Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Shield for a Snubby

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    I too am a lefty; the 642 is a great little gun and the Darkstar Gear clip-on holster makes it a breeze to carry.

You would probably really like it with wadcutters. The recoil is much less than +p, but I personally find the Winchester Ranger +p to be really accurate in my 642, so I carry that.

I basically run a Glock 19, Glock 26, or a 642 depending on dress/situation. It’s ok to leave your home (or RV) with “just” a j-frame.
    Man after me own heart, I tell ya. (Except for the lefty thing. )
    Last edited by blues; 12-20-2017 at 08:20 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I’m drawn to this thread like a moth to a flame.

I too am contemplating a smaller ‘walk the dog’ gun vs the G19, and could see a LCR, J or Glock 43 in that role.

On the other hand maybe I’ll get a simple clip on holster for the 19. Decisions...
    If it helps- just walked the dog with an LCR. Easy to carry in a pocket of sweatpants or sweatshirt.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    If it helps- just walked the dog with an LCR. Easy to carry in a pocket of sweatpants or sweatshirt.
    Yeah, it does. Next year I need to figure out the dog walking thing.

A simple metal clip AIWB style kydex holster for the G19 is worth a try first though. Before going in to look at LCRs and J frames and such like, I mean.

Sorry for thread derail.

@Rich_Jenkins just throwing this out there if you're still on the fence. Grab a gun currently has no lock 442's for $319 (plus 7.99 shipping).

https://grabagun.com/s-w-442-1-8725-...-bl-wo-il.html

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    So I’m thinking about trading my M&P Shield 9 for a snub nose revolver of some kind.
    Oddly enough, I replaced my 2" .38Spl snubby (that got stuck in evidence) with a 9mm Shield. I'm pretty happy with that call.

Quote Originally Posted by Angus McFee View Post
    Oddly enough, I replaced my 2" .38Spl snubby (that got stuck in evidence) with a 9mm Shield. I'm pretty happy with that call.
    I did something similar - 642 for G43. Of course, I'm required to carry issued ammunition in either, and the only option for 38 is 158 gr LHP +P - very ouchy in an Airweight. Even then, not sure that 5 rounds of 148 WC in a heavy trigger pistol with marginal sights is a better choice than 7 rounds of 147gr JHP 9mm in a pistol that I can shoot accurately, quickly, and reload in a timely fashion.

The only argument I see for snubbies anymore (except for the UNDENIABLE cool factor of the round gun) is if you're pocket carrying, which, frankly, is way down the list of priorities for me.

Okay, I have a lot of time carrying a shield/g43/637.

To me shield/g43 outshoots the snubbie big time. I also prefer the more rounds and faster reload. Better sights and more powerful bullets.

I sold my shield and g43. Kept the 637 because I was carrying tda guns. As soon as I went back to shooting the snubbie I was reminded. Mine has a apex kit. That helped a lot with the da pull. But man getting shots on target and follow up shots with +p ammo is substantially worse to me. Also shot my dads lcr quite a bit. But I short stroke that trigger when I shoot it fast. I actually shoot the 637 better myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's decidedly lacking in the cool factor but I make my pocket holsters out of plastic water jugs. No other material comes close for functionality. Since I took this picture, I put white duct tape over the staples.Name:  HDPE3 Pocket Holster.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  42.5 KB
    When I give private lessons, if I need to demo, I use the student's gun. That way they don't think I'm using a tricked out SCCY to be able to shoot well.

^^^That's slick!^^^ (yeah, pun intended)

Seriously though, clever application.
    Last edited by blues; 12-24-2017 at 12:54 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Claude’s solutions are always awesome. He’s clearly a doctoral graduate of the Angus MacGuyver School of The Dark Arts.

civiliandefender.com

User Tag List