Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 147gr "high velocity" 9mm in gel

147gr "high velocity" 9mm in gel

I bought a bag of mixed pulled 9mm bullets from American Reloading awhile back. After sorting, I ended up with a few 147gr premium hollowpoint bullets. I loaded these with Viht 3N38 using data listed on their website.

First off, the published charge fills the case almost all the way. There isn't much room to seat bullets so I ended up with overall lengths in the 1.145" area. But even at the slightly longer lengths all loaded rounds passed the plunk test in a USP and 320.

I loaded four 147gr Federal HST, four Hornady XTP and four Speer Gold Dot using FC cases and CCI primers. This morning I fired for velocity and also fired two rounds of each into 10% gel from Clear Ballistics with the following results:

USP 9mm 4.25" barrel:

XTP avg 1,113fps with a high of 1,115 and a low of 1,111. One bullet penetrated 12" while the other went 17".

Gold Dot avg 1,115fps (chrono missed 2nd bullet) with penetration of 13" and 14"

HST avg 1,109.50fps with a high of 1,120 and a low of 1,099. Penetration was right about 14" for both.

Recoil was fairly stout but primers seem fine, etc. Velocities weren't as high as those listed in the Viht data but I assume much of that's based on barrel length.

And, for comparison, here are velocities from a SIG P320C. No gel data for these, just velocity:

147 XTP avg 1,076.50fps with a high of 1,079 and a low of 1,074.

147 Gold Dot avg 1,060fps. High 1,061 and low of 1,059.

147 HST avg 1,102fps. High 1,106 and 1,098 low.

Recovered bullets placed largest to smallest. The HST came out about 0.72in. The Gold Dots are close behind at about 0.65in and the XTP came out about 0.60in. The HST and Gold Dot appear to have retained 100% weight as did one XTP. The other XTP is now showing 139.8gr.

Overall, not too shabby.

I'll try again with some clothing. Hopefully sometime next week.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tokarev; 11-24-2017 at 10:00 AM.

Nice testing with good results...

Both the HST and Gold Dot continue to impress. In this case the HST expanded to 200% with the Gold Dot only slightly behind.

If someone wanted to use similar ammo for a carry load it can be bought from Underwood. Underwood sells a 147 XTP +P load and a 147 +P+ Gold Dot load. And Federal sells a +P version of the HST.

I think it's hard to beat the HST or Gold Dot.

I tested some 147gr HST's and Underwood +P's in Clear gel.

https://generalcartridge.wordpress.c...allistics-gel/

https://generalcartridge.wordpress.c...allistics-gel/
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Edit--I see American Reloading had 147 G2 pulled but they're now out of stock. They do still show a mix of 124/147 G2. I think I'll buy a batch and see if I can play with the 147 G2 a bit. I'm curious about this bullet at higher-than-currently-available velocity. From what little I've read the G2 is pretty dependent on velocity in order to expand reliably.

Last edited by Tokarev; 11-25-2017 at 10:07 AM.

Same experiment with 124gr Gold Dot, 124gr HST and Barnes 115gr. The 124s are loaded with 3N38 to 1.14" while the Barnes is loaded with 4.7gr of Universal and seated to 1.10" as listed in the latest Lyman manual.

The Gold Dot load is running 1,272fps from a 4.25in barrel. Penetration is 12.5in.

The HST is running 1,307fps and penetrates 11in. This is a dangerous load with cases showing a tremendous bulge near the feed ramp.

The Barnes load is running 1,138fps with no crazy pressure signs. Penetration is 14.75in.

Overall, not surprising given what we know about these bullets. The HST and Gold Dot are tough and still stay together when pushed hard. But this load is too hot for safety reasons. I'll back it off a couple tenths and try again.

The Barnes load is fine and would likely make an excellent choice for personal protection. I think Double Tap loads the Barnes to similar speeds.

There is no need to run 147 gr HST at +P in order to get good terminal results.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    There is no need to run 147 gr HST at +P in order to get good terminal results.
    HST is a good bullet there's no disputing that.

I do have some 147gr bullets from Zero that don't do anything at 950fps. I might step on a couple and see if they will expand. Just for curiosity.

Last edited by Tokarev; 11-27-2017 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    HST avg 1,109.50fps with a high of 1,120 and a low of 1,099. Penetration was right about 14" for both.
    For reference factory HST 147 +p averages 1045 fps out of my M&P 9 FS. By all accounts the standard load is only about 50 fps lower.

I had gotten the +p stuff a couple years ago when that's all I could find. Based on Doc's recommendation I'll use the standard load when I'm due for new ammo.

Seems like a whole lot of effort for a whopping 50 fps.

Alright. The box of pulled G2 147 Gold Dots has arrived. I'll dose these up with some 3N38 and see what happens. Might also try a few with Alliant Blue Dot since it is cheaper and easier to find.

User Tag List