Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Speedloaders

Quote Originally Posted by 167 View Post
    What gun, and what is the intended use?
    Colt Cobra. Not competition. Probably not even EDC, but I'd like to have one to practice in case I chose to do so.
    @Bill nesbit: I saw that video when I searched the forum earlier. Pretty impressive.

Just received a couple comp II with my recent revolver purchase. I like them more than HKS i used in the past. Definitely better than speed strips or fingers.....still not as good as a new york reload.
    Just a father trying to protect his family.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Pipes View Post
    I like HKS because they are robust.
    This and this.
    Got an HKS in my right front pocket as I type.

On edit: the DS version of the HKS (the one that fits the cobra) has the rounds close enough together that it seems to be easier to steer the whole circle into the cylinder as one unit, as compared to more spread out rounds (eg. GP-100). That’s the good. The bad is the fact that the loaders hang up a little on the stock grips—something common to all compact snubs with little cylinder clearance, in my experience. Maybe @Dagga Boy can comment on the new VZ grips; I’d expect them to be a little better in that regard.

But, yeah, I’ve never had an HKS dump in my pocket. Twisting that knurled knob is to me what I envision running a 1911 safety is to die-hard 1911 guys.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 11-22-2017 at 09:21 PM.

You might want to start with the HKS, "DS" size is ideal for D-frame Colt but "10" size for K-frame S&W will work. I've not seen Safariland specific to D-frame, and the K-frame does not work well with the D-frame Colt in the Safariland brand, which holds the cartridges more rigidly in line than the HKS, though Safariland is certainly faster.

Like BobM, I've seen the Safariland lock up and fail to release unpredictably after use, particularly in the "I" series but also the Comp-II. In S&Ws and Rugers, however, I've never seen the larger Comp III have a problem, unless it was "shaved" for more speed in a competition setting. It's counterintuitive, but the larger (JetLoader size) Comp III conceals remarkably well in the cell phone pocket of BDU's, or in a hip pocket at the outside edge of the pocket where it seems to hide in the hollow of the gluteus, if propped in place by something like a handkerchief. Greater length makes it faster to get out of the pocket, too.

As noted earlier by Mike Pipes and Sidheshooter, HKS is hard to beat for "robust." Back in the '70s for an article in Gun World magazine I tested all the then-available speedloaders (JetLoader and Comp III weren't out yet) by putting them in a paint can in a Red Devil paint mixer, turning on the machine, and ducking for cover. Some of the bullets literally started to mushroom in the cartridge cases. Everything but the HKS lost its rounds and some turned into shards and dust (except the rubber Safariland Firepower Clips, which lost their rounds). The HKS loaders kept all their rounds and still worked, though one or two of them had cracks between the cartridge chambers.

I have had Safariland comp 1 for 44 N frame and a J frame not release a couple times, though I flat wore out about 5 or 6 HKS for S&W 29 when riding motorcycles (Harley Davidsons) carrying them in the factory double carries. The shell rims wore into the aluminum points, effectively locking the knob in place and unable to rotate until turned upside down. Thats probably outside most peoples range of use though.

I have had HKS loaders release rounds in pocket carry several times.

Still, Safarilands are faster. No doubt about it.

For those guns they are available for, the Safarilands will feed full wadcutters about as well or better than HKS will feed semi-wadcutters.

ETA: Just remembered I had a couple HKS lose the detent ball that keeps the knob locked in position.
    Last edited by Malamute; 11-22-2017 at 10:24 PM.

I consider speedloaders to be disposable. Buy a bunch of new ones and test them just like magazines. When they are proven you use them until one gives you a problem. Then you throw it away. I mark mine just like magazines.

I've had HKS lose rounds more often than Safariland.

Site Supporter
    I had a CS-1 4" that Comp IIIs would occasionally lock up and not release in. Could never figure that one out and it was a pain in a match. Conversely I've never had a CompIII fail to release with any of my K frames. Heck it will even release full wadcutters in my non-chamfered M14-6.
    Adam

One of the tricks for Comp lll loaders was to wash them with dish washing soap and let them air dry without rinsing. Also a little shot of silicone spray once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I had a Safariland loader fail to release the rounds while I was in the academy, after that I used HKS when I had a choice.
    I had three HKS speedloaders fail to release during a match. From here on out I only use HKS for guns that I can't but Safariland speed loaders for.

ETA: I've competed with and carried a revolver for over 15 years. I've only had one Comp 2 fail me in all that time, one of the retention 'teeth' had wore down so much that it would retain the rim. I've never had one fail to release.

I don't really care for the Comp 3's although I have them for if I ever decide to play ICORE. The Comp 2's have always been rock solid for me although I'll be rather quick to admit, I've not put them in a tumbler or paint mixer.
    Last edited by Wheeler; 11-23-2017 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Reasons...
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by chingy98 View Post
    Doing some research on line, then realized I should just ask the experts. Any recs in a 6 shot speed loaders?

I did try a search but didn't find too much.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    I use Speed Bees for my .22 LR SP101 8 shot. Let's face it, loading 8 small .22 in a cylinder is time consuming, especially for those of us with big fingers. Speed Bees can be had in a 80 round ( or bigger) case. I can load 8 in two to three seconds.

https://youtu.be/61ODEfM7ZuM

User Tag List