how well do you shoot revolvers and 2) are you recoil sensitive?

If you're unsure, rent an airweight J, preferably one with the boot grips you'll carry on it, and get a box of standard pressure .38 and shoot 50 rounds, if you can. If that's too much, wadcutters will tone it down quite a bit, but it'll still be handful. Don't get me wrong, they aren't unshootable, but they also aren't easy to shoot.

If you find it too much too shoot the .38 decently well, but still want a snub, consider getting a 43C (airweight in .22). Yes, you're giving up caliber, but you gain capacity (5 -> 8) and shootability, plus it shaves another 3-4 ounces off the gun. I'm quickly becoming a big fan of the 43C as a carry a lot, shoot a lot, gun. Whereas before, my Airweights were mostly, "carry a lot, shoot sparingly".

Slight OT - The 43C really demonstrates to me why Chic Gaylord was such a fan of the High Standard Sentinels back in the day. The Sentinels were roughly J-Frame sized, in .22, held 8 rounds. Gaylord dotes on them quite a bit in his book and I kind of always wondered why, until I put in trigger time on a 43C.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 11-24-2017 at 11:35 PM.

If the shield ain't working for you, unload it and get something that will.

LCR vs J-frame: The LCR is good to go out of the box pretty much. I have largish hands and I hard a hard time finding grips for the J-frame that I liked but the LCR grips are just about ideal for me but they are Houge rubber grips and pretty easy to shape if you want to make adjustments. The LCR trigger is good, the J-frame is manageable but I haven't tried the Apex kit. I bought the kit for my 442 but I've decided to sell my 442 so I'm not going to bother putting it in. I hear with an Apex kit the J-frame has a much nicer trigger than the LCR.

The LCR .38 is about an ounce lighter than a 442/642 for the same price but if you're willing to spend the money you could get a 340 or a 342, those are ~11.5 and 10.5 ounces respectively.

For what it’s worth, I recently got away from the G43, and back to the 642, for similar reasons. The G43 really didn’t give me much more versatility over a G26, but the 642 does. That thing can be brought along very discretely. Not any shocking news, I realize, but there it is anyways.

Shield for a Snubby

There are a lot of things that are convenient about owning a snub. There are also a lot of disadvantages to pocket carry of a snub. Pocket carry in an NPE is also not as easy or as covert as it sounds.

Consider this before you get rid of your Shield. Buy a smart carry or good quality belly band first. Carry the Shield in that mode for a few months and practice with it from concealment everyday during dry fire.

If you still don’t like it your not out much money and you’ve gained a little experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MGW; 11-25-2017 at 05:26 AM.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

What are some good pocket holsters for the 442/642? Any good grips that help cushion your hand against that metal frame, but sacrifices little in concealment?

I’m not super recoil sensitive, but I’ve shot a 642 once before, a while ago. It wasn’t terribly fun, but I could probably manage it better now after the experience I’ve picked up since then.

I’ve got a friend or two that have 642s. I’ll have to drag them to the range and rent an LCR to compare it to.

User Tag List