Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Speedloaders

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Can someone help me understand these Jet Loaders? I have a couple "normal" Jet Loaders for a K frame, so I'm familiar with how they work in general.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152860605271

These have some differences versus all the Jet Loaders I've seen previously. My guess is they are a competition model. The arm hanging off the side of the plunger is to hang them on a belt with hooks. The "rings" are to hold the cartridges when actually loading the loader, and are then left behind. I'm just not sure about the security of the actual holding, with such shallow holes. Seems like under pretty ordinary handling, a cartridge could tip into the center of the pattern and cease to be captured on the outer edge, thereby slipping the inner part of the rim out from under the holder. On the other hand, for gaming, they're probably pretty fast.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Man, thanks for that link. I will be a beta guy on these for sure. I hope they release the same direction as the HKS (as opposed to 5stars, going the opposite way). I’ve got a lot of water under the bridge with my thumb rolling one direction under class/competition pressure.
    I just put the J-frame ones on my wish list at Midway. Looking forward to trying them when they come out.

Can anyone give me a recommendation for currently available 5-shot speed loaders that clear the 'stock' boot grip stocks on modern J-frames? The ones that come with current production 442/642, to be specific.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Can someone help me understand these Jet Loaders? I have a couple "normal" Jet Loaders for a K frame, so I'm familiar with how they work in general.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152860605271

These have some differences versus all the Jet Loaders I've seen previously. My guess is they are a competition model. The arm hanging off the side of the plunger is to hang them on a belt with hooks. The "rings" are to hold the cartridges when actually loading the loader, and are then left behind. I'm just not sure about the security of the actual holding, with such shallow holes. Seems like under pretty ordinary handling, a cartridge could tip into the center of the pattern and cease to be captured on the outer edge, thereby slipping the inner part of the rim out from under the holder. On the other hand, for gaming, they're probably pretty fast.
    They look a lot like the modified Comp IIIs used in competition. I was thinking since they appear to be make in Austria, the arm was to simulate the handle on a beer stein which the Euro shooters are likely familiar.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by McNamara View Post
    I just put the J-frame ones on my wish list at Midway. Looking forward to trying them when they come out.

Can anyone give me a recommendation for currently available 5-shot speed loaders that clear the 'stock' boot grip stocks on modern J-frames? The ones that come with current production 442/642, to be specific.
    You can wedge the hks in there, but the release is sticky. My memory is that 5-star is slimmer and clear, but they rotate the other way, so I sold my samples off, rather than learn a new trick. Crossing my fingers on those new Lymans. If the first 2 I get work, I’ll get 10 more on the next order. I have the stock stocks on my 642, btw, but I’ve also tried the older uncle mikes and the even older flat panels too. Uncle mikes are more or less the same as stock, and everything can be made to clear the flat panels, but you’re dealing with wood and probably a tyler t-grip at that point, so I just went back to the stock S&W rubber.

Thanks. I'm going to hold off on speed loaders for a sec, but I ordered some speed strips to start since I know they'll work. I might let you be the beta tester on the new Lymans. Anyway I'm probably more likely to carry speed strips since they can conceal easily in any pocket.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    They look a lot like the modified Comp IIIs used in competition. I was thinking since they appear to be make in Austria, the arm was to simulate the handle on a beer stein which the Euro shooters are likely familiar.
    When I was stationed in Frankfurt, Germany in the mid-80s I had a membership with the local police shooting club. Right behind the pistol firing line there was a beer machine. 1 DM for a half-liter bottle of the local brew.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    Just saw a promo where Lyman has jumped into the speedloader game. Shaved sides of the loader for more access to small frame revos. Kimber comes to mind and J frames, sure Colt D frames are in there.

Here's a link: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...-aluminum-blue
    Interesting that the product description says they are from Pachmayr
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    Interesting that the product description says they are from Pachmayr
    From the looks of the website, seems as if Lyman bought Pachmayr.

Quote Originally Posted by McNamara View Post
    I can tell you that Safariland Comp-I's will NOT clear the stock rubber grips on a 442 Pro... I butchered a set to allow them to clear before I bought of set of Crimson Trace LG-405's. I don't know about HKS or other speed loaders, as I've stuck with Safariland so far.

Thanks, WDR. I'll keep that in mind.

User Tag List