Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A 5" .44 Special GP100

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by FES313 View Post
    I have also discovered that my high and right impact was caused by the blob on the end of the fiber optic rod being out of center on the front sight. if I use the frame of the sight I get center impacts. The brass bead sight may be a welcome addition. I tried taking photos but my cell phone just couldn't get it done.
    I had that same issue with the fiber optic. Thread is "Match Champion sight options" or something like that. If you have a friend who will lend you pin gages, maybe that friend has a lathe and can make you a brass bead to replace the fiber optic.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I have managed to work through snowpocalypse and several holiday sporting events to get to the shop and measure the chambers and bore on this Ruger. Its all good news as all of the chambers measured .430. I do have one that is tight, the pin gauge would not fall through but only took just a little force to push on through. Two charge holes would just start a .431 but would not pass through. The barrel took a .416 all the way through, a .417 would not start. Good job Ruger!! I also call a spoke with Ruger customer service about the front sight issue. I was told that the front sight gap was there to prevent scratching on installation but they were happy to send me a brass bead sight that would fit better and no cost to me. Another thumbs up to Ruger's customer service. I asked the guys at the shop about making a brass bead, they laughed and said the tolerances on their machines are bigger than the bead would be.

I got the front sight in from Ruger. It is a Novak .265 height. I got the dies and components ordered and should start coming in next week. I have already picked up powder and primers locally. I'm excited to get more rounds down range and see what this Ruger can do.

Last edited by Crazy Dane; 12-28-2017 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Duplicat photo

Quote Originally Posted by FES313 View Post
    I got the front sight in from Ruger. It is a Novak .265 height. I got the dies and components ordered and should start coming in next week. I have already picked up powder and primers locally. I'm excited to get more rounds down range and see what this Ruger can do.

*Much* better!

I got the new sight beat in last night and it is much better than the green fiber bead. It still has the gap. I think I will try some brass shim stock once I find my feeler gauges and see what size I need. If that don't work, I will copy what was done in the Match Champion sight thread. Just to note, what looks to be a chunk missing from the left hand side of the sight groove is just a piece of lint. I had too go back and look for my self after viewing the photos.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    It certainly looks better. I have the same issue on my stainless 3”. You wouldnt happen to have the part number handy would you? I’d like to order up the same as I’m not a huge fan of the FO. Plus, the brass would match the same on my WC SP101.

Nevermind. Looked on Novak’s site.

Damn...this internet thing is amazing.
    Last edited by entropy; 12-30-2017 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Because it’s 7am and i’m working on my first coffee...

Just a quick update; I finally got some bullets and brass in. It will be Monday or Tuesday next week before I get some put together, I gotta go back to work tomorrow and Sunday. I do want to give a shout out to Montana Bullet Works. The bullets were packed tight in the box and I cold not find any imperfections. They shipped fast and got across the country pretty quick too. On the other hand, who ever come up with the horrendous Fed-Ex smart post needs to be kicked in the ding-ding. I will pay for overnight shipping before paying for that smart post crap. I ordered brass on the 19 of December. It shipped out the next day and it finally arrived today. I believe it was shipped by moped slow as it moved.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Wow. Those are almost too pretty to shoot. Almost.

Agreed on SmartPost. Inventor should be wrapped in duct tape and sent to a PO Box in Schenectady.

I loaded and shot 10 rounds today. 7.4 grns of Unique with the 255 grn Keith bullet. Got an average velocity of 975.7 which was a little higher than expected. The bad news is I gotta go back to the bench and try again tomorrow. I got shotgun patterns instead of a group. I may have over crimped them. I will put up some pictures when I slow down a bit.

Congratulations...that's a very handsome revolver!!

Hope things go better with your Dad...been there done that.

In our case the key to a tolerable level of calm and peace was finding a psychiatrist who was able to correct and adjust his meds. It took a few days in a mental health facility, but things got much better....for him and for us...after that.

Prayers!!

George
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

User Tag List