Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Classic revolvers and those who carried them

Quote Originally Posted by eb07 View Post
    Not to hijack.... but

No way I am locking that baby up in some box. It got stag done by Grashorn from an animal my dad killed, and it not only gets carried a lot, but used in carbine classes and other classes. My dad would have wanted me to use it. In class I run his old duty rig setup. For CCW I run it in a sideguard appendix carry.

Why can I only like this post once? SCAR paired with a Combat Magnum? You know how to party.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    To the poster that asked when the Crossdraw disappeared from police duty belts, they fell out of vogue in Idaho in the mid 70s when attacks on police became more commonplace. Up until then we wore Hoyt and Safety Speed crossdraws, and they were an open invitation to a "gun grab". We wore a 12 round cartridge loop loaded with W-W Lubaloys. After we had a couple of officers killed in the line of duty we switched to Super Vel. Admin resisted the speedloaders until some were forced to qualify, and they saw the advantage, before then we reloaded out of our loops, but as an earlier poster stated we were expected to "get ur done" with six.
    A very long time ago, some departments' cars were two-seat coupes. The arrestee would be in the right seat. Having the gun in a cross-draw holster kept it away from the guy being transported. If I recall correctly, Ed McGivern made that point in his book about revolver shooting.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    A very long time ago, some departments' cars were two-seat coupes. The arrestee would be in the right seat. Having the gun in a cross-draw holster kept it away from the guy being transported. If I recall correctly, Ed McGivern made that point in his book about revolver shooting.
    I never realized that about cross draw but makes sense in that context. Not sure about today but, as late as the 90's, Nevada Highway Patrol was still using Mustang pursuit cars with a handcuff bar where the glove box normally is.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    In southern Kansas heat!? No sir, not happening, no way.
    Yours truly at 28, straight out of the plastic and so new I squeaked. The Class A wasn't bad for comfort in the winter months, but in the summer..........

We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by eb07 View Post
    Not to hijack.... but

No way I am locking that baby up in some box. It got stag done by Grashorn from an animal my dad killed, and it not only gets carried a lot, but used in carbine classes and other classes. My dad would have wanted me to use it. In class I run his old duty rig setup. For CCW I run it in a sideguard appendix carry.

And thanks for the info on cross draw. My dad loved to carry that way and did so until he passed. He came up the son of a US Cavalry man who fought against Pancho Villa and rode horses in the AZ desert until his passing as well so that may be where he got his affinity for it. Not to be ungrateful but I sure wish he had not sold that 3" python and passed that on as well.

My dad carried 6 in the gun and 12 on body in the later years.. He said back in the day he would only carry one dump pouch or belt loop looks like that in his photo as well when he was a rookie. I have the belt loop, double speed loader holder shown in my photos and double dump pouch I have stashed away.
    This. Is. Awesome.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Bill Jordan commented on that practice in No Second Place Winner. He wrote that simply applying pressure to the right elbow would prevent a draw from a cross draw holster on the left side. His suggestion was to place the gun in the center of the belt for a left hand draw.

The last time I saw anyone wearing a cross draw holster, it was an older Bailiff carrying a J frame while wearing a suit in the mid 1990’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Yours truly at 28, straight out of the plastic and so new I squeaked. The Class A wasn't bad for comfort in the winter months, but in the summer..........

Is that an original daguerreotype?
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Is that an original daguerreotype?
    Damn straight. I held Grant's beer during the surrender.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post

Standing tall!
    "We are the domestic pets of a human zoo we call civilization."

Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival."

Site Supporter
    [QUOTE=BillSWPA;1080423]Bill Jordan commented on that practice in No Second Place Winner. He wrote that simply applying pressure to the right elbow would prevent a draw from a cross draw holster on the left side. His suggestion was to place the gun in the center of the belt for a left hand draw.

The last time I saw anyone wearing a cross draw holster, it was an older Bailiff carrying a J frame while wearing a suit in the mid 1990’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Two weeks ago, I had my second total knee replacement and have been rereading some older books - one of which was "No Second Place Winner." Anyone who can make hits from the hip like Bill Jordan, Charles Askins, and others routinely did are amazing.
    "We are the domestic pets of a human zoo we call civilization."

Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival."

User Tag List