Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Speedloaders

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Next time, put them in the freezer and grind them with a dremel. Keep frozen throughout the job.
    I used a bench grinder to smooth them out a bit after doing the major hacking with an exacto-knife. I didn't think about the freezer trick at the time. It was a temporary solution, and I didn't feel too bad about hacking up the OEM grips, since I was planning on replacing them anyway. I still have them around here, somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post

Do speedloaders work with the Crimson Trace grip?
    Yes, the Comp-I's do anyway. I don't have any other types of loaders to confirm, but I suspect HKS would work too... not my image:

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    I can tell you that Safariland Comp-I's will NOT clear the stock rubber grips on a 442 Pro... I butchered a set to allow them to clear before I bought of set of Crimson Trace LG-405's. I don't know about HKS or other speed loaders, as I've stuck with Safariland so far.

Put the grips in the freezer for a day or two before dremeling on them and they come out a little better. Hat tip to Michael deBethencourt on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I have HKS but carry speed strips when I bother to carry spare ammo, because Mike Pipes is right.

It doesn't have to be another J frame. Any gun will will work.

It doesnt have to be either/or between speed strips and speedloaders. The strips carry nicely in the watch pocket of all the jeans Ive tried them in, most can easily carry two back to back with the tabs sticking up, a speedloader carries nicely in the same pocket as the gun and helps keep it from turning around in the pocket. When I'm not carrying the J, the speed strips often just stay in the watch pocket, they arent in the way for the most part and are pretty unnoticed.

Strips and loaders are more compact and easier to carry than another gun, but if another gun works, great. I wouldnt carry another gun to the exclusion of spare loads, as the spare loads arent at all difficult to carry compared to another gun. The gun cant occupy the same real estate in the pockets as strips and speedloader.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    It doesnt have to be either/or between speed strips and speedloaders. The strips carry nicely in the watch pocket of all the jeans Ive tried them in, most can easily carry two back to back with the tabs sticking up, a speedloader carries nicely in the same pocket as the gun and helps keep it from turning around in the pocket. When I'm not carrying the J, the speed strips often just stay in the watch pocket, they arent in the way for the most part and are pretty unnoticed.

Strips and loaders are more compact and easier to carry than another gun, but if another gun works, great. I wouldnt carry another gun to the exclusion of spare loads, as the spare loads arent at all difficult to carry compared to another gun. The gun cant occupy the same real estate in the pockets as strips and speedloader.
    Not everybody wears jeans, bro.

It's not that the ammo is that hard to carry, it's that the reloads take a long damn time.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    ...I hope they release the same direction as the HKS ...
    Revisiting the new Lyman loaders, I just ran into this video... looks like they release with a counter clockwise turn. Not sure how the compares to HKS ( I have not used them).

https://youtu.be/sdtkNrzD9Vc

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    Put the grips in the freezer for a day or two before dremeling on them and they come out a little better. Hat tip to Michael deBethencourt on that one.
    The HKS will clear if you sneak in at a slight angle.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Not everybody wears jeans, bro.

It's not that the ammo is that hard to carry, it's that the reloads take a long damn time.
    After reading Tom Givens' Lessons From The Street I came to the conclusion that not a single one of those problems could not have been solved with a five shot J frame. Once I realized that I started thinking about the efficacy and necessity of having an emergency reload available. After much pondering and not a small amount of research, I've come to the conclusion that reloads for the private citizen using a firearm defensively serve three purposes.

1. The ability to clear an ammunition related malfunction.
    2. As an administrative function once the ammunition in the firearm has been partially or completely expended.
    3. As a woobie.

YMMV of course.
    Julius Caesar

What’s a woobie?

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    What’s a woobie?
    woobie (plural woobies) (US, childish) Any object, typically a blanket, garment or stuffed animal that is used simply for its comforting characteristics. (pejorative) A firearm not used for hunting or home defense, but which gives the owner a feeling of security. (US, intimate) Term of endearment.
    woobie - Wiktionary
    https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/woobie
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    Revisiting the new Lyman loaders, I just ran into this video... looks like they release with a counter clockwise turn. Not sure how the compares to HKS ( I have not used them).

https://youtu.be/sdtkNrzD9Vc
    Hmmm. This is my unhappy face.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 02-15-2018 at 07:47 PM.

User Tag List