Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 147gr "high velocity" 9mm in gel

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Alright. The box of pulled G2 147 Gold Dots has arrived. I'll dose these up with some 3N38 and see what happens. Might also try a few with Alliant Blue Dot since it is cheaper and easier to find.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Good luck hope those expand Im still seeing some from my box not expand...

Quote Originally Posted by lyodbraun View Post
    I have read ever since they came out, they sucked. So what's the deal, here? Is the G2 kindof like when Ford put the 4.6L motor in the mustang in 96 and 98, new and shittier?

Much like the Hornady Critical Duty, the Speer G2 works very well at what is was designed to accomplish--offer consistent terminal performance across the full spectrum of intermediate barriers in the FBI ammo test.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Are yours from the known defective batch?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Alright so he's the "high velocity" G2 test. As with the regular Gold Dot and HST these were loaded with the Viht published max for 3N38.

Six rounds were fired total. Three into Clear Gel and three over the chronograph for velocity average.

The first bullet failed to expand in bare gel and penetrated nearly 25" with a velocity of 1,044 fps.

The second bullet, also in bare gel, penetrated to 14.75" and had a velocity of 1,076 fps.

The last bullet in gel, using the heavy clothing barrier, penetrated right to 16" with a MV of 1,067 fps.

Average for all six rounds was 1,064.50 with an SD of 14.08.

The problem is I have no idea why there G2 bullets were pulled and scrapped. Were they from the known bad bullets that weren't expanding properly or were they pulled for something else?

Fortunately I do have a box of new factory G2 ammo that isn't from a reject lot or sold as training ammo. I'll pull four of these and load them up and see if I can't do a side-by-side standard vs high velocity G2 comparison.

Last edited by Tokarev; 12-05-2017 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Much like the Hornady Critical Duty, the Speer G2 works very well at what is was designed to accomplish--offer consistent terminal performance across the full spectrum of intermediate barriers in the FBI ammo test.

What was the marketing push behind these? Was the G2 created to meet someone's specs (FBI?) or was there some failing of the 147 Gold Dot that Speer was hoping to address? Deeper penetration with more controlled expansion characteristics?

Not a marketing push, the G2 was designed to meet a requirement--which it is has done very well for several agencies, organizations, and units.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Wild guess but I speculate: being able to achieve consistent terminal performance across a range of intermediate barriers WHILE also being SUBSONIC could be the intent.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Are yours from the known defective batch?
    The first box I bought was definitely one of the defective ones, the others I've bought since have been of new manufactured dates and lot numbers and I've only recovered one or two rounds from gel others had passed through two 16" blocks...
    Last edited by lyodbraun; 12-05-2017 at 07:29 PM.

The first box I bought was definitely one of the defective ones, the others I've bought since have been of new manufactured dates and lot numbers and I've only recovered one or two rounds from gel others had passed through two 16" blocks...
    Was that with bare gel or denim?
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

User Tag List