Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Colt Clapp Products?

Thoughts on Colt Clapp Products?

I am thinking of getting a lightweight 9mm 1911 Commander, and I'm eyeballing the Colt Clapp line of 1911's - specifically the COO4842WC.

Any opinions? I've heard about the hit or miss quality of Colts (the 3 I've owned seem to be decent so far...) and I don't know if the Clapp line is any better. The other option is a Dan Wesson Guardian, but I'm really not a fan of that bobtail.

Pricing via gunbroker puts the Colt and the Wesson at similar prices (when looking at used/blem Wessons).
    Last edited by Jay585; 11-24-2017 at 02:44 PM.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

I think they're nice. The checkering is very well done, they're series 70, real novak black rear sight, no front serrations, no trashy rollmarks/engravings.

I was unaware of the lightweight 9mm. It's getting harder and harder not to own a 1911.

@M2CattleCo nailed it. Colt is pretty stingy on things like front strap checkering and novak cut dovetails in their configurations. The WC models are some of the best places to start given the cost of frame/slide work and refinishing should you want such things later. I like the series 70 guns as well, although if the WC guns were series 80, I wouldn't be deterred.

Site Supporter
    Agree with the above replies. The Clapp pistols are nicely done. The front strap checkering is done by Pete Single, whereas other Colt models are checkered in house. The in-house checkering Colt does is some of the best in the business but Pete Single does a great job.

The only things I would probably change on a Clapp pistol are the grip panels and possibly the thumb safety. They both look nice but I don't like slim grips and the old school GI thumb safety looks good but is probably not the most practical choice. I actually like the traditional teardrop style thumb safety used on the 1991 models.

Site Supporter
    Overall I'm happy with my Colt WC Govt, however, I did break the slide stop pin shooting it last year, locking up the gun. Colt fixed it under warranty but It took 5 months.

If you want to buy once cry once, buy a Dan Wesson. If you are ok with having some parts swapping and dehorning I would say the WC guns are a solid step up from a base gun.

Re Dan Wesson- I also am not a fan of the bobtail, however the Valkrye Commander would fit the bill.

For the same $, Dan Wesson, no contest.
    Last edited by HCM; 11-24-2017 at 07:42 PM.

I'm happily running a Clapp LW CCO. All I changed were the grips and the thumb safety. I'll likely go with an EGW FLGR and Flat Wire kit, but that's all I foresee changing. I don't think it's a better gun than a DW, but it's an $1100 Colt, and finding a LW CCO that's NOT $3000 is pretty hard

I fianlly got a used one off of Gunbroker for less than $1k, and I'm quite happy with it. My first Series 70 and I'm quite surprised how much better the trigger is compared to the Series 80.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Agree with the above replies. The Clapp pistols are nicely done. The front strap checkering is done by Pete Single, whereas other Colt models are checkered in house. The in-house checkering Colt does is some of the best in the business but Pete Single does a great job.

The only things I would probably change on a Clapp pistol are the grip panels and possibly the thumb safety. They both look nice but I don't like slim grips and the old school GI thumb safety looks good but is probably not the most practical choice. I actually like the traditional teardrop style thumb safety used on the 1991 models.
    I'm not a fan of them either. In addition to being slim, they're shaped like an airplane wing, which is a neat idea but doesn't really work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I'm happily running a Clapp LW CCO. All I changed were the grips and the thumb safety. I'll likely go with an EGW FLGR and Flat Wire kit, but that's all I foresee changing. I don't think it's a better gun than a DW, but it's an $1100 Colt, and finding a LW CCO that's NOT $3000 is pretty hard

https://i.imgur.com/yDM0cMD.jpg?1
    I have a spare ambi thumb saftey from a Colt rail gun that I'm wanting to put in the Clapp. Think it would work without excessive modification?
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    I have a spare ambi thumb saftey from a Colt rail gun that I'm wanting to put in the Clapp. Think it would work without excessive modification?
    Personally, I would pick a new safety from a reputable manufacturer (wilson, egw, etc). All colt safeties are shit fit. They're usually mushy or gritty, and ambi's make it even worse.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Personally, I would pick a new safety from a reputable manufacturer (wilson, egw, etc). All colt safeties are shit fit. They're usually mushy or gritty, and ambi's make it even worse.
    Regardless of which safety you choose, it will probably need to be fit to the gun. The Colt part is not unique in that regard, but unfortunately Colt often lets guns go out the door with a sub-optimal fit.

The process of fitting a thumb safety involves removing material from the sear engagement surface with a file and/or stone. I like to start with a file (like a No. 2 for example) and then finish with a stone. The sear engagement surface needs to be flat and shaped at the correct angle. It's not overly difficult but you need to go slowly and check fitment often. If you remove too much material you will be left with a non-functioning safety.

Most of my Colts have come with good safeties, but the ones that needed a cleanup each took me maybe an hour of work including disassembly and reassembly of the pistol.
    Last edited by Robinson; 10-03-2018 at 03:53 PM.

I've installed a Novak strong side safety on my Clapp CCO. @Jay585, look up the wilson combat and Jason Burton Youtube videos on how to fit a new safety. It's not hard, and won't take too long. Just go slowly and carefully
    Last edited by theJanitor; 10-03-2018 at 03:56 PM.

User Tag List