Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Firearms and young children

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    I do need to move past a closed door for access prevention. I just don't have the cash for a long gun safe at the moment.
    Should be some deals on at least the Stack-On sheet metal cabinets today. Not going to slow down a serious thief much, but they should be good against kids and visitors with inadequately formed ideas about boundaries.

Barring that, a keyed door lock is about $20-30 at Home Depot or Lowes and takes fewer minutes to install.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    HK imported a small batch of P30L LEM with a manual safety but they bring scalper / collector prices.
    I "might" know where one of these could be obtained. It's the extra-rare light LEM, but is chambered in .40.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    going through all this right now.

I had previously decided the best set up for me was a 92, extra precautions with putting things in safes, or in far out of the way places. My reasoning was similar--a 92 with a thumb safety presented several layers of protection against a worst case scenario of my kid getting a hold of the pistol without me being there.

I carried this platform for a long time. The DA pull consistently flummoxed me. I've put thousands of rounds down range. Had good instruction and dry fired like a mad man. I've concluded that the 92s DA pull was way too long for my hand size. The problem is that I had really really bad consistency in shooting the first DA shot. This presented a problem where my confidence in accurately deploying the weapon was at a record low.

I still think the DA/SA is a more safe design but I now have to find the right platform. PX4? 229? P30? I don't know. I would have to make a big platform change that I don't have the space in my life for right now (and won't in the near future). Busy dad, busy worker bee, house projects, etc...My time at the range is carefully plotted and planned.
    I had the same problem - Sig 229 with E2 grips, but I had to change the trigger to the SRT (not the SRT Kit but the "short trigger), which is thinner, enough to get a more comfortable reach. Sounds like it's more work than you want to do at this point, but it's an option that worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    So you don’t believe something like a manual safety could buy you time? My concern isn’t my son finding my pistol lying around, if the gun isn’t on me it’s locked up. My concern is somehow it comes dislodged and he gets to t before me. I “feel” like a manual safety may give me more of chance to negate that risk. Agreed that kids will figure out to use any gun eventually. Hence why I keep my home defense carbine condition 3 with safety on. A lot of steps before that gun is ready to go
    Yes, a manual safety may take them a little longer to deactivate, but it's not something I'd change for that reason. I've never had one come out of a holster, if it fell out in front of him, telling him NO would stop him from touching it long enough for me to get it.

My concern is when my wife and I are asleep, or busy doing other things. That's when a kid will get into stuff and quietly mess with it.

The very same characteristics and MOA simplifications that allow guns to be shot easier by adults, is also true for kids.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    So you don’t believe something like a manual safety could buy you time? My concern isn’t my son finding my pistol lying around, if the gun isn’t on me it’s locked up. My concern is somehow it comes dislodged and he gets to t before me. I “feel” like a manual safety may give me more of chance to negate that risk. Agreed that kids will figure out to use any gun eventually. Hence why I keep my home defense carbine condition 3 with safety on. A lot of steps before that gun is ready to go
    I think you've got valid concerns. If I'm understanding you correctly, you just want a gun that's a little harder to be inadvertently discharged if your grabby kid abruptly and accidentally yanks on it while you're carrying it. My suggestion would be a TDA with a safety. So HK or Beretta or maybe CZ (I think they have TDA with safety models but not positive)

Site Supporter
    My kids are 14 and 9 and as "gun proof" as any humans can be, but I still wouldn't leave unsupervised guns laying around (though I could). I accomplished this by demystifying guns, making them as normal an item as possible. I started by taking them to gun stores whenever I went and letting the kids handle EMPTY guns when they asked. It only took 1-2 requests before *that* became boring. When they got older, and if they were interested, I let them shoot guns appropriate for their size and interest level. Thing 1 enjoys shooting and has claimed my Ruger 22/45 as her own. Thing 2 has no interest whatsoever in guns and would only touch one to move it out of her way (she's not anti, just not interested). Thing 1 once lectured me at the range because I put down an empty and slide-locked 22/45 without engaging the safety.

As for carrying, I mainly pocket-carried a j-frame until recently. In my mind, they were less likely to get grabby and get hold of the gun if it was in my pocket, nor was it likely to fall out or get dislodged (has worked for running around the playground, biking, etc). While a small child can find some way to actuate a DA revolver trigger, they are less likely to do so on a J-frame than a Glock "safe action" trigger. This was more to protect against sloppy handling if they were to pick up the gun rather than as protection against a kid determined to pull the trigger.

