Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 357 Sig question

357 Sig question

Hi all,

Looking for solid data or comparison/recommendation between Speer 125gr 54234 and 125gr HST. Platform is Glock 32. I have easy/cheap access to both of those choices of ammunition, and have function checked both in the Glock.

Fully understand 357 Sig is not a magic death ray, and focused on tactics and mind-set. With that said, looking for a reason to choose 1 over the other. I cannot find any tests of 54234. All the tests I see are on the other 357 sig gold dot, which looks quite different, and 54234 is the one I have ready access to.

Thanks for any input, and happy belated Thanksgiving!

Site Supporter
    I'll start. This forum's mod is docgkr, an ammo research guru. Do a search with his name and specific ammo. The caliber, which I like, has lost ground among law enforcement because of ammo expense, extra wear on weapons, and advances in 9mm ammo. Now is the time to stock up since ammo prices are historically low. Evrntually choices may be limited.

Both work fine.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Copy and thanks. If I am flipping a coin, Gold Dot it is. I use it in 40 and 9 so why not be consistent!

Both GDHP skus (54234, 53918) and the HST have been used in G31/32/33 and M&Ps around me. Shoot data (open and proprietary) is good with all. The HST is historically cheaper of the three and was used for practice ammo as well. My experience in that caliber, shooter performance is down, costs up, wear up, supplies less consistent, with no support off site. Run short at class, go home or switch guns. Bullet setback can be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Fsumach View Post
    Copy and thanks. If I am flipping a coin, Gold Dot it is. I use it in 40 and 9 so why not be consistent!
    Why not, indeed. Maybe just pick a caliber?
    Last edited by ST911; 11-25-2017 at 12:19 AM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Both GDHP skus (54234, 53918) and the HST have been used in G31/32/33 and M&Ps around me. Shoot data (open and proprietary) is good with all. The HST is historically cheaper of the three and was used for practice ammo as well. My experience in that caliber, shooter performance is down, costs up, wear up, supplies less consistent, with no support off site. Run short at class, go home or switch guns. Bullet setback can be an issue.

Why not, indeed. Maybe just pick a caliber?
    Fyi: 357sig in the m&p platform had issues and they discontinued selling those to the public. I'd stear clear of that round in the m&p.

Site Supporter
    If my memory is working, I think that Doc's research revealed that when using the same bullet and comparing 357 Sig ammo with 9mm ammo, there was not a significant difference in expansion and penetration. My dim mind recalls that one such comparison was done with Winchester Ranger ammo loaded with latest and best bonded bullets. I've not read his research in several years so I invite correction. I have an HK 2000 in 357 Sig and like it but would tell another to buy it in 9mm. I enjoy taking it along with me while playing along rivers and streams. I like the HK's accuracy and the round's extra reach, but I'm not referring to defense shooting. Enjoy your 357 Sig and remember that now is the time to buy ammo Many here buy from sgammo.com

Thanks all, I appreciate the responses!

Saying that 357sig is no different then 9mm, is like saying 357mag is no different then a .38

OP's question asked and answered! Efficient thread done and done

User Tag List