Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vet / Comment on My Live Fire Practice Plan

Quote Originally Posted by JFK View Post
    I guess I should also say I am trying to reach Master at IDPA by way of match bump.
    That is something where you have no control over who your competition is. A couple of well practiced, almost Masters will defeat your plans. I would suggest you also concentrate on your weak points and shoot the classifier whenever it is available.

Edit to add: The FAST is a good drill, but it isn't something that is done in either IDPA or USPSA. Perhaps a different drill as a base that is more what you are trying to achieve.
    Last edited by BN; 11-24-2017 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    Having a training plan is great- so many people just run out and punch holes in paper, call it good and leave.
    My only comment/question- is that your plan for a whole year? I would think the training might get stale after you do it 2-3-4 months in a row. Kind of like lifting weights- a little bit of variety can lead to better results.

Maybe leave some extra ammo and shoot the Drill of the Week that Gabe White puts out. Also- start a training journal on the forum. I've found that it helps keep me on track with dry fire.
    Agreed on stale. Whatever I come up with would be the "main" plan. I would mix it up with assessments like dot torture, and just some fun shooting, longer sessions when I have time, shorter and focused if I find something out of whack, etc. I really need something that I ma doing consistent so I can track. Without a shooting partner to watch me it is difficult to find the little things here and there so I need to develop patterns.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    That is something where you have no control over who your competition is. A couple of well practiced, almost Masters will defeat your plans. I would suggest you also concentrate on your weak points and shoot the classifier whenever it is available.

Edit to add: The FAST is a good drill, but it isn't something that is done in either IDPA or USPSA. Perhaps a different drill as a base that is more what you are trying to achieve.
    Agree in your point and also making my point. I have broken into master time spots on unofficial classifiers from time to time. I have had three major matches this year where I had the opportunity to bump up, but missed it by one place. In one instance missed it by .58 seconds, or one point down. If I practiced the classier for a month solid would I achieve master? Mote likely. Will it be what I consider master class shooting? Not in my self assessment because I know my weakness is shooting while moving, changing positions, and economy of movement. I like to compete and if I have the option to move up by besting my friends and peers it is my preferred method.

USPSA classification is different because it is measured on a percentage, plus our club always incorporates a classifier in the match each month so I am less concerned there about winning in a match.

As far as FAST, even though it is not a competition based skill set I feel it is relevant, in addition I am still interested in general pistol craft and defensive skills as well. I like the FAST because in one drill you can test draw, low probability hits, reloads, grip, high probability hits, and recoil control. Doing this cold as the first drill and then as the last drill will help establish a pattern. I am also familiar with it. I know I can this a solid 6.25 - 6.50 FAST when warmed up. On demand (cold) I can guarantee high 6 low 7. I am open to another drill that can act as a benchmark. What did you have in mind?

Something that is important to me and that has been hindering my live fire practice is time and lack of direction. Dry fire is easy. Getting to the range collecting gear etc. is a hassle. There have been many times when I have skipped live fire because I know that I would be rushing or not have enough day light, or insert time based excuse here.
    I'm right there with you regarding the motivation and direction thing. One of things I really appreciate about the books I mentioned is that they contain the organization we're talking about. Plans that are put together for advancement that you can follow generically, or modify to suite your own needs. I won't preach, but in a lot of respects, the training outlines you're looking for (given your stated goals) already exist.

https://www.amazon.com/DryFire-Reloa...6JCH8EZ3DN9JEJ

https://www.amazon.com/Get-Work-Prac...JCJB7XJVFXXFQ4

To wet the whistle, here are a couple examples of simple drills and commentary (these from Stoeger's website).

https://www.benstoeger.com/livefire-drill-easy-exit

https://www.benstoeger.com/live-fire-drill-blake-drill

Agree in your point and also making my point. I have broken into master time spots on unofficial classifiers from time to time. I have had three major matches this year where I had the opportunity to bump up, but missed it by one place. In one instance missed it by .58 seconds, or one point down. If I practiced the classier for a month solid would I achieve master? Mote likely. Will it be what I consider master class shooting? Not in my self assessment because I know my weakness is shooting while moving, changing positions, and economy of movement. I like to compete and if I have the option to move up by besting my friends and peers it is my preferred method.

USPSA classification is different because it is measured on a percentage, plus our club always incorporates a classifier in the match each month so I am less concerned there about winning in a match.

As far as FAST, even though it is not a competition based skill set I feel it is relevant, in addition I am still interested in general pistol craft and defensive skills as well. I like the FAST because in one drill you can test draw, low probability hits, reloads, grip, high probability hits, and recoil control. Doing this cold as the first drill and then as the last drill will help establish a pattern. I am also familiar with it. I know I can this a solid 6.25 - 6.50 FAST when warmed up. On demand (cold) I can guarantee high 6 low 7. I am open to another drill that can act as a benchmark. What did you have in mind?
    The FAST has always felt like a draw and reload contest because none of the shots are particularly hard. A better benchmark would be something with multiple target transitions and distance changes like Accelerator with a hard no shoot on the 15 or 25 yard target. Or swap one of those papers with your 8" steel (although I think that is kinda of big unless at 25).

What did you have in mind?
    The El Presidente or any variation. I usually do it without the turn. Be consistent on how you set up the targets. The common IDPA and USPSA setups are different. I usually have 3 targets at 10 yards, a target width apart and the same height. Start facing, draw, 2 each, reload, 2 each. IDPA style, you are looking for points. USPSA style you are looking for points, but time is more critical. Keep a record of all runs with the style you used. You can do a bunch of stuff with only 3 targets. Shoot standing, moving any direction, Shoot and then move and shoot some more, vary number of rounds etc. I always score and tape between runs.

User Tag List