Chris

Site Supporter
    If a kid can walk reasonably as a toddler, they can fire the gun. Given past debates, I once turned to the medical literature on children's hand strength. The literature exists for orthopedic and muscular disease references. I found that even the toddlers have enough hand strength to activate a DA trigger. Flipping a safety is trivial. Kids did that in seconds in a few tests of giving them unloaded guns. It is also the case that the young ones may understand your warnings and then completely ignore them when given a firearm and they are unobserved. For older kids and teens in particular, you may think you know your kids but you may not really. Those who pontificate that they do and run a tight ship may be particularly clueless. Their social lives can generate crisis so quickly that the parent is unaware of such. You have the risk of their friends also. It's great to give them gun lessons and demystify them as that might reduce some risk but the social forces risk outweigh the curiosity risk IMHO.

Having easy access to gun is a risk and the Internet trigger pull cliches are foolish for the little kids. For the older ones, yes - some kids have saved the day with guns. That's true. But you play that against the other risks. It's a tough call. In Bastrop, after the fires, parents left to get supplies and their teenage daughter successfully defended the house against potential looters as she was equipped by the parents before they left. However, would you leave the guns always accessible? That's a risk.

My conclusion - it's complex and I don't trust the trigger pull and/or I lectured my kids mantras as sufficient.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 11-24-2017 at 06:08 PM.

Yes, I went from carrying the G19 appendix, back to carrying the G26 behind my hip in a JM IWB3.

Once my daughter turned about 6 months old, she wanted to grab and kick at the gun constantly; she was extremely curious about figuring out what it was.

The G26 behind my hip is also more comfortable when she is on my lap jumping around. With the shorter grip of the G26, I don’t have to worry about printing either, so bending/squatting for her is almost a non-issue.

I guess it just works out better for me since the G26 is my favorite gun; it may for you as well, since you like the 19.

I had a gun safe for about the whole time that junior was little and growing up to the eighteen year old he is today. I do remember telling him that he was not to touch the item in my waistband and was trained from early on not to announce what I do for a living when we were out in public.

He learned quick and it was never an issue.

I also took him out when he was very young and shot some things with my handgun to show him the destructiveness of whatever I had in my waistband at the time. He was quick to learn that as well.

He had his own BB gun at an early age and was taught the cardinal rules of firearms. Safety glasses and even hearing protection at that stage even though that Red Ryder didn't make any sort of noise....but it trained him to always use those items.

When he graduated to a single shot .22, he was already the most disciplined one at the range.....adults included. When "FIRING LINE IS COLD" was called, he opened his action while laying the rifle on the table and would back away from it. Several adult shooters noticed how careful he was and how well he could hit with that thing and would remark to me about how safe he was and how safe they felt around him.

He knows to always check chambers, to keep safeties on, to keep fingers off triggers and has exceptional muzzle discipline.

Only recently did we give him the combination to the safe as he is now an adult and he will end up with all of it's contents anyway. Even though he was uber safe and disciplined, I still didn't give him the access code until he was past 18.

On the flip side of that, he knew if he wanted to look at one of them, all he had to do was to come to me and ask and no matter how tired or worn out I was, I would always stay true to my word and crack the thing open for him. So in reality, there was never any reason for him to sneak around and look at them and when he was younger, he loved to get them out and look them over along with all the pocket knives.

Now I can't get him to go near the range......I think I'd have to offer him twenty bucks to go shoot. So it may have backfired on me a little as he seems to have no interest in what's in there other than the dollar value he can get for them when I die off. lol

Regards.

I have two children under 2 and when I'm home I'm usually not wearing a holstered weapon. So, them grabbing or tugging at me isn't an issue. I usually just keep everything locked way in the safe and my duty rig sits on a high shelf in my closet.

I'm still a few years away from having the "talk" with them. Neither of them are at a point where they can verbalize that they understand something.

My dad was a police officer as well and he gave me the talk one time when I was about 5 years old. The gist of it was that if I ever touched his gun something bad would happen to me. I took that conversation to heart and never touched it or even had the curiosity to play with it.

User Tag List