Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic revolvers and those who carried them

Classic revolvers and those who carried them

I saw this picture on Jim Wilson’s Facebook page that he had found somewhere else and thought it should be on here too. Maybe we can all add pictures of classic revolvers in action and the men who carried them. It’ll give us something to do until Dagga Boy finishes his revolver book.
    R.L Van Story best marksman sheriffs convention Breckinridge Texas 1927

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Eastex View Post
    R.L Van Story best marksman sheriffs convention Breckinridge Texas 1927
    I stopped in Breckinridge, TX on a solo three week cross country motorcycle trip back in 1997. I needed medical attention for a detached tendon in a finger and asked at a gas station if there was a doctor's office nearby. The attendant gave me directions to the regional hospital a few blocks away.

It was the first and only time in my life where I walked into a completely empty emergency room and actually had to wake up the attending physician who was sleeping on a gurney. It was the most pleasant (and fastest) emergency room visit I've ever had in my life.

Just had to relate the incident when I saw your reference to the area. (Spent the night in Davis before travelling on to NM the following day.)

I should look to see if I can find any pictures of Claude Werner.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Heh. I walked into the ER in Carmel, NY at 0430 one day with bad stomach pains. I interrupted their card game.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

So I’ve looked this photo over , is that a Model 26 ? It looks to be nickel plated maybe, possibly one of those with the longhorn stocks? I’m not as up on those as I should be. If it is that’s some pretty state of the art for 1927 out in Breckinridge. Also, he has another holster on his right side that looks pretty large. Could be a 1917 or if I had to guess probably a old Single Action.

Site Supporter
    So I’ve looked this photo over , is that a Model 26 ? It looks to be nickel plated maybe, possibly one of those with the longhorn stocks? I’m not as up on those as I should be. If it is that’s some pretty state of the art for 1927 out in Breckinridge. Also, he has another holster on his right side that looks pretty large. Could be a 1917 or if I had to guess probably a old Single Action.

No model numbers back then. This looks like either a .38-44 Heavy Duty or a Triple Lock. My best guess would be 38-44 HD.

Classic revolvers and those who carried them

From the El Paso History Alliance Facebook Page ,
    “ANTONIO CARRASCO, THE FEARED BANDIT AND GUNMAN WHO TERRORIZED THE TOWNS AND RANCHES OF THE VALLEY OF JUÁREZ, WAS EXECUTED BY FIRING SQUAD BY TROOPS LOYAL TO MADERO ON APRIL 4, 1911

Courtesy of Reidezel Mendoza Soriano and "El Juárez de Ayer."

Check out the outside the waistband appendix carry, complete with the turn of the century Clinch Pick.

Last edited by Eastex; 11-21-2017 at 09:05 PM.

Another classic from the man, Texas Ranger Frank Hamer showing a kid the finer points of appendix carry on the Capital steps in 1925

From the El Paso History Alliance Facebook Page ,
    “ANTONIO CARRASCO, THE FEARED BANDIT AND GUNMAN WHO TERRORIZED THE TOWNS AND RANCHES OF THE VALLEY OF JUÁREZ, WAS EXECUTED BY FIRING SQUAD BY TROOPS LOYAL TO MADERO ON APRIL 4, 1911

Courtesy of Reidezel Mendoza Soriano and "El Juárez de Ayer."

Check out the outside the waistband appendix carry, complete with the turn of the century Clinch Pick.
    Pancho was a bandit boy,
    His horse was fast as polished steel
    He wore his gun outside his pants
    For all the honest world to feel...

Townes Van Zandt - "Pancho and Lefty"

I always wondered how many of the appendix carries in the old photographs were so the gun would show in the photos?

User Tag List