Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Support Hand Still Slipping Forward

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
    I will try Ernest's idea of using slight backward pressure with my support hand.
    It helped me when my grip strength was severely compromised in my support hand due to nerve damage.

I use PROGRIP when I’m shooting matches and a bit of griptape under the trigger guard and where my support side thumb rests on my duty gun (non work plastic guns are stippled in these areas). It has helped a lot by increasing the amount of friction. I have smallerish hands and use a pretty neutral thumbs forward grip.

I️ have struggled with the same issue when shooting stock glocks, I️ find the grips very slick. Have you considered stippling or using skate / ladder tape? I️ apply a small piece right where the base of my support thumb contacts the frame to increase friction and prevent hand separation.

I️ also roll my elbows up and out without hunching my shoulders or tucking my head to apply more pressure on the frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A57460
    CTC lasers : Pistols = ABS : automobiles

randyflycaster, would it be possible for you to get a videotape of you shooting -- with focus on your hands, and preferably from both sides -- to post here? It would really help with the "remote diagnostics."

Yesterday I used Landgon's technique of slightly pulling backwards with my support hand. This technique stopped my hand from slipping and allowed me to put more grip pressure. Now I have to experiment with just how much backwards pressure to use.

My shooting improved, but I was still pulling some shots to the side. I also experimented with shooting with my elbows out and with my elbows down. I found the latter more comfortable, but the shooting results of both techniques were the same.

Randy

OP- Not sure if you have found a way that works for you, but I have had a similar situation in the past. Currently I shoot a FN509 with the only modification being the addition of an RMR. In the past I shot glocks with WML and had no issues. However when I moved to the 509 I decided to roll without the WML. Instantly I realized I needed to change my grip up to keep slippage from happening as I no longer could index my support hand index finger in the notch created between the front of the trigger guard and the back of the light.

So the work around- I found that a more seeklander style of grip was the ticket. I put as much meat from my support hand as I could on the rear of the grip and I grip the ever loving piss out of the thing. That coupled with a slight bend in my elbows and pinching my shoulders back have pretty much solved my recoil control and hand slippage. On a good day atleast.
    Just a father trying to protect his family.

Site Supporter
    Severe arthritis has forced me to experiment so factor that information into interpretation of post. I shoot right handled and discovered that placing my left index finder on the front of the trigger guard and exerting rearward pressure has provided a more secure grip. I no longer line up the bore's center line with the web between thumb and fore finger. Instead I shift my grip to the right far enough to permit he crook of the trigger finger to engage the trigger. This method works well with Glocks.

I believe grip is the most important aspect to shooting a pistol quickly and accurately. For years I got by with an ok grip because I have very large strong hands. I have had many top notch instructors look at and ok my grip. One day after watching a Rob Leatham video I realized my grip was holding me back. In the video he stated with a proper grip you should be able to shoot a bill drill and keep all shots in the A zone and pull the trigger as fast as you can. I have never been able to do that, I always had to slow my splits down a bit. So I decided to get serious about my grip. I began a year's worth of work just working on my grip. I would watch a video then try that grip for awhile. I learned that to find the best grip for me I had to become a real time analytical shooter. In other words, I had to learn to become very good at calling my shots and watching my sights to be able to see how my grip changes were effecting my shooting. From a technigue point of view I had to make sure and keep my forearms locked and have a strong grip with the sensation of my left hand twisting off a jar lid and my right hand tightening a jar lid (I am left handed) to maintain palm pressure at the rear of the grip and keep my hands locked together.

My point to this long post is once you pick a starting technique don't be afraid to make changes until you get the results you want. Always experiment and analyse.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Great description of how to apply grip pressure. Thanks so much,

Randy

[Wrong thread.]
    Last edited by arcfide; 12-10-2017 at 10:29 PM.

User Tag List