Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A 5" .44 Special GP100

Weather finally broke and I was able to get out to shoot today. I went back and reset my crimp die and I stayed with the 7.4 grains of Unique. Average velocity 988.1, H 1000, L 965.6, ES 34.4. It was windy and I got an ERR and a blank on my chronograph so the average is with only 8 shots. I got an honest 3 inch group off of the bags at 25 yards. Sadly I did not get a pic of the group, I was using my cell and I thought it took. Next I shot 10 rounds using 17.5 grains of 2400. AV 1250, H 1281, L 1239, ES 42. I only got 8 rounds on this load too. My son shot the last 2 rounds off hand. I was getting a very good group until a ganked 2 shots. I'm not gonna lie, my arthritis let me know that load is stout. I also don't shoot as good as I once did because of the arthritis. I feel the 2400 was shooting better than the Unique The good news is that both loads are shooting very close to POA/POI. I did not get any signs of excessive pressure. The primers still have rounded shoulders and cases weren't sticky at extraction. My crimp seems sufficient. I checked the last round in each cylinder full to see if the bullet was walking. I had one with the 2400 that moved .004 according to my calipers.

Primers look good. This is the Unique load on the first day.

Some leading/gas cutting from the first day. Caused by excessive crimp?? Did not have this today

High velocity from day one.

Just a wee bit of soot.

Groups from day one. Black slash is Blazer 200 GDHP, Rd slash is first 5 of reloads, red circle is 2nd group of reloads.

This is the 2400 load from today. I flinched on the 2 that is low right. My son shot the last 2 using the arrow as an
    aiming point. I think this pistol with this load will shoot better than I can.

I've been using this bullet in my 3" GP with a fairly stiff charge of either Unique or Blue Dot. Either powder will push the bullet at close to 1,000 fps and I haven't had any problems with ejection or anything.

I've shot this bullet into Clear Gel with and without the FBI-type clothing barrier and it does great. It opens and flattens out to look like a silver dollar and it penetrates to 15" or so too. The down side is that it is a little soft and might lead your barrel a bit.

http://www.gtbullets.com/index.php?m...products_id=43

Edit to add that I've used Montana's bullets too. They make a nice bullet!
    Last edited by Tokarev; 01-23-2018 at 04:43 PM.

If I can get that bullet moving an honest 1000 fps that means I don't need a .44 Magnum as a general purpose woods bumming gun.

This revolver is working it's way up the list of "big bore revolvers to buy myself as an I love me present."
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Here's some great info on loading the 44SPL as mild or wild as you'd like.

I apologize in advance if you have already seen this data.

http://www.goodrichfamilyassoc.org/4...%20Special.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    If I can get that bullet moving an honest 1000 fps that means I don't need a .44 Magnum as a general purpose woods bumming gun.

This revolver is working it's way up the list of "big bore revolvers to buy myself as an I love me present."
    Correction on the above. I went and checked my chrono data. 7.5gr of Unique gave me right at 900FPS with the 3" barrel. 15.5gr of 2400 gave me right at 1,000FPS. These are above SAAMI so use at your own risk. I take no responsibility if you break your gun or hurt yourself, etc.
    Last edited by Tokarev; 01-23-2018 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Correction on the above. I went and checked my chrono data. 7.5gr of Unique gave me right at 900FPS with the 3" barrel. 15.5gr of 2400 gave me right at 1,000FPS. These are above SAAMI so use at your own risk. I take no responsibility if you break your gun or hurt yourself, etc.
    Thanks for that. No worries. Big boy game. Big boy rules. I'll probably go with the 5" too.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    https://www.cdnnsports.com/rugerr-gp...l#.W7F-KmhKjIU

CDNN has them on sale for $499 if anyone's still mulling one over.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I got this a few months back. Aside from the SLICK stocks, I like it. I’ll probably use this as my woods BUG with the cat/bear issues we’ve been having out here lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Ruger does a .44 special with a 3" barrel and Novak fixed sights like the Wiley Clapp Gp100 then I'll have to cave and get one.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    https://www.cdnnsports.com/rugerr-gp...l#.W7F-KmhKjIU

CDNN has them on sale for $499 if anyone's still mulling one over.
    I don’t need one. I have a 696 and a 6” 29.

I don’t need one. I don’t need one. I don’t need one. I don’t need one. I don’t need one. I don’t need one. I don’t need one. I don’t need one. I don’t need one. I don’t need one. I don’t need one. I don’t need one.

Dammit.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List