Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Reckoning: Sexual Harassment

I think it's a massive circle jerk of morons.

Tom Jones molested me 20 years ago!
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post

Apparently you're not alone...

Eh, it's not unusual.

Gringgop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Quote Originally Posted by gringop View Post
    Eh, it's not unusual.

Gringgop
    Why, why, why, Delilah?

What's new, pussycat?
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

You have no idea the joy I felt when this came out. What a sanctimonious hypocrite. I detest him.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I have mixed feelings about the whole thing.

On one hand, there are clearly lots of instances of workplace harassment, intimidation and violence which went unpunished, and the victims have every right to seek redress.

I'm not sure whether I think there is meaning in specifically identifying it as "sexual" harassment, intimidation, and violence. On one hand, we do as a society traditionally make that distinction; sexual assault is a separate crime from assault in every western nation I can think of.

On the other hand, it restricts the pool of likely victims and perpetrators in a really specific way. It also means that everyone who was intimidated or harassed or threatened, in situations where that was likely because massive power imbalances are the rule and not the exception, is going to get left out in the cold by this particular cleansing.

It also poses the problem of whether unsupported accusations are sufficient to destroy a career etc.

This ties in, in a very uncomfortable way in my opinion, with the whole "believe her" theme that runs through sexual assault cases in general, in which people are encouraged to uncritically accept accusations by women, against men.

So I find the issue complex and troubling. On one hand there's obvious creeps engaged in criminal and despicable behaviour and lots of that is finally coming to light after they protected themselves for years or decades with wealth and/or the support of business or political or personal allies.

On the other hand, we're seeing a feeding frenzy of highly gendered accusations and punishments and that kind of atmosphere strikes me as highly prone to abuse - in particular my experience is that there is a large wing of the feminist movement which absolutely cannot be trusted with unfettered power, and in a sense that's what this looks to be very rapidly developing in to.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    When the LA times is the voice of reason you know the targets of accusations must be democrats.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    I do want to see Bill get his day though, along with all the "feminists" who stuck up for him when the shit hit the fan.
    Early Christmas present for you: https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/ff26524...-held-the.html WaPo is also getting in on the action, but it's behind a paywall and I'm not giving those fuckers a dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Back when I was young and pretty I was actually harassed by my immediate supervisor at one point: train wreck of an older woman and it still gives me the creeps. It's not a situation that easily navigable, and that's when I didn't have to fear for my safety.
    Same thing happened to me. Not as much fun as the jokesters think it would be.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List