Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 357 Sig question

What is one of the medical terms for the head, cranial vault?

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    TX DPS has gone away from .357 Sig, as well as other highway patrols, after they figured out the same things everyone else has figured out.
    It took TXDPS three tries to settle on a .357sig load.

124gr Speer Gold Dot, using the 9mm 124gr Speer Gold Dot bullet (I do not have the product code for this as my only box of this stuff burned up a few years ago)

125gr Speer Gold Dot, using a purposely designed for .357sig bullet 53918

125gr Speer Gold Dot, using a second purposely desigend for .357sig bullet 54234

[sarcasm]But they never had any failures, and the cartridge had lightning bolt stopping power and/or was the Hammer of Thor.[/sarcasm]

Doc - Just curious if you have watched tnoutdoors9 YouTube videos on the different calibers and if so, what do you think of them?

I've glanced at them; the ones I saw appear to be aimed at recreational hobbyists, as the video's use unproven synthetic gel blocks not correlated with living tissue--I am sure many folks will find them fun and amusing. The similar "ShootingTheBull410" seem to be done a bit better. None of the YouTube "tests" appear to be done with the accuracy and fidelity of wound ballistic assessments done at the FBI BRF and similar organizations.
    Last edited by DocGKR; 11-28-2017 at 07:10 PM.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Gee--maybe once or twice...
    What round blew his right leg clean off?

Good catch...

Quote Originally Posted by Fsumach View Post
    Looking for solid data or comparison/recommendation between Speer 125gr 54234 and 125gr HST
    The Speer 54234 Gold Dot tends to penetrate more and expand less than either the Federal HST or the Speer 53918

http://www.mlefiaa.org/files/ERPR/AT...st_5_27_09.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eBUsKbLalw

Single shots and use of synthetic gel, all preclude much more than providing a fun anecdotal glimpse at what bullets might actually do in tissue--neither of the linked "tests" are valid ammunition assessments...

FBI test summary of .357 Sig Speer Gold Dot HP 53918

https://869789182725854870-a-armsmas...www/357sig.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Harris View Post
    The way I try to help students understand energy with service pistols is like comparing who can punch harder...a 10 year old (9mm at 375ft lbs) a 11 year old (45 auto and 40SW at 400-425 ft lbs) or an 12 year old (357SIG at 500 ft lbs) So who can hit harder? Is it harder enough to really matter? Remember that typical top level pro boxers punch with about 800 ft lbs of energy....or more.

So then when we bring rifles (1500 to 3000 ft lbs) into the discussion is like introducing Mike Tyson to the game. Now we see that 40 or 45 is not at the TOP of the power spectrum it is at best 1/3 the power of .223 or 1/6 the power of a .308 which is still not a sure thing 100% of the time....

So if those rifle cartridges which bring TRIPLE to SIX TIMES more energy are not 100% stoppers then MAYBE energy is not the determining factor. So much for stopping "power".... maybe it is actually stopping "placement".....

I then ask "who here is a hunter?" Who has shot 2 different deer with the same rifle and gotten different results when one was hit in vitals and one was hit in the hind quarters or the belly? So if your RIFLE which has 6 times the energy of your pistol can fail to stop a 150 lb deer due to poor bullet placement then your far less powerful pistol is even MORE placement dependent.
    How about this. I have shot deer with the same rifle, at similar distances, in nearly identical spots and had completely different reactions from DRT to 50 yards blood trails.

User Tag List