Thread: Upgraded P320 has a supported sear?

Site Supporter

Upgraded P320 has a supported sear?

I used to think that the partially tensioned striker of the Glock was a big positive safety factor over the fully tensioned strikers of most of its competitors until a read a post on here a few weeks back (forget who posted it) that brought up the fact that tr Glock trigger bar, and thus it’s sear, is physically supported by the cruciform. Now I believe that a supported sear is a bigger safety advantage than the partially tensioned firing pin. Now, fast forward to the other day when I was watching a Sig promotional video on the upgraded P320 and Phil S mentioned that there is now a part of the trigger bar that supports the sear and must move out of the way for the sear to drop. Anyone with an upgraded P320 can confirm this?

What?

Ok, I'll strive next time. I'd just like the OP to clarify a little about the Glock part. There is no sear. The cruciform retracts the striker the dips to fall off of its face. The only time it is supported is if you are using an ny spring.
    Last edited by dwcopple; 11-23-2017 at 03:11 PM.

Site Supporter
    The crusiform being supported by the trigger housing before being moved rearward to drop the trigger bar and releasing the striker. I use the term “sear” loosely and in regards to the part of the trigger bar that holds and releases the striker.

Site Supporter
    At the three minute mark of the below video is what I am asking in regards to the upgraded P320.

I have both pre- and post recall versions with me.

Pressing down on the sear on both versions appeared to have the same result, they both appeared to be only under spring tension.

The firing pin lifter (or whatever the correct terminology is) is where the main difference lies. On the pre-recall version, it is only held by spring tension, while on the post recall version, lifting it takes more force and the trigger moves to the rear as the firing pin lifter is lifted to it's full stroke. Since there is no tabbed trigger, I was able to lift up the firing pin lifter to it's fullest point and would just watch the trigger move to the rear. I'm not sure what this means for safety, I suspect that the gun probably won't go off if dropped, but it may if it was thrown down with enough force.

Not sure if this makes any sense, but I think the answer to your question is no.

Both of my post recall FCUs appear to have a supported sear. Once the mag removal disassembly safety has been deactivated, returning the FCU to normal operating condition, manually depressing the sear causes the trigger to move to the firing position. I also noticed the timing of the safety lever deactivating the striker block has apparently been altered. My pre-recall FCU raises the safety lever at the very start of the trigger stroke, while my post recall ones seem to leave the striker block engaged (safety lever at rest) until approximately half-3/4 of the way through the take up portion of the trigger stroke.

I want to put a huge disclaimer on the above- prior to the recall I was correctly called out about what I misconstrued as a striker block when I was confused by the disassembly safety. I'm pretty sure I’ve got it right this time, but I’m no engineer.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Slight correction on the above- my previous mistake was about a sear block, not a striker block.
    Last edited by DpdG; 11-24-2017 at 10:04 PM.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

User Tag List