Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic revolvers and those who carried them

Awesome post, TGS. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TGS wins the awesome post of the day award.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Awesome post @TGS!
    The riot pic is really special, has that "gritty" look that portrays the times and the event.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

That’s awesome @TGS.

Excellent post @TGS! Thanks for sharing those pics and info about your Dad.

Thanks everyone, and I'm glad you all enjoyed it so much.

Sometimes there's some pretty cool history right in our own families....don't be afraid to dig it up and post it here.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Love the old cop pictures from the 50’s & 60’s. Talked to my Dad yesterday for Father’s Day. He was a police officer from 1959-1972. Every time I hear squeaky leather, I automatically think back to my time as a kid, and can picture Dad walking through the living room with his Sam Browne belt. He lived through the tumultuous 1960’s campus riots and Black Panther movement. Feels like we are going through that again. In 1972, just a few days short of turning age 35, Dad entered duty as FBI agent. He told me he was the oldest agent trainee in his class. The FBI academy was held at some post office building in Washington at that time. While in the Academy, Hoover passed away. Dad relates how his Academy classmates got tapped to move furniture from/to Hoover’s office. My dad was not really a gun guy, but he was proficient in marksmanship. When I was a teenager, I asked him to give me a pistol shooting lesson. By then I was a member of a local Rod & Gun club, and we went one Saturday afternoon. Of course, we would be shooting the bureau gun. A S&W model 10, thin barrel, 4 inch, with a Packmayer grip adaptor, square butt. The gun he had been issued in ‘72. A couple of boxes of wadcutters later, and I was doing pretty good for my first time out. It was fun. In 1993, he retired. Good memories. Yep, it was sure nice talking to him yesterday.

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    One of my favorites, Skeeter Skelton.
    Name:  Screenshot_2020-06-29-22-25-17_kindlephoto-1573532795.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  31.0 KB

I visited Breckinridge many times back when the family had a ranch in SW Jack County. Used to get seed for the winter wheat from Turner Seed.

In nearby Graham, one of the more interesting (and tragic) conflicts of the 19th century (no, not the Salt Creek Massacre).

It’s probably best described as The Marlow Affair and served as the basis for “The Sons Of Katie Elder”.

Check out the book “The Fighting Marlows: Men Who Would Not Be Lynched”

The ambush and shootout depicted in the movie wasn’t terribly far off the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Unfortunately I don't have a 3/4 profile pic that shows the holster and cartridge loops well. The holster dropped significantly, and there were two rows of cartridge loops......if I recalled correctly, 18 rounds.
    Found it. The original setup in the 20's featured 10 spare 38 rounds and numerous 30-30 rounds, then they switched to this setup early on which they stuck with until the 80s. I'm wondering if there was some watershed event that precipitated them carrying this much spare ammo. Doing so back then is akin to having an agency today where everyone carries 4-5 spare Glock 17 mags....most of what I see from various PDs back then is 6-12 rounds, max, with many of the Mayberry-type PDs carrying no spare ammo. This, on the other hand, looks to be up to 30 rounds.

Name:  TGSSamBrowne.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  31.6 KB
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List