Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A 5" .44 Special GP100

A 5" .44 Special GP100

So I was needing a "me" day because I have been all out of sorts dealing with my dads crap. Side bar. On this board, in my attempt to keep things sorta private, I think I may have given the impression that my dad had passed away and I apologize for that. He has been diagnosed with dementia and has fought us every damn step of the way, to the point we had him placed into DSS custody. It has taken a toll on me hence needing the me day. Now back to the topic at hand... I took the day to turn the music up loud and just go drive. My wandering route took my by a gun shop I had never been into and the preholiday traffic was backed up for ever, I decided to pop in just to see. As I played with some pistols I had only read about, the topic between me and the owner turned to big bore revolvers and how I wanted to pick something up to use as a woods gun. He goes "I've got something you need to see" and went to digging under the counter. I recognized it as GP100 as he pulled the plastic bag off. The last 2 weeks I have looked at every make and model of revolver with a caliber that starts with .4 but the barrel length through me off. He let me stammer and stutter for a few before he told me it was .44 Special. After a couple of dry fires and a little hemming and hawing I decided I needed it more than he did. It was dark when I got home so I haven't got to shoot it yet. I may get a quick chance before the holiday guests get here tomorrow. I've spent most of the night on the internet looking up reloading components and such. I did find out that the 5" barrel is a Lipsey's only offering

The only pic I have so far.

We went through the same fights with my dad and he fought right up to the bitter end. I feel your pain and frustration on that one.

The only GP I had was a DAO GPNY in .38 Special. I sold it off when I got a Model 28 and still miss it occasionally. I can't wait to hear how it shoots for you.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Very nice find. I handled the 4” in .44spc a while back, cylinder felt like a bank vault. Go shoot something and report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sweet find, I would have jumped on it too. It looks like a perfect field revolver - I recently picked up a S&W 69 for that role, but if I had come across a Ruger like yours...

Best of luck with your dad. I was my mother in law’s caregiver because my late wife was wheelchair bound and couldn’t take care of her. Mom’s descent into dementia was rough and ended up with a forced placement, too. She fought us all the way until she died. I truly hope I end up as a happy drooler instead of a feisty, angry one like Mom.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    That should be a fine gun. At the very least, field strip it and solvent clean the heck out of all the internals to get any residual gunk out of it. It would be worth smoothing the corners of hammer spring strut so the spring slides up and down it a little more smoothly. Solvent clean it when you're done, don't just wipe it off. Then lube the whole thing. Hoppes gun oil (the clear oil, not any of the cleaning products) is in my GP100 and the trigger is sweet.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I just picked up a 5.5" stainless Ruger Vaquero .357 at Tanners in Jamison PA.
    I was actually there to look at a Beretta Px4.

I got to put some rounds through it yesterday. Family showed up and I realized that there were a couple of teenage boys that had never fired a revolver. We enjoyed a little range time. I only had 2 boxes of ammo, 200 gr Speer gold dot. I got to shoot 15 rounds and they put the rest through it. I did try for one group from about 15 yards. This ammo had a tendency to shoot high and right. I'm have a little trouble with the round front sight and square notch rear, just doesn't want to line up for me. So far its a joy to shoot and the kids loved it. I did notice that it has the gap under the front sight like others have had. Is it worth the trip back to Ruger to have them fix or should I just shut up and shoot? I've got reloading stuff coming so I wont shoot it again till I get some rounds loaded. Yes, I plan on loading and shooting Skeeter and Keith loads through it.

The target I got to shoot one group on. Aiming point and corresponding group circled.

Everybody run off when we run out of these.
    Last edited by Crazy Dane; 11-24-2017 at 09:15 PM.

I've sent guns back for less.

I have been doing some research into the front sight gap. It seems recent inquires to Ruger get met with "its made that way. We will send you a brass bead sight for free" I haven't contacted Ruger's customer service yet to see what sort of response I get. I am wanting to measure chamber throats as I am having the odd flyer that opens up my groups from somewhat impressive 4 shot 1.5 inches to 3 to 4 inches with the 5th. I have identified the offending chamber and it seems small to the others. A .4295 bullet will hang up in it and needs a little push to get on through. The same bullet drops through the other chambers with ease. All of my shooting so far has been with factory loaded jacketed bullets from Blazer and Remington. I am having to borrow a set of pin gauges but they haven't got to me yet. I have also discovered that my high and right impact was caused by the blob on the end of the fiber optic rod being out of center on the front sight. if I use the frame of the sight I get center impacts. The brass bead sight may be a welcome addition. I tried taking photos but my cell phone just couldn't get it done.

I ordered one today to keep my other .44 Specs company. Came home and told my wife she bought me a great Christmas gift.
    I sure hope this is assembled and finished better than my stainless Ruger from earlier this year. If not, it will go back to be made right.
    How can you govern a country which has two hundred and forty-six varieties of cheese?

Charles de Gaulle

User Tag List