Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on Colt Clapp Products?

Site Supporter
    I traded 6 kimber series 1 1911s for 5 colt Wiley clapps. I think they are great deal for the money.

Vending Machine Operator
    I like the Clapps. Also, despite the fact that any brand of 1911 gets you Sunni vs. Shiite levels of debate on the internet, I own exactly 1 1911, a 2016-production standard stainless Colt GI-style bare bones basic .45 ACP Government model. I have never had cause to regret the purchase. I did the first 1,000 rounds out of the box unlubricated and uncleaned, and still have not cleaned it. It still has not failed. It made me entirely rethink the 1911 reputation for being finicky. I like Colt.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

My previous 1911 was a gov Clapp. Was a good gun after I adjusted the extractor tension; left the factory with almost none.

I paid $1200 3 1/2 years ago and I still think they are worth that. Only reason I got rid of mine was to put extra money on a car down payment and it wasn’t the 1911 I truly wanted (that I now currently own).

The only thing that bugged me was the front strap treatment, I though it should have been checkered a half inch or so higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I like the Clapps. Also, despite the fact that any brand of 1911 gets you Sunni vs. Shiite levels of debate on the internet, I own exactly 1 1911, a 2016-production standard stainless Colt GI-style bare bones basic .45 ACP Government model. I have never had cause to regret the purchase. I did the first 1,000 rounds out of the box unlubricated and uncleaned, and still have not cleaned it. It still has not failed. It made me entirely rethink the 1911 reputation for being finicky. I like Colt.
    Impossible cuz 1911.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Impossible cuz 1911.
    The problem is that when the 1911 market blew up, everybody thought "tighter" equals "better" trying to chase those tiny groups. Nevermind that most buyers wouldn't max out the accuracy on the loosest GI 1911.

Back on topic, I've owned several Dan Wessons and they're top notch. The Clapp is a good 1911, but you get more features and better small parts in the DW. They make a wide range of alloy frame weapons but I'm not sure they have a non-bobtailed 9mm Commander right now though. Have you shot or carried with a bobtail? I wouldn't have a CCW 1911 without it.

I'm just a DW fan, but if you like and buy the Colt I doubt you'll sit there wishing you'd got anything different either.

Site Supporter
    Funny you mention those two companies; the only two 1911s I have left are a Colt WC government in .45 and a Dan Wesson Valor in 9. I wrote about the Colt 2000 rnd challenge in the sticky; went very well. I love it. That said, the higher fit/ finish of the DW was immediately apparent.

I think the features you get for $1K make the Wiley Clapp models a great value. They seem to be put together a bit better than the average off the line Colts. No rattle or looseness on mine. I too changed out the thumb safety for a Wilson Combat and LOK grips.

My sample of one has been amazingly reliable with Wilson mags.
    Last edited by TOTS; 10-05-2018 at 11:02 AM.

Trying... hard... not to... make... penicillin... joke.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UnoZero View Post
    The problem is that when the 1911 market blew up, everybody thought "tighter" equals "better" trying to chase those tiny groups. Nevermind that most buyers wouldn't max out the accuracy on the loosest GI 1911.
    Not to mention the fact that slide to frame fit has little to do with accuracy. The Gold Cups I bought recently have a very snug slide to frame fit -- no play or rattle -- but not nearly Les Baer tight.

I'm not sure they have a non-bobtailed 9mm Commander right now though.
    Yep, the Vigil is available in a Lightweight Commander variant.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Not to mention the fact that slide to frame fit has little to do with accuracy. The Gold Cups I bought recently have a very snug slide to frame fit -- no play or rattle -- but not nearly Les Baer tight.

Yep, the Vigil is available in a Lightweight Commander variant.
    So they do, had to look it up. I used to be a mod in the DW section of 1911forum (still am I think, my posting dropped off but I never got “demoted”) and knew all the models, but I haven’t kept up for a few years.

So yeah, I’d go DW all day.

User Tag List